Anna & Marie: fresh or dull?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all!

The husband and I have been debating whether [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] feel fresh and substantial enough for a baby girl. There are times that we think yes and others where maybe there’s a cooler/more unique name out there.

I actually had [name_u]Maria[/name_u] as my number 1 but husband doesn’t want it, says it’s too common where we live. He is, however, open to [name_u]Marie[/name_u].

We’ve also been debating [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. The standard spelling here is [name_f]Ana[/name_f] but I prefer the double-N. I don’t know, I think it gives an European oomph to the name.

What’s your take on [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u]? Are they dull/uninteresting or would they be refreshing nowadays? And if it’s not too big of a hassle: how would you invision an [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and a [name_u]Marie[/name_u]?

How do you think they would fit/not fit with brother’s name of [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]?

1 Like

I love [name_f]Anna[/name_f], it’s a favourite of mine, and I don’t find it dull at all. It’s classy and sophisticated yet soft and romantic and so wearable. With [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] it makes a gorgeous sibset and fits very well.

[name_u]Marie[/name_u] I am less enthralled with, but I don’t find it dull either, although I much, much prefer [name_f]Anna[/name_f] (and prefer [name_f]Anna[/name_f] to [name_f]Ana[/name_f] as well).

[name_u]Marie[/name_u] feels particularly fresh to me as a first name, as it’s more commonly a middle name in my area. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] feels a little more expected, but I love its universality in so many languages.

Both fit well with Sebastian; [name_f]Anna[/name_f] probably fits a bit better than [name_u]Marie[/name_u].

1 Like

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] is strong but sweet and I’ve only ever met one little [name_f]Anna[/name_f].

[name_u]Marie[/name_u] is pretty and light but it does feel a tiny bit wispy. I do think it would be nice to meet a little [name_u]Marie[/name_u] though!!

If [name_u]Maria[/name_u] is so common where you live, do you think [name_u]Marie[/name_u] would constantly get mistaken for [name_u]Maria[/name_u]?

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] is great! Very fresh, not too common, timeless, classic. Would you pronounce it as Ann-a or Ah-na?

Speaking as someone named [name_u]Marie[/name_u], I feel like it is fresher than [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. I have never met a [name_u]Marie[/name_u] my age. It is a very uncommon first name where I live, although I get lots of comments that it is someone’s middle name. [name_f]My[/name_f] name has always felt very unique to me and while I’m not crazy about it, it’s a deep part of my identity.
I think envision a little [name_u]Marie[/name_u] as determined, creative, and spunky! People call me [name_u]Marie[/name_u] [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f] sometimes, which I hate. I prefer the association of [name_u]Marie[/name_u] Curie, the scientist. Also since I live in a place with a sizable Latino community, I sometimes get called [name_u]Maria[/name_u], but it’s never bothered me too much.
I don’t know if that’s helpful to you, but that’s been my experience as a [name_u]Marie[/name_u].

I think [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] would fit with either one.

1 Like

I love, love [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Marie/Ana [name_u]Marie[/name_u] especially as a double barrelled name. [name_f]Ana[/name_f] is more uncommon where I live. It has a classy, sophisticated vibe and hits the sweet spot of being well known but uncommon, and not dull, but fresh today. I picture an [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] just like the vibe it gives…classy, gentle, and sophisticated

1 Like

Thank you all so much for the replies so far. And it’s great to get some name feedback from a real life [name_u]Marie[/name_u]! [name_u]Will[/name_u] definitely be taking into account.

I asked some people today and the greatest consensus pronunciation-wise has been to say [name_u]Marie[/name_u] the [name_u]French[/name_u] way: Ma-HEE. I actually think it’s even more chic now!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is a great choice!

Marie/Maria doesn’t appeal to me as much, I prefer [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] and [name_f]Julia[/name_f] to [name_u]Maria[/name_u].

I love [name_u]Marie[/name_u] and as a first, it is very fresh!

Personally, I love [name_u]Anne[/name_u] and am not keen on [name_f]Anna[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is fine.

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] is dull to me. Sorry. I’ve known so many and it just doesn’t offer anything interesting or fun for me.

