Ambrosia

This name has been on my private list since I was younger. Nameberry says it’s too frilly/over the top, but I love how it’s an underused vowel name with several nicknames. What do you think?

I think [name]Ambrosia[/name] is really, really pretty (well, gorgeous), but a bit too pretty/frilly for me, and I [name]LOVE[/name] frilly names. I think I’d personally feel more comfortable with [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Aurelia[/name], [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name], or [name]Seraphina[/name]. The “bro-zhia” part is what puts it over the top for me, but by that same token, I’m curiously fine with [name]Anastasia[/name]. Hmm…

If you’re comfortable with the name, I think you should go for it (or definitely use it in the middle)! :slight_smile:

I am originally from the UK and to me [name]Ambrosia[/name] is a type of custard/rice pudding and unfortunately, I cannot get that connection out of my head. x

I love the sound and the sweetness of it. It’s a bold choice, and does have food-y connotations, but I think you can get away with it. Some of its success would depend on where you live, I imagine. I’ve met one or two…

I’m with [name]Jill[/name] and Dinks - If I played word association, I would say salad stright up, because that’s what came into my head. Plus, reminds me too much of the masculine [name]Ambrose[/name]

Middle name spot for me, What about [name]Araminta[/name]?

I grew up in Germany and also there [name]Ambrosia[/name] is a sort of pudding/ custard desert sometimes with fruit. This immediately springs to mind. Probably does all over the world. Maybe better go with [name]Antonia[/name] or other otherwise [name]Amber[/name]? x

Okay, [name]Ambrosia[/name] IS frilly and over the top, but it’s also wonderful. And in the U.S., the dessert connection isn’t really that strong. I like the connection to the male [name]Ambrose[/name] – makes it more of a solid name, somehow, and less of a [name]Heaven[/name]/[name]Nevaeh[/name] type concoction – and I say if you’ve always loved it, go for it! Why wouldn’t you? [name]Even[/name] though I’m the coauthor of nameberry, I say personal style trumps nameberry style!

As I live in the UK all I can think of is custard :frowning:
However, as you don’t it shouldn’t be a problem for you so if you love it then go for it!

[name]Gracie[/name]

For me, [name]Ambrosia[/name] will always be a jello salad with cool whip and walnuts.