Amelia or Amelie? poll..

See the results of this poll: Amelie or Amelia

Respondents: 17 (This poll is closed)

• Amelie nn Ami: 1 (6%)
  • Amelie nn Mei/or Mae: 1 (6%)
  • Amelie nn Lili: 7 (41%)
  • Amelia nn Mia: 7 (41%)
  • Amelia nn Amy: 1 (6%)

I love them both!! [name]Amelia[/name] is a strong, lovely classic and [name]Amelie[/name] has an exotic French appeal.

I second this! If you’re looking for a vintage name, I’d go with [name]Amelia[/name], and if you’re looking for something more exotic sounding, I’d go with [name]Amelie[/name]. I think they’re both beautiful!

Good luck!

I have always been [name]Amelia[/name], no nickname. Judging by your nickname choices alone, I would go with [name]Amelie[/name]/[name]Ami[/name]. I very much dislike [name]Mia[/name]. It reminds me of the acronym for Missing In Action, or of “me, me, me”. I know a lot of people here on Nameberry like it. The downside of no nickname for [name]Amelia[/name] is that she will always be called “Bedilia” (or even [name]Ophelia[/name]). I have the problem of people always trying to nickname me–everything from [name]Amy[/name] to [name]Mel[/name]. I am frequently called [name]Amanda[/name], [name]Amy[/name], or [name]Emily[/name] by people who just can’t get my name right. [name]Amelia[/name] is getting more common though, so it is likely that people of your daughter’s generation will not mistake her for someone else. I think that [name]Emilia[/name] is nice, too, but looks a lot like [name]Emily[/name]/[name]Emma[/name]. Other [name]Amelie[/name]/[name]Amelia[/name] nicknames are: [name]Amy[/name], [name]Mel[/name], Melie, [name]Lia[/name], [name]Emmy[/name], [name]MiMi[/name], [name]Amia[/name], or Li.

I love your name, [name]Amelia[/name]! :slight_smile:

What do you think of the nn [name]Mai[/name] or [name]Lili[/name] for [name]Amelie[/name]? is [name]Ami[/name] better?

I think [name]Amelie[/name] nn [name]Lili[/name] is cute. But I have always preferred [name]Amelia[/name] over [name]Amelie[/name] as I think [name]Amelie[/name] sounds incomplete (not sure why though). The only nn I really like is [name]Millie[/name]/[name]Milly[/name].

My pick is [name]Amelie[/name]!

I prefer either the nicknames [name]Mae[/name] or [name]Lili[/name].

[name]Amelia[/name] is a nice name but I like the French charm of [name]Amelie[/name] plus I think it will be less common.

Not a fan of the nickname [name]Ami[/name]/[name]Amy[/name] - this name is so dated to me. [name]Mia[/name] is cute, I like the Italian charm to it.

Although, [name]Amelie[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] really seem best in their full form to me.

This is hard! I think I like [name]Amelie[/name] better. [name]Amelia[/name] is really pretty though, but probably more popular, especially with the nickname [name]Mia[/name]. When you say [name]Amelie[/name] nn [name]Ami[/name] are you saying it like Ahm-ee (like the beginning of [name]Amelie[/name]) or Aim-ee? And [name]Lili[/name] is this like [name]Lil[/name]-ee or [name]Lee[/name]-lee (like the end of [name]Amelie[/name])?

I realize I may be skewing this discussion a bit, but I don’t quite understand the need to come up with a very different-sounding nickname for a name you already love. [name]Ami[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Mae[/name], and [name]Lili[/name] to me are different names from [name]Amelia[/name] or [name]Amelie[/name]. Of course, there’s nothing intrinsically WRONG with doing this, but it’s something I see a lot of people discussing on nameberry and I don’t quite understand it.

Is it because there are so many great names out there, and we each get so few babies to name? Is it the desire to give a child two very different names to choose from? Can we discuss/explain?

Back to the main point: I prefer [name]Amelia[/name] to [name]Amelie[/name]. [name]Amelie[/name] sounds too much like the overpopular [name]Emily[/name], but in a confusing way, and is too identified with the French movie of the same name. The only one of the nicknames under consideration that I consider equal to or an improvement on [name]Amelia[/name] is [name]Mae[/name] though, as I said, I’m not sure why you would go there.

See your viewpoint on why create nn that’s distinct from formal name? I’m not a huge nn fan myself and try to find names that don’t lead to a nn. However, [name]Amelia[/name] is also a name I like and I’ve considered [name]Mia[/name] with this one b/c [name]Amelia[/name] has that same grown up feeling to me as say [name]Margaret[/name] does… Hard for me to picture a little girl named [name]Margaret[/name] or [name]Amelia[/name] (not sure why???), but love these names for adulthood. Problem with nn’s, though, is that once you create them, the individual rarely goes back to their formal (did a poll of this a while back and this is what I found). So in essence, you’ll never find the formal name anywhere other than the birth certificate! So why even have a formal name? This is usually why I’m not a nn fan. :slight_smile: Interesting topic…

I love nn’s and am drawn more to names that have them than do not. It is always nice to have a formal name as well as nick name for close friends and family. I pronounce [name]Amelie/nameso I find that distinct from [name]Emily[/name]…plus I love the move [name]Amelie[/name]. A British film exists of my name, [name]Genevieve[/name], from the 1950s. I was also named after the Quebecois film actress, [name]Genevieve[/name] Bujold. So I dont have a problem with the movie [name]Amelie[/name] at all. For the nn [name]Lili[/name], I would pronounce it [name]Lee[/name]-lee not [name]Lil[/name]-lee. Thanks for the input everyone (: