Anais

My husband and I were talking about this name tonight (a favourite of mine) but were unsure about something. Our families have French origins, and we have always pronounced it [name]Anna[/name]-EES (as it is in French) but it seems to be pronounced differently by some people. [name]How[/name] would you pronounce it? [name]How[/name] have you heard it pronounced? I’m trying to get a feel for how ambiguous it is before I really fall in love with it.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the look of this name. I’ve never heard [name]IRL[/name], but [name]Ive[/name] seen it around boards. I think I mostly saw people saying it was [name]ANNA[/name]-EES. I was browsing books today and saw a book with an author by this name and just stared at it’s beauty!

I pronounce it ah-[name]NYE[/name]-us, as in [name]Anais[/name] [name]Nin[/name]. That’s also the pronunciation they give on thinkbabynames.com.

[name]Anna[/name]-ees for me too. I’ve never heard it any other way. Most people are going to say [name]Anna[/name]-ees, as that’s how [name]Anais[/name] [name]Nin[/name]'s name is said. I much prefer BtN for pronunciations and etymology.

[name]Ah[/name]-[name]NYE[/name]-us is the Anglicized pronunciation; I think the French form, [name]Ana[/name]-EES, is gorgeous. She’ll probably have to help people out with it sometimes, but I think it’s worth it. After all, you wouldn’t think folks could screw up [name]Melissa[/name], but you’d be surprised how many times I get called muh-[name]LISA[/name]. Weird.