American names that mexicans can say!

[name]Elijah[/name] is a beautiful name :slight_smile: I used to go to high school with a pair of Elijahs (both in same classroom). People used to pronounce it like English pronuntiation. When ā€œ[name]Lord[/name] of the ringsā€ movies came out, many people start saying ā€œlike [name]Elijah[/name] [name]Wood[/name]ā€, after the actor. So they got cool names in high school :slight_smile: I think my generation does know that name because of the movies too, and in case you know a mexican guy that doesnā€™t know that name, you always can sayā€¦like [name]Elijah[/name] [name]Wood[/name], actor from ā€œ[name]Lord[/name] of the ringsā€ moviesā€¦and they will think thatā€™s cool :slight_smile: Although [name]Elijah[/name] itself sounds beautiful.

I though in some names that could sound well (in spanish) as MN for [name]Elijah[/name], I believe that most of them are spelled the same in English, except for [name]Miguel[/name] (that is [name]Michael[/name]):
[name]Elijah[/name] [name]Daniel[/name],
[name]Elijah[/name] [name]David[/name],
[name]Elijah[/name] [name]Emmanuel[/name], (these both start with E)
[name]Elijah[/name] [name]Cristopher[/name],
[name]Elijah[/name] [name]Alexander[/name],
[name]Elijah[/name] [name]Miguel[/name],
[name]Elijah[/name] [name]Ivan[/name],
[name]Elijah[/name] [name]Damian[/name]

Thanks! Having someone famous with the name definitely will help give it international recognition! Iā€™m not quite convinced with those middle names, but I like the idea. What do you and other spanglish speakng berries think of [name]Elijah[/name] [name]Josue[/name]? It totally contradicts my idea of the whole pronunciation thing, but I like it, and it has the appealling nickname E.J. I guess if someone cant say one name they can say the other. [name]One[/name] of the only reasons I wouldnt use it would be my desire to use [name]Josue[/name] as a first name but I never know how many kids I will have.

Berries who want to continue the list of spanglish names, please do! Chapitaism gave some names that are great for pronunciation in both cultures. Thanks!

I really donā€™t think you have a lot to worry about, I live in a predominantly Hispanic community now and while I meet mexicans named [name]Francisco[/name] and [name]Javier[/name] I meet more with names like [name]Michael[/name], [name]Anthony[/name] (huge among Mexican families here) or [name]David[/name].

Many of them have extended families in Mexico and grandparents here who donā€™t speak English but can say the names. Also, where I live people are used to Hispanic names and rarely mispronounce [name]Javier[/name], [name]Enrique[/name], miguel, etcā€¦so if you live in a similar city I think you will be ok no matter what you choose.

Thank, txbelle! Thatā€™s one of the things I like about [name]Texas[/name], though I donā€™t see myself staying here long term. However, I know that spanish is no obscure language wherever I go! And itā€™s good to know that those who canā€™t speak English can say the English names just fine.

[name]One[/name] name that is becoming more trendy to use is [name]Cruz[/name]. I absolutely love it. I am white and itā€™s one of my faves. It means ā€œcrossā€. I love that!! For a girl, I love [name]Tara[/name].

What about [name]Julia[/name] for a girl? Orā€¦

[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Lea[/name]/[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatriz[/name]
[name]Savannah[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name]/[name]Alejandra[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]

[name]Eric[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]David[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]

Iā€™m personally not a fan of [name]Cruz[/name] or [name]Tara[/name], maybe because of their trendiness, although I do love the similar [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Sara[/name]. Go figure. :slight_smile:
Most of the names mentioned by nicole are very popular in Mexico and would be great ā€œspanglish names.ā€ [name]Celeste[/name] was one of my favorites since I was little, but the Celestes that we know arent exactly people I want to name my daughter after, and all of DHā€™s and my mutual friends would think of them when they hear it. Too bad, itā€™s such a lovely name! :frowning: The only name on your list that I havent heard while I was in Mexico is [name]Savannah[/name]. Nice addition! Actually, I havent met an [name]Eric[/name] either!
Gracias!

Names of friends and children of friends in Mexico City, in no particular order -

[name]Felicitas[/name]
[name]Paola[/name]/[name]Paula[/name]/[name]Paulina[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name]
[name]Marcela[/name] (this was a candidate for our youngest daughter but I just couldnā€™t name her after my dentist!)
[name]Federico[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Valeria[/name]
[name]Daniela[/name]
[name]Armando[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Miguel[/name]
[name]Carlos[/name]
[name]Mariana[/name]
[name]Pablo[/name]
[name]Bruno[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Angelica[/name]
[name]Alejandro[/name]
[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Javier[/name]
[name]Andres[/name]
[name]Raul[/name]
[name]Luisa[/name]
[name]Constanza[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Gabriela[/name]
[name]Beatriz[/name]
[name]Julieta[/name]
[name]Claudio[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Manuel[/name]
[name]Patricia[/name]
[name]Tatiana[/name]
[name]Mario[/name]
[name]Diego[/name]
[name]Regina[/name]
[name]Ines[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Valentina[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]/[name]Ana[/name]
[name]Alberto[/name]
[name]Alicia[/name]
[name]Andrea[/name]
[name]Eduardo[/name]
[name]Pilar[/name]
[name]Barbara[/name]
[name]Salvador[/name]
[name]Cristina[/name]
[name]David[/name]
[name]Delfina[/name]
[name]Juan[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Ricardo[/name] (nn [name]Rick[/name])
[name]Nicolas[/name] (nn [name]Nico[/name], [name]Nick[/name])
[name]Roberto[/name]
[name]Susana[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

Thanks! Iā€™ve also met people with most of the names on that list. [name]Marcela[/name] is pretty, too bad that was the name of your dentist! Haha. I met a baby named [name]Constanza[/name]. I think itā€™s a beautiful name but again, I picture my dad trying to say it with his American accent and it loses itā€™s appeal to me.

What about [name]Tansy[/name] as a nn?

Thanks, but itā€™s nms. Besides, I am trying to go for American names, at least as a first name. I appreciate all of the contributions of latin and Hispanic names. Actually, Iā€™m going to start a blog about them! However, DH prefers the English versions of most names, which is the point of my original querry. Maybe, as a pp mentioned, I will go with an English first name and a latin middle name, what do you berries think about that idea? Thanks!