ANGEL at numb 36 on the top 100 boys names of 2009...

wt do u think about this? its a cute name, but i could never see a adult with the name ‘[name]Angel[/name]’, unless it was a andult women.

I do not like the name [name]Angel[/name]! It’s very conceited, in my opinion, giving a child that name. With the boys, it’s because of the increase in the Hispanic population. I live in [name]Phoenix[/name], so I do, sadly, see a lot of Angels, [name]Jesus[/name]'s, [name]Miguel[/name]'s…

The fathers probably all wanted daughters named [name]Angelina[/name] so they had to settle on [name]Angel[/name] when a boy arrived!

Well… it wouldn’t be pronounced as the English word, biblical, [name]Angel[/name]…

I think it’s a lovely name for those of Mexican, Spanish, etc. descent… absolutely. I absolutely adore the Spanish pronunciation of the name.

Traditional in the Latino communities. Did you also know, as I discovered in research into Spanish naming customs, Spanish and Spanish-speaking cultures give their children two names, not a first and middle, and sometimes boys have the second name [name]Maria[/name], and sometimes the girls have the second name [name]Jose[/name]? That is because the world is a very big place, you should read a book about it.

Also, in Italian, the name is [name]Angelo[/name] - do you think [name]Angel[/name] is feminine? [name]Angel[/name] is the masculine in Spanish, [name]Angelo[/name] masculine in Italian, and [name]Angela[/name] is the feminine for both.

[name]Erasmus[/name], why did you say that that you “sadly” see a lot of Angels, [name]Jesus/name, Miguels? I think Hispanic boys names are really great and a break from the monotony in the rest of the US. [name]Just[/name] as there may be a lot of boys named “[name]Jose[/name]” or “[name]Javier[/name]” in [name]Phoenix[/name] there are countless boys named “[name]Jack[/name]” and “[name]Will[/name]” where I am on the [name]East[/name] Coast; it’s all a matter of the region’s culture. Your comment sounds ignorant and is disrespectful. To discount certain names is one thing, but to discount an entire population’s names is another.

A lot of people from the mainstream U.S. culture are uncomfortable with the name [name]Angel[/name] on a boy but it is perfectly masculine in its Spanish context and has a rich tradition. It doesn’t have to be your style; most people prefer names from their own tradition so it’s understandable but it’s not as if someone from another tradition is obligated to prefer the sounds of our names, too. And what’s wrong with [name]Miguel[/name], for instance, other than being overly common or not to your taste? It’s only the Spanish and Portuguese version of [name]Michael[/name].