Am I smack dab in the middle of trendy?

So I have been naming my second child since [name]Phoebe[/name] was born 4 years ago. Now I am really ready to have another (recently had a miscarriage for those who caught my earlier announcement), but I feel like all my previously undiscovered gems are now the next big thing. I was reading a post on another blog wherein the writer makes suggestions for expectant parent and [name]EVERY[/name] one of my girl names was on her suggestion list. My top picks are…

[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Sybil[/name]

These have been at the top of my list of a couple of years. But now [name]Blythe[/name] is one of Nameberry’s top predictions, and I feel like I hear [name]Susannah[/name] and especially [name]Sylvie[/name] all the time now, and [name]Sybil[/name] is on Downton [name]Abbey[/name]! I’ve recently been toying with adding a couple of new names. [name]June[/name], which I [name]LOVE[/name], but I know it’s making big jumps on the SSA list, and is on a new sitcom. Also [name]Phoebe[/name]'s middle name is [name]Jane[/name], so that’s close. And [name]Maxine[/name], which was my grandmother’s name. Is it cute? I can’t even tell anymore. What do you think? Have I waited too long and now all my favorites are EVERYONE’S favorites?!

So sorry for your loss, we’ve lost two angels in the last 10 months so I know how you feel… [name]Phoebe[/name] is actually one of our top options if/when we have a girl…I adore [name]Blythe[/name] and although it’s on nameberry quite a bit I’ve never met a [name]Blythe[/name]… I would be careful about [name]Maxine[/name] only because [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Simpson[/name] is naming her little girl [name]Maxi[/name] so [name]Maxine[/name] might get more popular…

So sorry for your recent loss. :frowning:

I hear ya on the names… [name]Helena[/name] has long been on my list (family name), I’ve always loved [name]Sylvie[/name]/[name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name] is a recent love of mine that I actually plan on pitching to Dh because he loves “anna” names, and we’ve had to rule out a lot of them. That said, I was shocked to see that many of these names are still very obscure as far as the SSA list goes. I don’t think these names are “trendy” so much as gaining ground in “naming communities” where people tend to throw around certain names, go through phases, etc that the general population doesn’t really get “into” so much. I also think that as long as a name is classic, legit, spelled correctly etc it will most likely never be considered “trendy” but more just have seasons of popularity. The exceptions to this rule of course are names like [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] which skyrocketed so high and have been sitting at the top of the list now for several years that yes, they feel trendy no matter how lovely the names are.

This is my one fear lol… that I will pick a name that goes from ranking 1500 or something to #1 in a few short years because to me that is the only deal-breaker/regret I could really have. Otherwise, a good name is just a good name and it’s rankings don’t necessarily mean it’s going to be “trendy.”

In my parts, I don’t see any of the names on your list becoming trendy any time soon. I like [name]Clementine[/name] best.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

From your list, I see Helena as the most stable and non-trendy. Sybil, too, though I don’t know how Downton Abbey will affect its popularity - I love the name though! Blythe feels very trendy to me, with Susannah and Sylvie somewhere in the middle. I know Clementine is quite trendy in Britain, not sure about the States. I honestly can’t stand the name and don’t see the appeal, but that’s just me.

Of your two new additions, I feel June is rather trendy, particularly as a middle name - it’s also too close to Jane for my liking. I love Maxine and don’t see it becoming trendy anytime soon, Jessica Simpson notwithstanding.

Edited to add, I mean “trendy” in terms of the Nameberry community and places where there are large groups of Berry-esque parents (i.e., Brooklyn and San Francisco), not “trendy” as in what’s hot with Jo Q. Mom (no offense to her)!

I love [name]Helena[/name], and I think it’s probably the least “trendy” (not actually trendy, but a lot of people are using it right now) on the list! All your names are great!

I think your names are great! I think some of them are really well liked and maybe ‘trendy’ in name circles but probably less so in the general population. I don’t think you’ll need to worry about your child being one of three Clementines in their class! I know I’d be surprised (pleasantly!) to meet a little girl with any of those names!

