Annabelle or Camille

I definitely prefer [name_u]Camille[/name_u]. When I hear [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] all I can think of is the haunted doll. I know that many people on nameberry say that association isn’t very prevalent but in real life I think it is, the movie franchise is extremely popular and is still currently coming out with new movies. [name_u]Camille[/name_u] is so beautiful, and I love the nickname [name_f]Millie[/name_f], but also love [name_u]Cam[/name_u] or [name_f]Cami[/name_f]. It sounds classic but not too common or boring.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the reference to a haunted doll is about? I think that’s passed me by!

Out of the two I think I’d probably go [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] but I really like [name_u]Camille[/name_u] as well. I know an [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] who is about 6 or 7 and she doesn’t seem to have any problems with spelling it that way. Interestingly her parents chose the name because of all the nickname potential but she goes exclusively by [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] :woman_shrugging:t2: [name_m]Just[/name_m] how it worked out I guess.

1 Like

Annabelle!!

1 Like

Thank you for your perspective! I myself haven’t seen the movies but I am concerned they are still being released, I thought I had read that the last one had come out a few years back. I’m not really worried about the association since the doll isn’t a real person in history who did horrible things but it’s just a movie (in my experience if I have an association with a character but then meet someone in real life with the name the real person usually replaces the character), however I definitely don’t want her to be teased!!! Is this the type of movie you think will still be relevant amongst her peers when they get old enough to watch? Thank you!!

Someone below has mentioned the connection to the haunted doll. Has this caused any issues for your [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f], any teasing? Thank you all for your input and opinions!

I am also not a fan of [name_f]Cami[/name_f] but love [name_f]Millie[/name_f]! I’ve gotten nervous because my husband has said he wants to call her [name_u]Cam[/name_u] or [name_f]Cami[/name_f] so I had to make it clear if we agree on this I want the nickname to be [name_f]Millie[/name_f] only….he agreed but I’m a little worried he will revert to calling her [name_f]Cami[/name_f] when she’s actually here.

It’s hard to say if they’ll still be relevant when she gets older. I personally would say probably. The newest movie just came out in [name_u]June[/name_u] of this year and made $202 million in the box office - so they’re extremely popular. I’m not sure how many more movies there will be but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still being released in a few years. But as for how long they’ll remain popular, it’s hard to say. Horror movie franchises tend to stay well-known for a while when a good one comes along (think of Halloween and Scream which both are still currently getting new releases). I think since it’s such a common name there would be many people who wouldn’t even think twice about it, but I think there would also be a lot of people whose first response would be “like the doll?” I’m not sure how much actual teasing it would bring though, but it depends I guess. I think [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] now is very similar to the name [name_u]Regan[/name_u] from when the Exorcist came out. It has a very strong connection but many people will choose to use it anyway (or many even use it because of that connection), so it’s just up to you how much it matters.

Thank you! Really appreciate your response. I feel like I must live under a rock because my best friend has a [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] and I also had no idea that was from a horror film lol.

Agree!

(Never heard of the movies so can’t comment on that)

1 Like

Not yet (she’s only 3) and no one has ever mentioned it to us. We didn’t realise the connection until much later as we’re not big horror movie people and honestly it doesn’t bother me. There are lots of Freddies running around and they don’t get linked to the Nightmare on [name_u]Elm[/name_u] St movies which are much more well known.

I think by the time our daughter is old enough to watch horror movies with her friends, she’ll probably be past the teasing about names thing as she’ll be in her teens. And as a teen, may even think it’s pretty cool to share a name with a horror movie (my logic behind this is I am a high school teacher and in my experience teens like to be linked to something a bit shocking or macabre and they tease about clothes, what they did on the weekend, romantic entanglements, not names unless it’s something to do with antomy)

1 Like

Thanks so much! It is hard for me to gauge too as majority of my friends polled had not heard of the movie, some said they could remember the advertising when asked but wouldn’t have been their first thought. But again none of us watch horror movies. We are in our early 30s not sure if that has a link :woman_shrugging:t2:I like your perspective on her thinking it’s cool when she got older. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband has a very very unique name and it links to something sort of silly here in the US where we live but he has never been teased for his name which is great. He told me he doesn’t really think name teasing is as big of a thing as I think…but he’s also a 6’4 big guy and has been that way since he was 12 so not exactly the type to be teased :rofl:.