An unfortunate love

I really love the name [name_f]Iona[/name_f] however it sounds really terrible with my last name which is a color and then man. So all together it sound like “I own a (color) man”. I know that variations of the name [name_f]Iona[/name_f] include [name_f]Ione[/name_f] and [name_f]Iana[/name_f] but I don’t like either of them as much.

I’m looking for more variations on [name_f]Iona[/name_f] or perhaps a double barrel name though those aren’t my favorite. [name_m]Just[/name_m] someway to use a beautiful ‘I’ name. Thanks in advance for the help!

3 Likes

Fiona comes to mind!

1 Like

Hm, that does sound like a tough one!

Other than [name_f]Ione[/name_f] or [name_f]Iana[/name_f], maybe you would like…
[name_f]Io[/name_f]
[name_f]Ionya[/name_f]

Or, double barrel:
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]-[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]-[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]-[name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]-[name_f]Fay[/name_f]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]-[name_u]Rae[/name_u]

I would stick with a short and classic middle for a double-barrel name.

1 Like

Perhaps [name_f]Ione[/name_f] or [name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f] nn [name_f]Iona[/name_f]? [name_f]Ione[/name_f] is “eye-OH-nee” or “ee-OH-nee” according to the NB database, so perhaps that could work as a name very similar to your original love without the issues with your surname!

1 Like

What about:
[name_f]Ilona[/name_f]
[name_f]Ilana[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Ioanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Idony[/name_f]
[name_f]Io[/name_f]

2 Likes

Hmmm… For I names there’s
[name_f]Irena[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_u]Ira[/name_u]
[name_f]Ionia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isola[/name_f]
[name_f]Ixora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivria[/name_f]

Hope that help!

1 Like

Here are some ideas!

Idalia
[name_f]Ilaria[/name_f]
[name_f]Ilithyia[/name_f]
[name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f]
[name_u]Indra[/name_u]
[name_f]India[/name_f]
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]
[name_f]Ines[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Irie[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]
[name_f]Isidora[/name_f]/Isadora
[name_f]Isolda[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]Ivory[/name_u]

1 Like

I’m sorry! I have the same problem! I love the name [name_f]Bia[/name_f] but her last name would be Beaver. I can’t have her name be [name_f]Bia[/name_f] Beever ya know. What do you think about [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]? Maybe you could use [name_f]Iona[/name_f] as a first middle name and add a second one after if you really don’t want to part with it!

1 Like

What about the basque name [name_f]Ainhoa[/name_f]? It’s pronounced “eye-noa”.

Yes, sadly many names don’t work with [name_f]Iona[/name_f]. I knew a woman named Wauna Mellon which has the same issue, but is much less pretty than [name_f]Iona[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I love [name_f]Ione[/name_f], [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f], [name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f], [name_f]Ismay[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], [name_f]Ilaria[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], and [name_f]Ismene[/name_f].

2 Likes

My question is, do you say the surname [color]- man or does it usually get said more like [color]-mun? Because I think if man doesn’t come out very naturally/feels like a forced pronunciation, then it’s a none-issue. Like if it’s said similarly to how most people say [name_m]Truman[/name_m], for example. I don’t think it would be a problem in that case. At least not enough so to alter or deviate from your name of choice.

Maybe you could pronounce [name_f]Iona[/name_f] the Welsh way (yoh-nah)? Otherwise I don’t have any suggestions other than the ones already mentioned.

I absolutely love [name_f]Iona[/name_f], but I have a noun surname too so I feel your pain!

Ianthe is an excellent suggestion and the one I came to say too. Pronounced eye-AN-thee. I think it’s beautiful!

1 Like

Ianthe came to my mind first as well! I think it is a gorgeous alternative :star_struck:

What about [name_f]Enola[/name_f]? I heard of it from the Netflix movie and enjoyed it throughout :slight_smile:

Unfortunately my last name is pronounced as (color) man instead of mun.

1 Like

@FindMeARedDaisy I like [name_f]Irena[/name_f], [name_f]Ionia[/name_f], and [name_f]Ixora[/name_f]

@fearlessfirefly I really like [name_f]Idalia[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], and [name_f]Ines[/name_f]

For all the [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] suggestions, I love [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] however the husband has something against F names in general, also really hates the Shrek connection.

3 Likes

Ianthe
[name_f]Ilona[/name_f]
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Eilish[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Idony[/name_f]

I read a book recently and a baby was named Idola. I thought it was pretty.

Iona-[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]-[name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u]

I don’t think [name_f]Iola[/name_f] has been suggested yet. Also, [name_f]Idina[/name_f].

1 Like