Amy?

I know that a lot of you think that it’s too boring/outdated, but I’ve actually been liking the name [name]Amy[/name] lately. At first I liked it as a nickname for [name]Amelia[/name], but now I’m liking it more on its own. Thoughts?

I have hot and cold feelings for this name. I had a friend named [name]Amy[/name] in the 3rd grade, and I loved her name - she might have been the first [name]Amy[/name] I’d met. Then I thought it was just too darn short to be a name. Then again, I really love the way it sounds, and I can’t really argue with it. It’s really compact for a full name, and I like that better now; I think I prefer at least 4 letters in length, but can’t bring myself to use [name]Aimee[/name]. [name]Amie[/name] used to be on one of my long “someday” lists never fulfilled, I think that is a weird spelling now. I can’t speak for anyone but myself - I kind of like names from not too far back that others may feel need a rest, so I will say yes, I think it sounds like a good choice. I don’t think it’s worn out, it sounds very sweet and gentle like [name]Lucy[/name] or [name]Annie[/name].

I don’t think it’s boring/dated at all! It’s actually one of my favorites. If I could change my own name, I would change it to [name]Amy[/name]…I just think it suits me. I’d probably use [name]Amy[/name] on it’s own, even though I love [name]Amelia[/name] as well. But I can’t decide whether or not I like [name]Amy[/name] or [name]Aimee[/name] better.

Not bad at all. I can see the appeal. Short, sweet, and to the point. Feminine, but serious. And, it’s a classic familiar girl-next dooe kind of name, easy to spell and pronounce.
Somehow, though, it’s a little whiny to me. When I hear [name]Amy[/name], I hear Aaaaameeee. Sounds like the kind of name that could get annoying to say over and over again.

I do love [name]Amelia[/name]!

It’s a classic. It doesn’t excite me, but I find it perfectly nice.

My name is [name]Amy[/name], and I have very mixed opinions about it. I like it well enough as a name, but to me it has always seemed kind of plain and boring. I would have been much happier if it was a shorter version of a more interesting name - at different stages of my life I’ve wished my full name was [name]Amelia[/name] or [name]Amity[/name].

I think the main thing I have against this name is it’s popularity on people my age (I’m 16). In school there has always been at least one other [name]Amy[/name] or [name]Aimee[/name] in my class. However, now that [name]Amy[/name] is much less popular than it was when I was born, I think this would be much less of a problem. If I didn’t know any other Amys I’m sure I would like my name a lot more.

It has the '70s/'80s vibe from being incredibly popular then, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a classic. The name I see it as being most analogous to it in the contemporary era is [name]Emma[/name], actually–20 years from now, people are going to think that [name]Emma[/name] has “early 2000s” written all over it, but it’s still a lovely and classic name that’s fine to use in any era. Same goes for [name]Amy[/name].

I’m going to break from the majority opinion thus far and say [name]Amy[/name] seems too date-stamped to use today–to me, it’s very much the name of a mom, not a newborn. I don’t think of it as a classic yet, any more than [name]Ashley[/name] is, though I can see it becoming one many decades down the line (more so than [name]Ashley[/name]). [name]Just[/name] my opinion!

I can see it two ways: classic, feminine but not frilly like [name]Lucy[/name] or, a little boring. I much, much prefer [name]Amy[/name] spelling over [name]Aimee[/name]. Especially with a long or complicated last name, [name]Amy[/name] has the advantage of being short and easy to spell while maintaining a little character.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Amy[/name], and I’ve noticed that every person I’ve ever met with that name, I’ve automatically liked! I also perceive them as friendly and pretty. Doesn’t the name mean beloved or friend or something? Well, I love this name!

If you really like the name [name]Amy[/name] you should use it as name and not as nickname (even if [name]Amelia[/name] is a very nice name too)… Personally I like [name]Amy[/name] but don’t love it…

I think [name]Amy[/name] is a great name. It’s clean, classic, faultless and goes great with a long last name. It won’t make people stop in their tracks, but that’s part of the appeal: it’s a genuine nice name.

I think [name]Amy[/name] is a fantastic name. It’s one of those that nobody seems to really dislike, and I don’t think it will ever really go out of style. I know Amys that range in age from their sixties to about 3, and it suits well at any of these ages. It has a lot more substance (and history) to it than something like [name]Ashley[/name], for instance.

It’s interesting because [name]Amy[/name] is making a big revival here in [name]Ireland[/name].To me it is short and sweet and nice but a bit too sweet for my taste.I smiled when I read jml describing the slightly annoying aspect of the whiny nature of the name when repeated and sad to say I would have to agree.But then if short and sweet is appealing to you go for it,it has many appealing qualities.If you like the meaning behind it how about [name]Cara[/name](chara sometimes here in [name]Ireland[/name] is a direct translation of friend) or [name]Esme[/name] is on the same lines,good luck.

I love [name]Amy[/name]. It’s simple, and it has a good meaning and a nice sound.

However, one of my best friends is named [name]Amy[/name], so I might be biased. And every [name]Amy[/name] I have ever met has been smart, friendly, and accessible but with a little bit of edge.

I have always loved the name [name]Amy[/name]. My husband does too. It is probably what we would have named a second daughter if we’d had another girl.

I think it’s a beautiful name, it’s a classic, not just a 70’s name. Everyone knows at least one [name]Amy[/name] though, I can think of three off the top of my head, so be prepared for the “Oh, I have a friend named [name]Amy[/name], she’s a … etc.”, because you’ll probably get a lot of it.