[name_u]Marie[/name_u] is a bit more exciting out of the middle spot. It’s not my style but I’ve never met one before so I’d be much more excited to meet a little [name_u]Marie[/name_u] than another [name_f]Anna[/name_f].

1 Like

SO refreshing! Not dull AT ALL! I would love to meet a baby with either of those names, but especially [name_u]Marie[/name_u]. I have never met a young [name_u]Marie[/name_u] (I have met young Annas).

And they’d be very nice with [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m].

So fresh! I’m bathing in the refreshing ness of these two gorgeous classics :two_hearts:

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] is a lovely name very elegant, understated and delicate. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is such a delicate graceful name. I absolutely love [name_f]Anna[/name_f]! I also really love Ann/Anne and other [name_u]Anne[/name_u] names such as [name_f]Annalise[/name_f], [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Anya[/name_f].

[name_u]Marie[/name_u] is such an underrated, underused beautiful simplistic name very sweet so elegant and pretty. I think [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is more refreshing than [name_f]Anna[/name_f] I actually haven’t met a [name_u]Marie[/name_u] so this feels so surprising. Gorgeous name.

Work wonderfully with [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]

1 Like

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone! Had I known how wonderful and useful these forums are I would’ve sought you guys out years ago when expecting [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m].

I am keeping [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] at the top of the ‘maybe’ list for now and because it feels like time is really running out, I’ll also be brainstorming the many other contenders.

Ok if I’m being fully transparent - yes I find them boring. But they’re classics and classics are classics for a reason. So if you like them some random chick on the internet whose style is wildly different from yours is irrelevant.

HOWEVER

If you are finding yourself at times wanting a more unique option than you should go for the more unique option. With name regret I see parents more often regret not going for the braver choice than wishing they had played it safe. That doesn’t mean it’s your reality or would be but I do want to throw out there.

I only want to bring up one suggestion - [name_f]Nadia[/name_f]. It’s not too out there that wouldn’t feel authentic to your style , it’s uncommon (unless you’re in Poland) , it’s similar to [name_f]Anna[/name_f] , it has a great meaning and [name_f]Nadia[/name_f] [name_u]Maria[/name_u] is a great brother for [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m].

This however is only if the doubt is weighing on you. If it isn’t go for [name_f]Anna[/name_f] , [name_u]Marie[/name_u] or maybe even [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u].

1 Like

I think they’re both nice names, they work well internationally (even in Japan, people know about and use these names - albeit it with somewhat different pronunciations) and because they’re so common there’s a wide variety of nicknames and diminutives to choose from.

1 Like

I would go with neither fresh nor dull, personally! I consider them both timeless classics.

Both names have been popular (Marie more so in the middle spot) for a very long time, after all. I think Anna may feel a tiiiiiny bit ‘tired’ in the future, since it’s so uber-popular now across the globe, but it really is such a beautiful name and I can’t imagine it ever being out of style. Especially with its rich history! Marie is very sweet - familiar and cosy more so than fresh, but a very solid choice.

You could always use some more ‘exciting’ middle names to spice Anna or Marie up!

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] are truly stunning names ! I even love them paired together Anna-Marie or Marieanna

I think both sound fabulous next to big brother [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], but I lean a little more towards [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as a sibling to [name_m]Seb[/name_m]

I know a few Anna’s in lots of age groups. Marie’s I know one a few years younger than me and several in their 80’s

I’m not much of a fan of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] on it’s own. I know someone who loved it but went with [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ana[/name_f].
I LOVE [name_u]Marie[/name_u]! It’s on my top list, and goes brilliantly with [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]. [name_f]Awesome[/name_f] sibset! [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Xx

To me they’re dull, honestly. They are fine names but they have been super popular in Europe for centuries so they feel like nothing to me. Especially [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is difficult for me to picture because it could be anyone. Right now I see the Frozen [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. With [name_u]Marie[/name_u], I see [name_u]Marie[/name_u] Curie whom I admire greatly but she isn’t enough to save [name_u]Marie[/name_u] for me. [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_u]Maria[/name_u] are just boring to me.

Stylistically they’d go beautifully with [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]. If you love them, go for it.