Amaryllis

See the results of this poll: What do you think of the name Amaryllis?

Respondents: 22 (This poll is closed)

• Yes: 11 (50%)
  • No: 11 (50%)

It’s not my cup of tea but I quite like it when I get the chance to savour it and mull it over.

I like that it bridges lots of different styles. There is the nature theme going which is hot now like [name]Violet[/name], [name]Lark[/name], [name]Willow[/name], [name]Sage[/name] (and this is an interesting take on that trend). It’s origins in Ancient Greek mythology give it a classical elegance like [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Diana[/name], [name]Aurelia[/name], [name]Lavinia[/name]. And lastly, it’s similar ending to [name]Phyllis[/name] ([name]Iris[/name], [name]Doris[/name], [name]Mavis[/name]) gives it that antique moldy-oldy feel like [name]Edith[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Agnes[/name] which is VERY hot now.

I voted yes and like [name]Elea[/name] it’s not really my style but I think it looks and sounds lovely. I love the fact that it’s a flower. My grandma had some in her yard and they smelled so good. I really miss those flowers. I think she also called them Naked Ladies… Back to the name. I like that [name]Mary[/name] is in the middle and I’m really drawn to “A” names in general. Visually this is a gorgeous name.

I think it’s just too much name for me. My friend’s sister used it as a mn with a unisex 1 syllable first name and it works beautifully there though. But if it were me picking for my own child, definitely not.

I think it’s too much of a mouthful. What about [name]Marilla[/name]? I love it.

I had to vote no. I like the floral connection and it’s not a heinous sounding word, but it seems very close to Amarillo (TX and/or “yellow”) and armadillo. It’s a very fine line between exquisite and lyrical vs. a little silly, but I leaned ever more heavily toward the negative associations with the word than the positive.

FYI, the dictionary informs me this flower is also known as the Belladonna [name]Lily[/name].

I had to vote no. I would not use it myself, and I don’t think I would like it on a real person. But I do like it in an abstract way. I think it could be perfect for a fictional character where the person doesn’t really have to live with it day in and day out at all the stages of her life.

I do like [name]Amaryllis[/name] a lot, but as a middle name only. I think it’s lovely when it’s paired with the right name.

Good luck!

It is very unusual as a first name, and quite “frilly”, but on the right girl, it could be great!

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Amaryllis[/name] and am still considering it for one of my daughters names. However, I also am the person who likes names like [name]Dorothy[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Doris[/name]… So take that as you will

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Amaryllis[/name] - it has flower connections, classic mythology and a great song by the Flash Girls

[name]Emma[/name] Bull
February 14, 2008
[name]Amaryllis[/name]
Filed under: art ” [name]Will[/name] Shetterly @ 6:13 pm

[name]Amaryllis[/name] at my back door
Swear to God it wasn”t there before
Growing tall from the cold hard ground
[name]Red[/name] and green
What”s a hothouse flower like this
Doing in the land of winter”s kiss?
I do believe I”ve seen a sign
I do believe it.

Mississippi she weaves and winds
Makes her way from the northern pines
[name]Land[/name]-locked water is ocean-bound
To New Orleans
Sunlit water come take my joy
To wash the skin of a southern boy
I do believe it.

Crazy wind blows across the land
[name]African[/name] drum in an Irish band
[name]Dream[/name] tattooed in the palm of your hand
Walls slip away like a pillar of sand

[name]Sister[/name] lookin” for the hand of fate
Maybe better try a change of state
Shake your life like a dusty rug
Out the kitchen door
New world springing from the shell of the old
You can”t say now you were never told
I do believe it.

” 1995 [name]Emma[/name] Bull

I voted a resounding YES for [name]Amaryllis[/name] – but then it’s no secret here that [name]Nephele[/name] likes her floral names. :slight_smile:

I agree with [name]Jill[/name], though, that [name]Amaryllis[/name] would probably serve better as a middle name.

And I love, love, love the [name]Amaryllis[/name] lyrics that Catmcroy posted! Names are already like music, and so much the better when they have their own songs.

– [name]Nephele[/name]