Alliteration- love or dislike

See the results of this poll: Alliterative names?

Respondents: 43 (This poll is closed)

• Love them! : 20 (47%)
  • Don’t really care : 14 (33%)
  • Do not like them: 9 (21%)

It depends on the names in question. Sometimes alliterative combos can be memorable and have a lot of energy. Other times they just sound silly.

I think it depends on the name. I mean, [name]Cheryl[/name] [name]Cole[/name]'s name works well alliteratively, as does [name]Steven[/name] Spielberg’s. So did [name]Marilyn[/name] [name]Monroe[/name]'s. But something like [name]Julius[/name] [name]Jones[/name] just doesn’t work at all.

I like them if the sounds are distinct enough.

[name]Malachi[/name] [name]Moss[/name]? Cool. [name]Michael[/name] [name]Matthews[/name]? Not so cool.

And FN/MN might be easier to alliterate the FN/LN. J.J. [name]Smith[/name] as opposed to J. [name]Jones[/name].

Really love a good alliteration name…they just exude energy.

My maiden name was a C/K alliteration and I loved the sound. My mother was worried it would sound funny, but rationalized it because it worked out okay for [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Kennedy[/name].

It depends on the name. My son’s name is [name]Luther[/name] and our last name starts with an L. It is memorable and has a powerful sound to it. If the two names sound too much alike then it can be cheesy sounding.

I like first and middle but not first and last. Not all, but many of them sound like fictional characters to me or something.

This is how I feel. I actually like a lot of alliterated names. I feel like they’re fun and memorable. But you can definitely go too far - kind of into comic book territory - if you’re not careful. ([name]Otto[/name] [name]Octavius[/name], [name]Pepper[/name] Potts, [name]Peter[/name] [name]Parker[/name], etc.)

My current favorite alliterated name (and 1st choice were I having a little girl today) is [name]Millicent[/name] [name]Marcy[/name].

I have an alliterative name. I always hated it, but looking back I hated it more for the letter chosen than the fact that it was alliterative. My first and last name start with Å, that impossibly Norwegian letter.

Alliteration is quite fun when done right. ^^

I think it depends. I agree with what has been said-it can either be beautiful and strong or end up being cheesy. It depends on how close the sounds are. Something like [name]Emily[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] works, but [name]Emily[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] is too close. Usually I only like alliteration if it’s the first and middle name, so the last name can balance it all out.

I love comic books but I wouldn’t want my child’s name to look like it came straight out of a comic book. I agree with @tintri - names like [name]Pepper[/name] Potts ,[name]Peter[/name] [name]Parker[/name],[name]Lana[/name] Lang,and [name]Warren[/name] Worthington, those are too much, but something like [name]Susan[/name] [name]Storm[/name],[name]Lois[/name] [name]Lane[/name], or [name]Clark[/name] [name]Kent[/name] work, because the sounds are similar but they’re different enough so they’re more subtle if anything.

I’m not entirely opposed to alliteration, but it really does just depend on the combo in question.

I love a lot of alliterative names, and would use one if my last name didn’t start with the letter H since there are not a lot of good names that start with H. I would love to do first and middle alliteration.
Those types of names can really stand out and seem to be more easily remembered. Of course like someone else said it can cross into comical depending on the names.

I like alliteration when it’s just the initial sounds and I find “M” names are my favorite by far. When other sounds are repeated the situation is more tricky. I’ve posted quite a bit about it because my favorite names are [name]Theresa[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name] but our last name is Ty$0n so we haven’t use either though I’ve come close to [name]Theresa[/name]. I think if it were just the intial “T” we’d be okay but those darn “s” make it tougher…

I tend to really love alliterative names involving initial consonants, but not middle vowels. For example, I like [name]Roseanna[/name] [name]Reed[/name], but I do not care too much for [name]Steve[/name] [name]Wheeler[/name] with the repeated long E in each name.