Almond

Pretty sure this is a troll post but… obviously, no.

I’m not a troll, the Nameberry page for this one says “its use for American boys goes right back to the mid-nineteenth century.” So obviously it has history as a name and is worth talking about. It’s not like I saw my elbow and thought “oh Elbow is a great name.” It reminded me of a style I knew other berries like and wanted to share

4 Likes

I have the same worries for this that I do for [name_u]Basil[/name_u]. People are very familiar with it but some pronounce it very differently. It would drive me absolutely wild if I were to use this name and then meet some of the people who pronounce the L :neutral_face: I guess it seems like it would be harder to convince them to pronounce it differently when they’ve been pronouncing the word that way for years.

But yes, if [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] can be an increasingly popular option for girls, then [name_u]Almond[/name_u] is fairplay. I think it’s just more difficult to be a new boys name - it’s a hard market to break into. I actually have a suspicion it’s more sexism ingrained in our society - “men have to be taken seriously so they have to have serious names” and other cr*p like that. If using it rocks the patriarchal boat, I’d count that as a plus in its favour.

1 Like