Alma, Iris or Eira?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries, once again I’m bugging you guys here and probably it won’t be the last time in the next several months.

As lots of you probably know, for a long time I had [name_f]Eira[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] on my signature and as my 1# name for a possible 4th girl… However, my SO came along and completely vetoed my favorite name and so for some time now, I’ve been trying to find a substitute in my heart.

The first name we could agree on was [name_f]Alma[/name_f], because he’s very spiritual and is really into the meaning. Downside: It begins with the same first two letters of my stepson [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]‘s name… and that’s a lot considering the shortness of this name. Another downside (more or less) is the fact that sometimes it gets my tongue in a twist when I say it fast or at the end of the list of all our kids’ names. The middle name that we have in the works to go with [name_f]Alma[/name_f] is [name_f]Khalila[/name_f] which is Arabic and therefor represents me and my heritage which is important. Also, it’s a nod to my favorite author of all time: [name_m]Khalil[/name_m] Gibran.

And then enters [name_f]Iris[/name_f] which is a name my SO suggested a while ago. A lot of you may think “oh nice, a name that her SO likes and that has all the sounds her favorite name [name_f]Eira[/name_f] has!”… but it doesn’t quite feel right. I want to love [name_f]Iris[/name_f], but I can’t shake off [name_f]Eira[/name_f] - what it means, how it’s spelled, how it looks. [name_f]Eira[/name_f] also came with [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] which is another name I love and couldn’t use with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] because the flow wouldn’t be right - too many “s” sounds running together. The middle names we’ve been throwing around for [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are [name_f]Khalila[/name_f] as well and possibly [name_f]Marjani[/name_f]. I wish I could insist more on [name_f]Eira[/name_f] and try to convince him, but there’s one thing in the [name_f]Eira[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] combo that is missing and that is the nod to my heritage.

I would love to know your thoughts about these names: [name_f]Alma[/name_f] [name_f]Khalila[/name_f] (which so far has received a lot of love), [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Khalila[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Marjani[/name_f] and [name_f]Eira[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f].

Help us weigh the pros and cons, please?

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] by a landslide!

I love [name_f]Eira[/name_f] and much prefer it. Sorry about the veto! DH and I also vetoed what were once each others favorite names so I feel ya.

[name_f]Eira[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are both so great. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_f]Alma[/name_f] are too similar for me, especially [name_u]Alex[/name_u] and [name_f]Alma[/name_f]. [name_f]Alma[/name_f] is so great though.

I think it could be less similar considering at the moment [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]'s primary call name is [name_u]Lexi[/name_u] (his choice). I just didn’t write [name_u]Lexi[/name_u] in my sig as not to confuse berries into thinking I have a girl [name_u]Lexi[/name_u]. :wink: But then again, we can’t predict until when he will prefer to go by [name_u]Lexi[/name_u]…

My favorites are [name_f]Alma[/name_f] and [name_f]Eira[/name_f]. I could see [name_f]Iris[/name_f] fitting in nicely too, but it doesn’t feel quite as magical to me as the other two and your daughters’ names.

I love [name_f]Iris[/name_f]

I hadn’t thought of [name_f]Mitra[/name_f]! Thank you for pointing that out! Let’s see what kind of combos we can cook with it… I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] your daughter’s name by the way!

I’m bumping this as we really would like to read more opinions!

[name_f]Alma[/name_f] - I think it’s a beautiful name with a wonderful meaning but yes, [name_f]Alma[/name_f] & [name_u]Alex[/name_u] are just a bit too close for my liking ( it also has a very different style than the rest to me but that’s not taken into consideration here)

[name_f]Eira[/name_f] - is beautiful (though I personally don’t love the look of it, being German I mainly see “Ei” meaning Egg) and would be sweet with your children, however, it seems to be that you are more in love with the entire combo than just [name_f]Eira[/name_f] but as you have the “one Arabic name” rule, [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] as the middle name wouldn’t work.

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] - this is absolutely my favourite and seems like a good compromise. You could still call her “[name_u]Ira[/name_u]” as a nickname and keep the sound you love.
To me, [name_f]Iris[/name_f] has the ability to sound hauntingly beautiful but also bridge the gap between the very classic (though also versatile) [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and the less common [name_f]Noor[/name_f] and [name_f]Ziva[/name_f], putting it at the same level as [name_f]Viola[/name_f], not as unfamiliar as the other girls’ names yet still fitting in perfectly but as it’s more commonly known, it also makes a perfect sister to [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].

Ideas for alternatives:

To keep the snow meaning:
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
[name_f]Neva[/name_f]/[name_f]Neiva[/name_f]
[name_f]Neve[/name_f]/[name_f]Nieve[/name_f]
Shiya

Similar sounds:
[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
[name_f]Cyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]
[name_f]Mira[/name_f]/[name_f]Myra[/name_f]
[name_f]Skyra[/name_f]

From the original three listed I prefer [name_f]Eira[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

Thanks for your input, you’ve given us some things to consider… It is [name_f]Alma[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] right now, though.

I would go with either [name_f]Iris[/name_f] or [name_f]Eira[/name_f]…they go so well with your other kids. Though I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] best fits into both [name_u]Alex[/name_u]'s style and [name_f]Noor[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f], and [name_f]Ziva[/name_f]'s style.

I am really liking [name_f]Marjani[/name_f]–it’s fresh and unique. I have to vote [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Marjani[/name_f]:slight_smile: