Am I the only one who's warming up to...

[name]Lois[/name]? I can totally see a little toddler with that name. Is it only me??

I think you’re the only one.
Whenever I hear the name [name]Lois[/name], I think of one of two things:

1. The grumpy, but hilarious, mom from [name]Malcolm[/name] in the Middle, or
  2. The slutty, weird voiced mom from Family [name]Guy[/name] that the family dog loves.

haha, yes, I know, weird shows that I watch. But, because of those two shows, I can just never see [name]Lois[/name] being used outside of television.

[name]Ah[/name], yes, I’m not a big tv-watcher, so I don’t have those associations. And I don’t think we’re having any more kids, so at most it will probably be a dog name. I’ll have to see if anyone else weighs in!

I can see [name]Lois[/name] as a toddler. But then I also named my daughter [name]Dorothy[/name] which is kind of a weird dated name. I do prefer [name]Louise[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] to [name]Lois[/name] though. Good luck!

I can definitely see it. I think [name]Lois[/name] is soon ready for a revival.

It has the short, lyrical tone tone like [name]Lola[/name], the biblical vibe of [name]Leah[/name] and [name]Ruth[/name] and that slightly musty style of [name]Edith[/name] and [name]Mabel[/name] that are hip now.

A few years ago I worked in a Nursery and there was a little 4 year old girl called [name]Lois[/name]. It really suited her and had me really warming to to the name.

I think it’s one of those names (like [name]Ruby[/name] 8-10 years ago) where it takes someone brave enough to use it on a little girl for it to start to loose its “grandma” association and be recognised for its qualities. Generally people associate names with the last person they met with that name. So if the last person they met was a grandmother they think “grandma”, if it was a TV character they think of that, and if it was a child they can are able to see it on a child.

[name]Lois[/name] was #111 in 2007 in [name]England[/name] and [name]Wales[/name] so there are going to be a few little [name]Lois[/name]‘s running around eventually changing peoples’ perception.

Me me me! I am loving [name]Lois[/name]! I definitely think it’s due a revival!

I like [name]Lois[/name], although, I have to admit, never thought of it for a child. My godmother’s name is [name]Lois[/name], so I think of an elegant, classy, traditional woman.
Pondering, though, could totally see it up for a revival. Think it would work well with some of the hot florals… [name]Lois[/name] [name]Violet[/name] comes to mind immediately.

[name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Lois[/name], I can definietly see it on a toddler. the first thing I think of is Superman’s girlfriend, I don’t see it as a bad thing though :slight_smile:

I like Babygrey’s suggestion of [name]Lois[/name] [name]Violet[/name] a lot, I think [name]Lois[/name] [name]Daphne[/name] also sounds lovely.

:slight_smile:

I currently live in [name]Scotland[/name] and have a friend here who has a 3 year old [name]Lois[/name]. Very cute, has completely turned around the way I view the name (used to think of it as a ‘grown up’ name). I’ve since heard of a few others who have chosen [name]Lois[/name] for their daughters. I think it’s lovely for a little one.

I liked it already! But not love. But I can definitely see it on a kid. I knew a girl my age while I was still in high school named [name]Lois[/name] and she was really pretty cool. I think it has that efficiency in a name I like, short and to the point while still being kind of interesting - definitely due for revival.

I watch tv too so I know this name seems to get pulled a lot for a “mom” name on some shows, but it seems kind of ageless to me. I didn’t always feel this way, even after knowing a teenaged [name]Lois[/name] - her name was kind of a stand-out even in the 80s. It has a lilt that seems to fit anyone of any age. There are a lot of names that are pretty even if they’re not “in style,” which I’m in favor of choosing at any time. Eventually, it will come back in style but it will always sound pretty.

I don’t see this name as so far from an [name]Emma[/name] or an [name]Ava[/name] in how “pretty” it sounds, besides not having the same sound at all. [name]Lois[/name] is a simplified [name]Louisa[/name] or [name]Eloise[/name] (I think it’s not the same root as either - I looked it up last time the name came up), just like [name]Emma[/name] is a simplified [name]Emily[/name]. Some like it fancy and some like it simple. At some point in the not-too-distant past, names like [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Ava[/name] sounded positively gross and old to people, while they’re obviously not perceived that way today. People’s associations make a name “not fit” for a baby, while the name has to wait its turn, even if it sounds really nice, and then some people will suddenly notice the appeal. You can be ahead of [name]Lois[/name]’ time if you want to because it’s already appealing.

Yay for support for the [name]Lois[/name] camp! I actually asked DH this morning and he said, “Oh, that’s cute!” Interesting that it’s nearing the top 100 in [name]England[/name] and [name]Wales[/name].

And I also love [name]Dorothy[/name]/[name]Dot[/name]! Of course, my DD is named [name]Beatrix[/name], so I’m kind of in that genre already.

Now we need to campaign [name]Linda[/name] and [name]Pam[/name] to change their write-up of [name]Lois[/name] on the site!

I like it too!

I’m a Family [name]Guy[/name] fanatic so unfortunately it’s all red-headed New Englander to me.

I am one of the peope who cannot. To me it says the red head slutty mom from family guy and that very angry mom from malcom in the middle. I lean more towards Family [name]Guy[/name] association as me and DH still watch this show. I would literally EXPECT the child to have red hair and any person named [name]Lois[/name] without red hair would be slightly weird and not fitting to me. But the is all based on the first think i thought of when i looked at that name, Family [name]Guy[/name]. I guess there are quite a bit of names i would picture being a certain way due to their association. [name]Daphne[/name] and scooby doo is another example. All in all [name]Lois[/name] isnt a bad name. But to me its not a good name either. I cant picture a infant/toddler/child named [name]Lois[/name] just like i cant picture a infant/toddler/child name for [name]Miriam[/name], [name]Gertrud[/name], [name]Petunia[/name], [name]Ernest[/name], ect.

I think of [name]Lois[/name] [name]Lane[/name], and given the popularity of the Superman flicks I can’t help thinking that if [name]Lois[/name] was going to be a big trend it would have done so long since.
It’s nice, though, and beats all those over-used names out there.

No! I really like [name]Lois[/name] - much better than [name]Louise[/name]!

I’m not fond of it. I do, however, think it will come back into style with names like [name]Susan[/name], [name]Barbara[/name] and [name]Cheryl[/name]. Its just not ready yet.