Almost due date and I cannot decide. Please please help!

I cannot seem to find the one. I thought when it came to choosing a name it would be the same as choosing a mate, I would just know. However, it just does not seem to be happening for me. I have made lists, I have chosen names, I stick with them for a few days, and then start second guessing. I really need your input. These are the few names that have stuck with me the past few months.

[name]Giulia[/name]- I have always liked the name, but feared it was too vanilla this spelling makes it a possibility for me. I am also italian, so that is a plus.

[name]Zoe[/name]- I have always liked this name, but I think it’s too popular. And i can’t help but think what I will think of this this name in 10 years. I am so afraid of trendy names.

[name]Francesca[/name]- I like it, also has the italian thing. but my last name is very ethic sounding and I am not sure if the two together would be overwhelming.

[name]Lila[/name]- I think its pretty, but again the trendy thing, also my husband thinks it sounds a little too sultry.

[name]Leah[/name]- I like it but it is very popular.

What do you think? I have seen so many family members and friends decide so quickly on a name and stick with it. I don’t understand why I cannot just hear a name and think that is the one. Has anyone had this issue? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

[name]Giulia[/name] - I love this and if you’re Italian you can get away with this spelling. I love it as [name]Julia[/name] too though, so pretty and classic and it worked for [name]Julia[/name] [name]Roberts[/name]!

[name]Zoe[/name] - I like this name but I don’t love it. It’s been well used for years in the UK and I went to school with a lot of [name]Zoe[/name]'s. I think your concern about 10 years time is right. [name]Will[/name] [name]Zoe[/name] be like the Kellys and Tiffanys of the 80s or the Jennifers of the 70s? I fear it’s so popular right now that in 10 or 20 years it will seem dated.

[name]Francesca[/name] I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name]! My cousin (who is also my best friend) is [name]Francesca[/name] and we call her Cesc or Cesca but you also have the nn options of [name]Fran[/name], [name]Franny[/name] and [name]Frankie[/name] :slight_smile: Why not pair it with a classic middlename if you’re worried about overdoing the Italian theme? Like [name]Francesca[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Francesca[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]?

[name]Lila[/name] - see my comments on [name]Zoe[/name]. Though I prefer this name as it’s prettier to me. What about [name]Lina[/name]/[name]Lena[/name] or [name]Lilah[/name]? I prefer these similar names.

[name]Leah[/name] I do like but it doesn’t seem special enough. [name]Lia[/name] seems to make it work better for me but I’m still not sure. What about it as a middlename? Or what about [name]Lianne[/name]/[name]Leanne[/name]? [name]Leanna[/name]?

[name]Giulia[/name] - I really like it.

[name]Zoe[/name] - I really like this name, too. Hopefully it won’t get super popular.

[name]Francesca[/name] - love it! [name]Love[/name] nn [name]Francie[/name]. If I were you, I think this could be the one. It would be one of my very faves, but it doesn’t go with my last name at all.

[name]Lila[/name] - Very pretty, is likely to get super popular. What about [name]Dahlia[/name]? Or [name]Nola[/name]?

[name]Leah[/name] - I love [name]Lea[/name]. And what about [name]Leona[/name]?

Maybe you would love

[name]Antonia[/name] nn [name]Nina[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] nn [name]Millie[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] nn [name]Talia[/name]
[name]Simona[/name]
[name]Vivianna[/name] nn [name]Vivi[/name] - one of my favorites

You don’t have to have a very favorite. [name]Just[/name] have a handful of favorites, and then when your daughter is born, you can see which name suits her the most. Have some middle names picked out, too. That’s what we did.

[name]Just[/name] thought of another one…[name]Leonie[/name]?

Super cute name!

Funny, I agree with you on pretty much every point about each name! If I was picking from the names you listed, I would pick Guilia. It’s a beautiful name and not overused.

I agree with pp who said that you have some great names to choose from here, and can bring your two or three front-runners (with middles) and see what she looks like.

