Alternatives to Vernon?

Hello! I want to honor my grandfather [name_u]Vern[/name_u] ([name_u]Vernon[/name_u]). I like the first name [name_u]Vernon[/name_u], but my husband doesn’t think it’s masculine enough. We tend to like western/ cowboy names. We already decided the middle name will be [name_u]Wendell[/name_u] after his grandfather. Any ideas for alternatives?

1 Like

Sound wise you could use [name_m]Veren[/name_m], but [name_u]Vernon[/name_u] means “place of alders” so [name_u]Alder[/name_u] might be really sweet!
[name_m]Naim[/name_m] means “river with alder trees; happy" and [name_m]Nairn[/name_m] “river with alder trees”

3 Likes

I think [name_u]Vernon[/name_u] is quite masculine! I can’t think of any female names that sound like it.
If you’re still not sure, I really like the previous poster’s idea of [name_u]Alder[/name_u].
Other suggestions:
[name_u]Vaughn[/name_u] (pronounced von) sounds similar to [name_u]Vern[/name_u]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe just [name_m]Von[/name_m]
Names with a ‘‘ver’’ sound in them: [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_u]Everest[/name_u], [name_m]Gulliver[/name_m] or [name_u]River[/name_u]
Names with an ‘‘ern’’ sound in them: [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] or [name_m]Ernest[/name_m]
Names ending in -on: [name_m]Anton[/name_m], [name_m]Byron[/name_m], [name_m]Clayton[/name_m], [name_m]Deacon[/name_m], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], [name_u]Lennon[/name_u], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_u]Orion[/name_u], [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]. I think [name_u]Lennon[/name_u] is the most obvious honor name because it ends in -non like [name_u]Vernon[/name_u], but the others could work too, especially the two-syllable ones

1 Like

Verner
[name_u]Lennon[/name_u]
[name_m]Earnest[/name_m] (nn ernie)
[name_u]Vinny[/name_u]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_u]Denver[/name_u]
Evertson/Everson
[name_m]Glover[/name_m]
[name_u]Lavern[/name_u]
[name_m]Vaughan[/name_m]
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m]
[name_m]Valerian[/name_m]

Donovan?

1 Like

I ditto Madi. :slight_smile:

Verner maybe? I think it’s a [name_m]German[/name_m] name. Sounds very outdoorsy and masculine to me.

Vernon sounds masculine to me

Vincent, [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u], [name_m]Bernard[/name_m], [name_m]Vance[/name_m], [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] maybe?

I love this suggestion!

For [name_u]Vernon[/name_u], definitely [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u] I think would be the best honor name.

Oh, I love [name_u]Vernon[/name_u] and it seems to be a nature/western name! It was used by many hearty men through the ages.

Verne? [name_u]Vern[/name_u]? [name_m]Vernal[/name_m]? I bet it could grow on your husband, and if not, it’s your grandfather.

Just looked up a list of famous Vernons. So far I counted 5 American football players and 1 Canadian football player, a karate person, a basketball player, a boxer, a cricketer, and a baseball player.