Anais and Alais

[name_f]Anais[/name_f] spelled in [name_m]French[/name_m] [name_f]Ana[/name_f]ïs and in my native Spanish [name_f]Ana[/name_f]ís has been for a long time a name that I have loved but one of those names that I never considered for my child. But now, I feel a bit more love for it. [name_f]Anais[/name_f] makes me happy and the good part is that it is easily usable in [name_f]France[/name_f] and is super easy for my Spanish family to say and spell.

The other day I also found out about [name_f]Ala[/name_f]ïs through a berry’s signature (I think it was @dearest) and also fell in love with it. It’s even more uncommon than [name_f]Anais[/name_f], but equally do-able in both languages.

I would love to know your opinions and some suggestions of [name_m]French[/name_m] or Spanish names that you think would sound nice with either of the names.

Gracías!

[name_f]Anais[/name_f] is beautiful, one of my favorite names in fact. The bummer for me as a Portuguese speaker is that without the accent it can be read as the plural word for anal… which sucks. It’s very easy for school student lists to spell names without the graphic accents due to the system or a typo so I think it would be very shocking for any teacher to read and maybe would even cause teasing and bullying from classmates, I’m thinking seventh grade on when they know what anus and anal are… especially in the sexual setting.

However, I honestly think that this problem does not happen in English, [name_m]French[/name_m] or Spanish (maybe even a lot of other languages), which makes it in my opinion perfect for you or anyone who speaks these languages to use.

I don’t have a very strong opinion on [name_f]Ala[/name_f]ïs… Here in [name_u]Brazil[/name_u] for girls my age or a bit older Thaís and Laís (I think it just grew popular as a rhyming similar to the common Thaís) are quite common. I like the former more or less but Laís feels boring to me.

I adore [name_f]Ana[/name_f]ïs. [name_f]Ala[/name_f]ïs is interesting as well, but I feel it has somewhat less of a dreamy feel because it sounds so much like other names to me (e.g. [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Ally[/name_f]) whereas [name_f]Ana[/name_f]ïs has a unique sound to me.

I love [name_f]Anais[/name_f]! Depending on where you live, it could be mispronounced at first but that wouldn’t bother me. Such a beautiful name :slight_smile: I also like [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] which is kind of a mix of [name_f]Anais[/name_f] and Alais.

Alais!!

[name_f]Anais[/name_f] is outdated for me :confused: (because it is outdated in [name_f]France[/name_f], where I live)