Of your options, I personally prefer [name]Francesca[/name]. I don’t think it’s too much even with an ethnic last name - in fact I think all the nn options give you plenty of versatility to fit each phase of her life.

[name]Julia[/name] I also love, but if [name]Julia[/name] is too vanilla for you (I can understand that) then I don’t think [name]Giulia[/name] is the one for you - spelling it differently does not cut down on the number of [name]Julias[/name] she meets (she’ll still be [name]Giulia[/name] X in school if there are multiples) and obviously doesn’t change the sound of the name or how many times you hear it on the playground, etc.

[name]Zoe[/name], [name]Lila[/name] - I think might be too trendy for you.
[name]Leah[/name] - I find this one ‘vanilla’ - much more so than the lovely [name]Julia[/name] imo!

If you want other options, how about:
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Adrianna[/name]/[name]Adrienne[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]

Good luck!

If you are afraid of trendy names, then to me your choice of those you mentioned is clear: [name]Francesca[/name]. If you want to go a bit less ethnic and simpler/shorter, then [name]Cara[/name], mentioned earlier, is a good choice. While [name]Leah[/name] is fairly stylish I don’t think it’s trendy, but [name]Zoe[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] certainly are.

On your list I like [name]Giulia[/name] and Franchesca. [name]Lia[/name] could be a nn for [name]Giulia[/name]. I think that [name]Julia[/name]/[name]Giulia[/name] is a great classic name and will work for your daughter throughout her life.

I also had a hard time deciding on a name for my son before he was born. So we went to the hospital with a short list. After I saw him he only looked like one of the names! So don’t worry too much right now, she will help you decide when she is born.

I know an Italian [name]Lea[/name] (feminine form of [name]Leo[/name]) pronounced [name]Lay[/name]-uh. I think it’s really pretty.

I agree with [name]Pam[/name]…[name]Francesca[/name] or [name]Cara[/name]!

I understand your struggle. Naming our first was really easy then again we had decided before she was even conceived but choosing “THE RIGHT NAME” is a real dilemma…
Anyway, i totally agree with [name]Pam[/name]

I think [name]Francesca[/name] is gorgeous! [name]Love[/name] the nn possibilities and contrary to thinking it is too much with an ethnic last name, I think it works better when paired with an ethnic last name. [name]Love[/name] it!

[name]Francesca[/name] is my favorite from your list. [name]Lovely[/name] name !

I really like [name]Francesca[/name]. It is feminine and pretty but not uncommon or over used either. The spelling [name]Giulia[/name] throughs me off when I read it, I dont care for it. [name]Zoe[/name] is cute, and in there lies the problem. Can you really picture as adult names [name]Zoe[/name]? I cant. [name]Lila[/name] is beautiful, it is becoming more popular but I wouldnt call it trendy just yet. I think it is still a safe bet. [name]Leah[/name] is lovely, and I dont think it is popular at all. I’ve never met a yound child named [name]Leah[/name], and only a couple adults. [name]Jon[/name] and [name]Kate[/name] Gosselin have likely increased the popularity of the name [name]Leah[/name] though.

My first pick would be [name]Francesca[/name] and my second [name]Leah[/name].

Of the names you’ve suggested, [name]Francesca[/name] seems the best fit for your desire to find something pretty, enduring, but not super popular.

I’d add:

[name]Leila[/name]/[name]Leyla[/name]
[name]Lelia[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Gabriella[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]

I like the names you listed. I think even if a name is a little popular it shouldn’t matter… if you like it then that should be all that matters :slight_smile:

I am fretting the same as you!! I have decided that ppl who really love names have a much harder time choosing. We’re looking ahead, thinking of all the circumstances surrounding a name, and we are more thoughtful bc we know how much a name shapes a person…or vice versa. I have an ethnic Italian name as well, and used to be worried about an Italian name being too much as well, but the more I think about it, the more I like the romantic, sophisticated and exciting possibilities. Have fun with it!