Am I the only one?

Sorry, but this is going to be a bit of a rant post. Something that really grinds my gears is the fact that nearly all girl names end with ‘A’, am I the only one that is bothered by this?? I just find it so darn repetitive that so many girl names end in the letter A. I mean, of course there are some really beautiful girl names that end with ‘A’, but I still wish there was generally more diversity across girl names. Boy names don’t tend to have this problem, they have all sorts of endings like N or S or R, I guess I just wish girl names also evolved to be diverse like that. Also, (and this is just my opinion) I almost feel like the frilliness of ‘A’ ending girl names is kind of sexist, like it pushes girls to feel like they need to conform to being feminine or girly-girlish. For example, my name is [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], which I never liked because it feels so frilly and I am not that girly. (of course, my parents couldn’t have known my personality before I was born, but maybe if there was a higher diversity of girl names there would have been a better chance of me having a name that better suits my personality, ya know?)

If you look at the SSA name list, you’ll see that 7 of the top 10 names for girls end in “a”. However, only 18 of the top 50 end in “a”, and out of the top 100 names for girls, 40 end in “a”. Getting outside of the top 100 decreases the amount even further.

There are plenty of girls names that don’t end in the letter A, it’s just that the names that are currently popular end with that letter

I understand where the OP is coming from, and it’s true of course that A-ending girls’ names are very popular at the moment. However, I never think of girls’ names as exclusively ending with an A. It’s true that the Latin language, the dominant language in Western Europe for over a millennium, formed the majority of their feminine names with A endings, and that these have been adopted into the English naming pool. But there are plenty of other cultures that have also had their influence, and what’s more, most Latinate feminine names have an English or [name_m]French[/name_m] variant without the A ([name_u]Joan[/name_u] from [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], for instance). What with [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Tess[/name_f], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f] and dozens of others, there are countless options if you want to avoid A endings.

I don’t think that ending with an A necessarily makes a name “girly” anyhow. [name_m]Just[/name_m] as [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and [name_u]Asa[/name_u] are very masculine names despite their ending, some girls’ names ending with an A such as [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Tara[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Kezia[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] and [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] strike me as being very down-to-earth or even tomboyish. I don’t think that you can argue that there is anything sexist about a letter, just because it happens to be more common at the end of girls’ names than at the end of boys’ names.

Not a huge fan of girl names that end in -a, either. Most of my list consists of names ending in a consonant or a silent -e.

I have a few names that [name_f]DO[/name_f] end in -a, though, that I think keep to my slight Arthurian [name_u]Legend[/name_u] style like: [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f], [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], Oleans, [name_f]Odelia[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], [name_f]Lenora[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], and [name_f]Lorna[/name_f]. I feel like these names feel “older” and slightly more refined that the usual ending in -a names (in my opinion at least)

A lot of this goes back to other cultures. In Ancient [name_m]Rome[/name_m], girls took the name of their father with an A tacked on the end. For example, [name_m]Julius[/name_m] Caesars daughter was [name_f]Julia[/name_f]. There was [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], [name_f]Gaia[/name_f], [name_f]Antonia[/name_f], [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_f]Cassia[/name_f], you get the point. It was established that A meant girl. This carried over into a lot of the Romance languages and it’s apparent in Italian and Spanish names too. [name_f]France[/name_f] got off the hook lol. I try to vary it up in my signature and not have them all end in A, but that’s a big reason why they do.

I’ve definitely noticed the -a girl names and -n and -er boy names lately. It becomes frustrating. My daughter’s names both end in -a by sheer accident. And my boys each end in -er and -an. Makes it hard to find a name for the new baby because I don’t want it to be too similar to its siblings lol.

I share the sentiment.

The -a ending often comes from an originally [name_m]Roman[/name_m]/Latin name, which has infiltrated many cultures, such as names in Spanish and Italian, and also other cultures which were influenced by the Romans (such as English names).

In Germany, most girl names end on -a or -e (pronounced -eh), but they are seldom my ised in an English context, or else butchered to sound like -ah names (like [name_f]Elke[/name_f] or [name_m]Heike[/name_m] or [name_f]Mareike[/name_f] or [name_f]Silke[/name_f]).

Other girl names ending in -e are butchered to sound like -y, which is the other ubiquitous feminine ending: [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] now sounds like [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f] or [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f].

There ARE non-a-ending girls names, they’re just not as popular in our usually still quite gender-binary society. So as someone else suggested, I’d look beyond the top 100 and also into names from other cultures to get to more names you might like. :slight_smile:

I don’t really pay attention to it. In Polish virtually all girl names end in “a” (you could probably count on your fingers the ones that do not) and it’s grammar/language thing.

In a lot of languages, an -a ending denotes a feminine word. English is an odd exception in that we have mostly neutral words - in other languages a lot of words are considered as masculine or feminine, and the suffix changes depending on which. Given most names come from old languages, it makes sense that a lot of female name’s end in a. It’s not sexist, it’s just how language has developed.

All babies are named before their personality has fully developed. Giving a frilly name to a baby that grows into a tomboy type is no different than giving a unisex name to baby that turns into a girly-girl. It’s not weighted one way or the other.

I agree with the other posters that a lot of this has to do with language and history. Many English names come from Latin and Greek and in those languages names that end in A are typically feminine. The same is true of many other European languages, as well as Arabic.

In [name_m]French[/name_m], at some point in time the Latin A ending became E (e.g. [name_f]Maria[/name_f] to [name_f]Marie[/name_f] and [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] to Véronique) so [name_m]French[/name_m] names that end in E are typically feminine.

Personally I don’t see A ending names as being inherently frilly or girly-girlish. There’s no reason why a [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] couldn’t be a tomboy, or a [name_u]Madison[/name_u] couldn’t be interested in girly things. “A” is just a sound, and sounds don’t have any inherent meaning.

I understand the reasons behind this but it certainly is frustrating for me because our last name ends in “a” so using a first name with the same ending sounds gross and repetitive. Kind of annoying that like 2/3 of girl’s names are disqualified right off the bat, including a lot of my favorites.
Sigh…