Am I being ridiculous?

So recently I went to my parents for my dads birthday and my sister came over to cook stuffed peppers. I got there first with the cake and my sister called the house to ask if my mom had disposable gloves she could use because she’d forgotten to pick some up. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom said no but she had reusable rubber gloves in the bathroom she could use.
[name_f]My[/name_f] mom has had these rubber gloves for years and they’re used to clean the bathroom. This means that not only do they come into contact with the gross stuff in the bathroom but also chemicals you shouldn’t ingest.
I told them that I didn’t think it would be a good idea to prepare food with them but everyone seems to think I’m overreacting.
[name_f]My[/name_f] family has said for years that I’m a germaphobe which I don’t think is true. It all started when I was a kid and i kept telling my dad to cover his mouth when he coughed and sneezed because he had the tendency to turn his head toward a room full of people before coughing/sneezing into the air. I stopped sharing hairbrushes after I got lice and that kind of tipped it I think, now everything’s in a major germaphobe.
Thoughts ? Am I overreacting about using gloves that have been exposed to cleaning products to prepare food?

1 Like

No, I wouldn’t say so. I’d be cautious to use gloves that have come in direct contact with germs and cleaning products even if they’ve been washed.

1 Like

I wouldn’t DREAM of preparing food with gloves that I ever used to clean a bathroom, or actually anything else for that matter.
You are not a germaphobe for knowing that’s gross and a bad idea. Your family, quite simply, has must not have high standards for cleanliness, and forgive me for being rude but you shouldn’t be made to feel ridiculous or question yourself because others are acting ridiculously. There’s nothing wrong with having a decent standard for yourself, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.


That makes perfect sense to me. I would never prepare food with gloves used to clean the bathroom. That seems like common knowledge

1 Like

Oh eww! I’m definitely on your side. Cleaning chemicals, gloves, and all are completely separate in our house.

I think your reasoning perfectly makes sense. I’m surprised how they are okay with this :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You’re right about the gloves :wink:

My stepfather is someone who does some “gross” things as well, like wiping the sweat from his forehead with a towel other people use to dry their hands etc. Whenever me or my brother called him out on it he used to say we were overreacting as well. So I can understand how you feel :slightly_smiling_face:

I think you are right to be cautious, and you not necessarily a germaphobe for thinking about that.

Definitely not overreacting. That glove situation sounds super gross! :nauseated_face:

Not at all. I can’t imagine why they’d think this is ok?!

1 Like