Amelia or Emilia?

I love the name [name]Emilia[/name], however am worried that it will constantly be misspelled as the more common [name]Amelia[/name].
Main reasons for loving [name]Emilia[/name]: my DH is Italian, and I quite like the nn [name]Emme[/name]. I also love the names [name]Emma[/name] and
[name]Emily[/name] despite their popularity, therefore [name]Emilia[/name] seems like a nice alternative-what do you think? Honest opinions please!:slight_smile:

Which way are you pronoucing it? Italian [name]Emilia[/name] or Italian [name]Amelia[/name] or American [name]Amelia[/name]?

[name]Both[/name] are really nice. I personally like [name]Amelia[/name] better, but it sounds like you have a great case for [name]Emilia[/name]. I do think it will be misspelled more often, but I think that bothers some people more than others. My name is constantly misspelled by people who don’t know, and it doesn’t really bother me much any more.

I would go with [name]Emilia[/name], as it seems you really like it more. [name]Emilia[/name] has a different feel to me than [name]Amelia[/name], too. I have to spell my name, [name]Kristin[/name], all of the time, and it doesn’t bother me. I named my daughter [name]Annabel[/name] even though [name]Annabelle[/name] is the more popular spelling. The two have entirely different feels to me. The people who matter know how to spell her name. Also, I’ve noticed that people with rather common names still have to spell them. (I am forever having to spell my son’s name for people. They always want to start it with a K.)

I would pronounce it “Eh-meel-ia”

Thanks! I completely agree that [name]Emilia[/name] has a completely different feel than [name]Amelia[/name]-much like [name]Annabel[/name] vs. [name]Annabelle[/name].

I like [name]Emilia[/name]! It’s very pretty and I agree, [name]Emme[/name] is an adorable nickname. I prefer this name to [name]Amelia[/name].

I love how international [name]Emilia[/name] is. I had never hear of [name]Emme[/name] as a nickname, but it is adorable!!

I have to spell “[name]SARAH[/name]” for people and not just with the ‘h’ so if [name]Emilia[/name] is your #1, then go for it. As a rule, I like to have names spelled the common way.

Originally I was going to say [name]Amelia[/name], but after reading the thread I realize [name]Emilia[/name] is actually a different sounding name. Given your husbands heritage, I think [name]Emilia[/name] is the right name for you:)

[name]Emilia[/name]! I absolutely love everything about it.

I prefer [name]Emilia[/name].

I don’t really like either. [name]Amelia[/name], I don’t like because… I just don’t, and [name]Emilia[/name] I don’t like because there are very few names I like starting with E. But I would go with [name]Emilia[/name].

I prefer [name]Emilia[/name]. It might get misspelled a little, but I don’t think it would be hard to pick up. Plus it is [name]EM[/name] not [name]AH[/name] so you might get lucky and have most people realize the pronunciation difference and therefore the spelling difference. It’s a beautiful name.

2 out of the 3 times I’ve seen this name spelled recently has been with an e. I think that way will be seen like the difference between [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Kaitlyn[/name] in the future. [name]Emme[/name] is a darling nickname, especially since she has a sophisticated lovely whole name to use as well.

[name]Emilia[/name] is beautiful and much more unique than [name]Amelia[/name]. I actually strongly dislike the name [name]Amelia[/name] but [name]Emilia[/name] is lovely - it sounds so much softer and much more feminine, and the nickname [name]Emme[/name] is gorgeous!

Although I slightly prefer the spelling [name]Amelia[/name], I think [name]Emilia[/name] is the better option for you and your Italian husband. [name]Both[/name] are gorgeous! Good luck, [name]Mischa[/name].

[name]Both[/name] [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] are Italian names (my grandmother and great-great grandmother are [name]Emilia[/name], and my great-grandmother’s sister is [name]Amelia[/name]. Sometimes confusing when the family tells stories, but that happens a lot with other names too). Either name is great. Honestly, it’s really just a matter of what nickname and what spelling you like. (Also, I know a lot of people worry about others not knowing how to spell a name, but any more I think most people will automatically ask how the name is spelled because of the creative/different spellings in the USA). Go for [name]Emilia[/name] if you love it!

I agree with the pp’s - [name]Emilia[/name], nn [name]Emme[/name]!

Thank you everyone! I agree that with so many unique spellings, naming her [name]Amelia[/name] does not guarantee that her name will always be spelled correctly. I just feared that perhaps some people may think that the spelling is “made up” in some way, despite this not being the case.