Am I naming myself into a hole?

We [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] for our daughter due in february.

But we’re afraid that if we use it we’ll be stuck with -ie/-y endings for baby #3 and possible baby #4, because our son is named [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] [name_m]Conrad[/name_m].

Should we put [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] on the middles list instead, or just go for it?

For me personally, I wouldn’t do it if I planned on having more kids because it seems like you started a theme, but then switched. If you have a 3rd, they might feel left out.

It’s how you feel about it that matters. For me, I would move it the middle or skip it (our last name ends in a -y sound so this wouldn’t even be on the table for us).

I don’t think it will be a problem, at all! Name your baby what you love without getting too caught up in the idea that you child will be left out. I am the only girl in my family of 4 kids that does not end in A. I didn’t notice until I was like 25 and I did not/do not care one bit. I am so happy that my parents chose names that they loved and didn’t sweat the small stuff…like an ending.

If you love [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], definitely use it as a first!

It’s honestly not a big deal. Maybe, if you had six children which names all ended in -ie/-y and then chose, say, [name_f]Luna[/name_f], I might notice. But for you, it’s really not a problem. I’m sure your daughter will appreciate the fact that you gave her a name you truly love, instead of a name that has to fit in to a scheme. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s a big issue. [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] sound wonderful together in your opinion. The spellings are different (-ay and -ie) and I don’t think anyone will notice if you decide to choose a name that doesn’t end in the long E sound for a future child.

My general rule is that two is a coincidence but three is a pattern.

I see no problem with it! None at all. I personally don’t think two similar names creates a theme. Three or four, maybe. But two doesn’t unless it’s very blatant (ie. [name_f]Tangerine[/name_f] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], or [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] and [name_f]Indira[/name_f]). [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] and [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] sound great together and the third could definitely have a different ending.

If you love [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], use it! Honestly, I don’t see a problem!

I can’t understand why people consider that much sibling names. Well, I don’t mean it’s OK naming your seven children like my great grandmother did ([name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], [name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] and [name_m]David[/name_m], yes [name_m]David[/name_m] seems odd and so what?) but every child has their own name. What if your son is [name_m]Findlay[/name_m], your daughter [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] and a future child say [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] or [name_f]Annemarie[/name_f]? Your children are connected because they are siblings, you don’t need to care that much of how their names sound together.To be honest I didn’t think that [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] are a theme, they seem normal to me. Use the names you love because if you don’t you will probably regret it

I would go for it and use [name_f]Elodie[/name_f].

I would go for it, it’s really not noticeable enough to be an issue - [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] sound good as siblings.

[name_m]Findlay[/name_m] & [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] sound great together, and it’s not close enough to be backing yourself into that style so I wouldn’t worry.

Hame her [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] and don’t have any more kids! :wink:

I think it’ll be fine

I say you should do it and have the third kid be the pattern breaker. It’s nice to mix things up.

I love [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] together!! We have an [name_u]Evan[/name_u] and [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] and I love their names together too… if we have another baby, we will just name her or him whatever we love and sounds good to us:)

I think [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] and [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] go well together.

I think if you love a name then use it. I know what you mean though, I’d worry too if I felt like I was starting a theme but at the end of the day, I dont think it really matters! Also, as someone has previously mentioned, its not like they’re both -ay names, as [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] is an -ie!

I don’t see it as a deal breaker. I try to avoid the same endings, too, but if I found a name that I just loved and it wasn’t too matchy, I would still use it without worrying about it seeming like a theme. [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] don’t seem overly matchy to me, and I wouldn’t assume that any other siblings would end in the ee sound.

I like them together and don’t think it would be a problem at all. Although the endings sound the same they are spelled differently, so I would definitely go with the name you love. I really like [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]!