Am I alone with this...?

This is my first post to the nameberry forums, so here goes a quick introduction: My name is [name]Roxie[/name] (n”e [name]Roxanne[/name]), 26, married, Brooklynite by choice, utterly international family. My husband and I are not expecting, but nonetheless arguing about baby names (we’re about that age, I guess :slight_smile: ).

Now to the point. I am completely taken with the girl’s name [name]Damiane[/name] (Dah-mee-ahn - think French). I think the name is truly unique, sounds strong, has a lovely meaning, etc. etc. My mother thinks I am nuts, and my husband has chosen to simply ignore me on this one. Am I really the only one who believes [name]Damiane[/name] is a beautiful, or even feasible girl’s name?

Thoughts, anyone? I’d appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard of it before, but it’s lovely. Like you, I absolutely love the pronunciation! Definitely French.

In terms of people’s reactions, you might get a few confused/startled faces (as you will with basically any name that’s not [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Parker[/name], [name]Jaylynn[/name], [name]Ella[/name], etc.), but they’ll get used to it. It may also take people a few reminders to get the pronunciation right. Without knowledge of French, they might be apt to call her [name]DAY[/name]-mee-[name]ANN[/name] or something like that.

That said, the name is gorgeous and unique, and I think you should keep working on your mother and husband!

I’ve never heard it before either, but I think it’s got quite a pretty sound. I would be worried about the pronunciation, as with any French name in [name]America[/name]. I doubt that many American people would pronounce it right, even after you tell them lots of times. She’d probably be called [name]Day[/name]-mee-ann, or even just [name]Damian[/name]. If you don’t like the American pronunciation, I wouldn’t name her that. I love French names too, but the way Americans say most of them makes me not even consider them. But if you can handle the American pronunciation, then I would keep working on your husband! I think it’s beautiful in French!

I am sorry, but I think Americans will pronounce it [name]Damian[/name]. I would keep looking. Names similar to [name]Damian[/name] often have a demon connotation and she would probably be nicknamed “Dam” or “Dame”.

I like your French flair, though. I think you may find another beautiful French name that your daughter will adore.

I think the spelling/pronunciation could throw people – maybe a [name]Do[/name]- instead of a Da- would prevent that. But if you are in love with a name having to correct people won’t bother you. I say don’t settle for a name you don’t love.

I too am considering a french name for a little girl - Segolene. But I don’t mind if it’s “mispronounced” since I like both: [name]Say[/name]-go-lean or Seg-o-lene or even Seg-o-line. They all work for me.

[name]Even[/name] Segway jokes I don’t mind - wave of the future!!

That said, [name]Damiane[/name] would definitely be called [name]Damian[/name] and changing it to “[name]Do[/name]” would make it worse!! Domaine – Like Domain!! Maybe she meant something different like [name]Dominique[/name] which I think it nice.

[name]Damiane[/name] looks like it would be pronounced “Dame-ee-aine”, and looks similar to the male name ‘[name]Damian[/name]’. However, I love the French language & many French names.
I have never seen this one in particular, but I do like it (phonetically, at least!).
Maybe if the spelling was different: Dhamyean, Dahmeean, Dahmyean, Domiyahn, Dawmeyan, etc…

[name]Lovely[/name]? Yes
Feasible? No.

Damianne will forever be called [name]Damian[/name] and mistaken for a boy. It’s a lovely sounding name, but it just doesn’t work in the real world.