Amelia vs. Imogen...

Hello! I am new here and hoping for some advice. We just learned that we are expecting a little girl, and think we’ve narrowed the name choices down to these two names ([name]Helena[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], and [name]Beatrice[/name] were the other front-runners).

We do still have loads of time, but are still struggling to pinpoint which name we should go with. To provide a bit of background, our baby will a dual British/American citizen, born in [name]England[/name], and most likely raised in [name]America[/name] for at least most of her childhood. I love the idea of giving her a very British-sounding name to reflect where she comes from, though ideally I would like the name to ‘work’ in the US, as well.

[name]Amelia[/name] was the name my husband and I first fell in love with, way back before we were even pregnant. It was also one of the ONLY names we seemed to agree on in the initial stages of talking through names. I have been pretty attached to this name all along, though once I did more research and saw just how popular it is now (#9 in the UK and #55 in the US, I believe), I started to hesitate. Popularity is definitely not a deciding factor for either of us, but I do have some fears about choosing a name that may become the next “[name]Isabella[/name]”. I have thought about just letting this name go, but have a nagging fear I’ll regret not using it since it was the first one we came to initially. To add to this, I still dream about using the nickname [name]Mila[/name] with this name, which, while maybe a bit of a stretch as a nn for [name]Amelia[/name], is a family name I have loved ever since I was a teenager.

[name]Imogen[/name] is a name we recently came to and we’ve both fallen pretty hard and fast for this name. About 2 minutes after learning we were having a little girl, this was the very first name we both said out loud and it feels ‘right’ for us on so many levels. It fits so much of what we are looking for in a name, and my husband is incredibly smitten over the idea of having a little [name]Immy[/name]. My only true hesitation with going for this name is trying to figure out just how unfamiliar people in the US will be with it. We will most likely be moving back to the South, and I fear that either no one will have heard of the name before and think we made it up or they will only be familiar with the “[name]Imogene[/name]” version–the pronunciation of which I hate. I REALLY don’t want people to think we were trying to be ‘youneek’ by spelling [name]Emmy[/name] with an I…and part of me questions whether the name will ever be familiar enough to not sound weird on a resume. Am I completely overthinking this and not giving Americans enough credit (I am the American in the family, by the way)? The name is incredibly popular in the UK and I seem to hear it more and more these days, so perhaps it is not as huge of a deal as I am imagining?

I would love to hear opinions from you all–this is pretty much the only baby name forum whose members’ opinions I actually trust and respect! Does one name jump out over another? Are my concerns about either name valid or ridiculous? Should we be considering other names entirely at this point?

I love both of your choices!
There is no question [name]Amelia[/name] is getting more popular – I think every single one of my expecting friends has it on their short list. It is a beautiful name, but if popularity is a concern it would make me hesitant to use it. It has a similar sound to [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Emily[/name], and we know how popular those are! I can assume that a lot of people are looking to fresher alternatives to [name]Emma[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], etc…and they are falling in love with [name]Amelia[/name]. But if you will regret not using it, by all means don’t let the popularity (or fear of popularity) hold you back. This name works great in both countries.

[name]Imogen[/name] – I love this name! I am not sure how “unusual” this name is in the south and if you would have issues with pronunciation. I live in the midwest and know of two little [name]Imogen[/name]'s; one in my church and the other is the daughter of my coworkers sister. I got the impression that they only occasionally run into someone who isn’t familiar with the name or they pronounce it “[name]Imogene[/name]” – for the most part, it isn’t an issue. I can only assume that the name will get more familiar over here. The UK is always ahead of us, so I think [name]Imogen[/name] will only get more common in the States over the upcoming years. I don’t think people will assume “[name]Immy[/name]” is a made up alternative to [name]Emmy[/name], either ([name]Immy[/name] is too cute, by the way!)

I personally would pick [name]Imogen[/name] over [name]Amelia[/name], mainly because I prefer more unique names. My husband also has two friends who used [name]Amelia[/name], so I don’t think we would ever use it due to association. Oddly enough, one goes by “[name]Emmy[/name]” as a nickname!

Good luck with your decision, they are both great names. [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] could work as a full name if you are attached to both names ( I don’t think [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] works, though – the “–a” flows into the “I–” in [name]Imogen[/name]) :slight_smile:

I love both [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name], they’re lovely choices. I can see what you mean about [name]Amelia[/name], though to be fair I’ve never actually met an [name]Amelia[/name].

I think [name]Imogen[/name] is familiar enough in the States not to cause too many problems. It may on occasion get mistaken for [name]Imogene[/name], but I don’t think its so unheard of as to warrant being crossed off your list!

I live in the US and have a one year old named [name]Amelia[/name] [name]June[/name]. We didn’t know any other Amelias at the time and still don’t have any in our circle of friends. I do have the fear that it will spring further into popularity, but I can’t foresee the future, and we had to go with what we loved. Thankfully, [name]Amelia[/name] is a name that has a million nicknames. We chose [name]Millie[/name]. [name]Mila[/name] is adorable as well – I have never heard of that before. My only real fear with the name was that she’d be “[name]Amelia[/name] J.” throughout her school life should the name become more popular, but with [name]Amy[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Lia[/name], [name]Mimi[/name], and I’m sure other nickname choices, and with ours not being a particularly common one, I really do feel that my [name]Millie[/name] (or your [name]Mila[/name]) can be seen as an individual.