Depending on where you live I highly doubt you will run into any kids with these names, I also doubt (but could be wrong) that [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Simpson[/name] actually goes through with the [name]Maxwell[/name] name.

I just want to say that you’re not smack dab in the middle of trendy, because none of these names are trendy. They are, however, on trend. To me, there is a huge difference. A name that’s on trend has the potential to become popular, yes, but, again, popular and trendy aren’t synonymous. If popularity is your issue, that’s one thing, but being on trend is only a problem if you have a desperate wish to be the trendsetter!

[name]Blythe[/name] may be one of the top predictions for the coming year on NB, but I don’t buy it. [name]Blythe[/name] is still just a little too heavy to my ear to really “make it,” as is [name]Sibyl[/name] - they’re just a bit too fusty and lacking in the cute factor that has bounced many a vintage name from [name]Charlotte[/name] to [name]Stella[/name]. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use them, doesn’t mean they aren’t still on trend, but I just don’t see them hitting it big. Off your list, [name]Sylvie[/name] is the hottest, hands down. I definitely see [name]Sylvie[/name] continuing to climb, but she still isn’t trendy. [name]Susannah[/name], too, and [name]Helena[/name] to an extent, are names on the rise, for good reason - they’re vintage but playful with fun nicknames. [name]Clementine[/name] is a different story, partly because she’s a definite style and a bit of an acquired taste, simply because she’s so cute. Cutesy, even, to be frank. A more staid nature name like [name]Iris[/name], although it might be more widely appealing and therefore have the potential to be more popular, probably has a little more staying power.

So, what should you do? I’d maybe just use one of your top picks. They are your top picks for a reason, right? And, [name]Helena[/name] is a great fit with [name]Phoebe[/name], the best off your list, I think. Worried about [name]Blythe[/name]? Try [name]Faye[/name], if you aren’t wary of the F (PH) sound. [name]Clementine[/name] a little too hot for you? Try [name]Briar[/name], Celandine, [name]Lilith[/name], [name]Marigold[/name], [name]Magnolia[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Rosanna[/name], [name]Rosaline[/name], or [name]Viola[/name]. [name]Helena[/name] can be subbed with [name]Imogen[/name] or [name]Cassandra[/name]. Instead of [name]Susannah[/name], try [name]Miriam[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Prudence[/name], [name]Rebecca[/name], or Hosanna. No [name]Sylvie[/name]? No problem - [name]Amelie[/name], [name]Delphine[/name], [name]Eva[/name] [EH-va], [name]Eveline[/name], [name]Fleur[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name], and [name]Lucienne[/name] are all great alternatives! And, finally, for [name]Sybil[/name], you could play around with [name]Ada[/name], [name]Celia[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Eula[/name], [name]Gwyneth[/name], [name]Ingrid[/name], [name]Margot[/name], [name]Romola[/name], [name]Zara[/name], [name]Zora[/name], or [name]Zola[/name].

[name]Lemon[/name]

PS If you use [name]June[/name] with [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Jane[/name], I would feel like you’ve got to use [name]June[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] for the sake of matching.

PPS [name]Maxine[/name] has cute potential, with the right nickname. But, beware - [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Simpson[/name] is rumored to be naming her baby girl [name]Maxwell[/name], to go by [name]Maxie[/name] for short. [name]Maxine[/name] and other related names will be a hit or miss after if that rumor proves true.

esrever88: yeah i live in the bay area and i gotta tell ya, there are some fashionable names on the playground! Around here it’s a really tough thing to figure out whats on trend (in order to side-step it). I hear [name]Finn[/name], [name]Anabel[/name], [name]Quincy[/name], etc all the time. So, it depends where you live, for sure.
I don’t think these names will become extra popular anytime soon. [name]Just[/name] because they’re fashionable with berries (and bay area-types) doesn’t mean you’ll be hearing them on a bunch of little ones anytime soon.
I think they’re all unusual enough to be uncommon for a while.

juliet.a - I live in NorCal as well. [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] seem to be especially prominent in my particular area.

woo! <3 NorCal!