Alternative name to Shine

[name_u]Friend[/name_u] of mine is about to adopt a five year old retired show dog (English Spaniel Male) named Shine. He doesn’t like the name but doesn’t want to change it unless he can find something similar. In the past he adopted a [name_u]Cali[/name_u] and changed it to Hawaiian [name_f]Mele[/name_f] (Merry) because of the rhyming ending and similar sounds. I told him I would attempt to find a one syllable name that rhymes with Shine. All he could think of was Wine or Whine which doesn’t work. I thought of [name_u]Shane[/name_u] & [name_u]Sean[/name_u] but I know there has got to be more options out there. Bonus if it has a connection to the Hawaiian culture because him and his wife lived there for many years and love the culture. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a side not my friend is 77 and a well read and well traveled individual just so you know his vibe.

[name_m]Sheen[/name_m]
Kine - Hawaiian pidgin term “da kine”
[name_f]Aina[/name_f] - ʻāina means “land, earth” in Hawaiian
[name_f]Kala[/name_f] - emphasis on second syllable. Ka lā = “the sun” in Hawaiian

1 Like

Wow these are so thoughtful, thank you! I’ll pass them along to him. I’m sure he’ll love them

Thanks! I surely am not Hawaiian in ancestry, but I am fascinated by the culture, language, and history of Hawai’i. These were just a few suggestions that popped in my head immediately. https://wehewehe.org/ is a great Hawaiian dictionary.

1 Like

Congrats to your friend on his new dog!
Some more that sounds like Shine, with that long I sound

Lino/Linus
[name_u]Clyde[/name_u]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Wild[/name_u]
[name_u]Cairo[/name_u]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_m]Clive[/name_m]
[name_m]Giles[/name_m]

1 Like

I know a dog named [name_u]Chai[/name_u] which I think is so cute and sounds similar!

[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] is another idea

1 Like

[name_f]Nine[/name_f]
[name_u]Pine[/name_u]
Rhine
Swine

1 Like

Cyan
Ryan
Brian
Silas
Shep

1 Like

[name_f]Kline[/name_f]
Climb
[name_u]Shy[/name_u]
Rhyme
Prime
[name_f]Blyth[/name_f]
[name_f]Tiny[/name_f]
[name_m]Cy[/name_m]
[name_u]Rye[/name_u]
[name_u]Shea[/name_u]
[name_m]Stein[/name_m]
[name_u]Sky[/name_u]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]

1 Like

Wow [name_m]Lino[/name_m], [name_u]Miles[/name_u] and [name_m]Giles[/name_m] work surprisingly well and I never would have thought of them. Thank you!

1 Like

These are both great ideas! Thank you

[name_f]Kline[/name_f] is great! Thank you

Since it is an [name_f]English[/name_f] Spaniel, [name_f]Tyne[/name_f] like the river in [name_u]England[/name_u]

1 Like