Amos and racial undertones

First of all, I want to give you kudos for trying so hard to be considerate! Names and name usage among populations is an ever-changing phenomenon, but it is also important to be aware of any possible ramifications of choosing a certain name.

That said I wouldn’t have ever thought of [name_m]Amos[/name_m] as a name with any particular association with the black community. Coming from the Midwest my only personal associations are the cookie brand, [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], and the Catholic bishop of the diocese I grew up in (so ingrained is it that ending “[name_m]Bishop[/name_m]” with anything but “[name_m]Amos[/name_m]” sounds weird to me!). I have never met an [name_m]Amos[/name_m] of any race, although having met boys named things like [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] I wouldn’t be surprised if I did.

To me [name_m]Amos[/name_m] certainly does not venture near names that would concern me, like naming a white kid [name_f]Africa[/name_f] or [name_u]Kenya[/name_u] or Rastafari or anything with a very strong connection to one place or culture. However, you need to feel comfortable with the name you choose. If you are going to hesitate saying “[name_m]Amos[/name_m]” for fear of offending (which I am not in any way criticizing), you should consider choosing another name. You should be able to say your son’s name confidently.

I suggest taking some time to consider the positives and potential negatives of the name, and to perhaps discuss it more openly with the people in your life. Perhaps you will find that black friends and colleagues would see it as appropriation, or perhaps you will decide that the responses you are getting are inspired by racist feelings that a white child should not be “tainted” by an association with another race, in which case using [name_m]Amos[/name_m] would be a great way to fight back against the persistent racial undertones in our culture. The fact that you are considering this makes me certain that you will make the right decision in the end.

The only reason [name_m]Amos[/name_m] would have racial undertones (that I’m aware of) is [name_m]Amos[/name_m] ‘n’ [name_u]Andy[/name_u]. Honestly I’d be more concerned with [name_m]Amos[/name_m] sounding so much like anus.

I really like this name too and am Canadian and had no idea of any racial association. [name_m]Just[/name_m] to throw another name out there that I have sort of put in the same category in my mind as sort of grampa-chic biblical. [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]?

I’ve never seen it as a first name, but I’ve met quite a few people with the surname [name_m]Amos[/name_m], and they’ve all been white, so I personally don’t think it seems like a ‘black name’. However, I do live in the UK so it might not be the same as in the USA.

I don’t think of [name_m]Amos[/name_m] as an African-American name, but it always conjured of the image of old white hobos walking along the railroad tracks during the Great Depression.