Although [name]Imogen[/name] is darling, it will never be pronounced properly here. That is why the name is not popular in the least. Americans (and I am one, so I can say this!) are dorks about that name – it’s [name]ImoGENE[/name]. All the way. They chalk up the other pronunciation to a British accent and ignore the missing ‘E’ entirely. I don’t think they’d take it as yooneek though, for what it’s worth, but if you don’t want to hear it butchered, I’d have to recommend letting it go, using it for a middle name, or saving it for a child that might not spend as much time in the states.

I hope this helps a little. Best of luck! They’re both lovely choices!

[name]Amelia[/name] is nice, but I much prefer [name]Imogen[/name].

I used to like [name]Amelia[/name] back when it was a relatively unheard of name, but popularity really turns me off. I have heard of so many baby [name]Amelia[/name]'s lately (in the US) that I’ve become so bored with the name. [name]Imogen[/name] is definitely fresh, with a British feel, and much more elegant than [name]Amelia[/name] in my opinion. I love it.

I think [name]Amelia[/name] is very beautiful, but it is definitely rising very quickly in popularity in the U.S. But if you love it, still use it! :slight_smile:

Oh, I love [name]Imogen[/name]. It’s one of my favorite names, and I am American. I think it depends where you are living–in the South, [name]Imogen[/name] might get more often confused. I know that where I live, I know two Imogens–although both are of British descent. Yet, people are familiar with the name and pronounce it correctly!

Personally, I would go with [name]Imogen[/name]. It’s quirkier and because it’s less popular, has more appeal and charm. And why not go with [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]? That’s beautiful, and if you decide not to go with [name]Imogen[/name] in the end, you can still go by [name]Amelia[/name]!

Good luck; I am curious to see what you choose!

They are both beautiful names.

I see [name]Amelia[/name] as a sweet little girl who emerges into a sophisticated [name]Mimi[/name]

I see [name]Imogen[/name] as a beautiful name which is fairly unusual yet known and I would choose this one over [name]Amelia[/name] if you would like something more unusual and less frilly.

[name]Imogen[/name] would be a girl who has lots of confidence and shows leadership qualities, who loves the individuality of her name and I would give her a feminine or cutesy middle name.

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Tallulah[/name] or [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Lulu[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Gay[/name] (acceptable?)
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Faye[/name]
or
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (not frilly or cutesy but a great combo imo)
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]/x
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Freya[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Catriona[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Alicia[/name]/[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]

I love [name]Amelia[/name] but I’m not a huge fan of [name]Imogen[/name].
I would pronounce [name]Imogen[/name] like [name]Imogene[/name]… I also associate that name with [name]Imogene[/name] Herdman from The Best [name]Christmas[/name] Pageant [name]Ever[/name] by [name]Barbara[/name] [name]Robinson[/name]. [name]Imogene[/name] and her siblings were forever getting into trouble and causing mischief and I don’t think I personally could ever get over that association.
My vote goes to [name]Amelia[/name].

Oh, this is a tough one because both are appealing in their own way. [name]Amelia[/name] as it has an antique charm about it that I love. It really is a timeless classic that won’t go out of style. [name]Imogen[/name] has a more modern and spunky feel to it. I’m going with [name]Amelia[/name]. My fave combo is [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Frances[/name].

I think [name]Amelia[/name] is easier to like (and yes, to pronounce), which is exactly why it’s so popular and will get more so. Plus with [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Emily[/name] both at or near #1 for several years and other variations like [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name] etc rising also, you are going to hear this name a lot.

For that reason, I prefer [name]Imogen[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are lovely names, but I think you will hear [name]Imogen[/name] less often.

You might also think about a name like [name]Adelia[/name], or even [name]Cecelia[/name], if you’re having trouble letting go of [name]Amelia[/name].

But if you both love [name]Imogen[/name], that seems like the perfect choice.

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far! This is all really helpful!

I really like the suggestion of going with [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Amelia[/name], but my husband doesn’t seem to like the two names combined. I must admit, this baby is beginning to feel like more of an [name]Immy[/name] than a [name]Mila[/name] to me, so perhaps the decision will become even clearer with time… I still feel very torn, as I love the classic, timeless feel of [name]Amelia[/name], but am definitely swooning over the charm of [name]Imogen[/name].

I was hoping a front-runner would emerge with my husband and that he could sway me in one direction or the other–but he says he loves both and I should decide!

I love love love [name]Imogen[/name]! I am a Southern girl and don’t think you’d have any trouble. I’m sure you’ll occasionally run into someone who doesn’t pronounce it correctly, but that happens with a lot of names these days.

[name]Imogen[/name] would be the best way to honor her British roots. yes, growing up in US would probably cause it to be pronounced imogene but people would catch on once corrected and because shes half british im sure the pronounciation tho not familar to americans, it would make sense for You! i couldnt get away with it because i have no ties to england tho i love the name [name]Imogen[/name]:slight_smile:

that being sad, i love [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]!!! :slight_smile: