Am I completely crazy...

…to like [name]Wendell[/name] for a girl?

I’ve always inexplicably liked this name, but my husband won’t hear of it for a son - and I can see why; I do imagine it’d take a certain kind of boy to carry it off well. To my surprise, though, husband also said he thought [name]Wendell[/name] could be cute on a girl.

Normally I’m not a fan of the boys’ names for girls thing… but I kinda like it! It has the elements of [name]Wendy[/name] and [name]Kendall[/name] (neither of which I’m terribly fond of but both are accepted as feminine names) and I think it’s got a sort of geek-chic flair to it. What do you think, am I nuts?

You’re slightly nuts… I can’t picture it on a girl right now but I’m trying. Calling her Wennie or [name]Dell[/name] would be quite cute…

If you are prepared for a daughter known as [name]Wendy[/name], then it is okay.

I don’t think your crazy at all, simply because [name]Wendell[/name] has a very similar sound to some other names for girls like [name]Kendall[/name] and [name]Adele[/name]. I think [name]Wendy[/name] would be the intuitive n.n.

We had a pot belly pig named [name]Wendell[/name], so sadly that is all I can picture. [name]Wendy[/name] is actually a really cute and refreshing name for a girl, but [name]Wendell[/name] not so much.

Personally, I don’t like it for either gender. However, it doesn’t sound entirely unfeminine to me as a name; I’d be no more surprised to meet a girl named [name]Wendell[/name] than a female [name]Logan[/name] or [name]Ryan[/name], for instance.

Like pp, I’m having more trouble liking [name]Wendell[/name] itself than reimagining it on a girl.

If you use it, just be sure it is love and not infatuation because I think regrets are possible with this one.

No. It’s not a girl’s name. I actually know someone whose mother is named [name]Wendell[/name] and she goes exclusively by [name]Wendy[/name] because she hates her name so much. If you like the sound, how about [name]Gwendolen[/name] nicknamed [name]Wendell[/name]/[name]Wendy[/name]?

Please don’t. [name]Wendell[/name] is a very masculine name. To me it would be like naming a girl [name]Harry[/name] or [name]Walter[/name]. They have the same sort of feel. There are lots of ways to get to the nickname [name]Wendy[/name], or even [name]Del[/name].

[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
etc.

[name]Wendell[/name]? Thats a complete tuxedoed butler sort of manly name. I just can not picture a little girl named [name]Wendell[/name].

I’d say you’re completely crazy. :wink:

This. I picture a butler or chauffeur when I hear the name [name]Wendell[/name].

And dont forget the Arrested development song about a homeless man named Mr Wendal. There’s s classic we forgot about…

I vote for [name]Gwendolyn[/name].it actually has the name wendell in between the g and the yn.

Or you could go the made up route and do a Wyndelle. That would push you over to the crazy side or maybe force you to trademark the name to use for a window cleaning product.

Okay, so crazy’s the consensus, good to know. :lol: I wasn’t sure if I should seriously consider it or not, but this is all hypothetical anyhow, considering my second is just over a month old. (I’m not a fan of any of the “[name]Gwen[/name]” names either.) Guess this is another one to shelve…

You might try [name]Mendel[/name]? It’s pretty Jewish, but I think it has a certain appeal. It’s definitely close to [name]Wendell[/name] anyway.