Anneliese

I am recently crushing on [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], and, to my great surprise, SO actually likes it. (His general response to a lot of the girl names I like is that they are “too much”, ie too frilly/flowery/feminine).

A few things:

1. My favorite spelling is [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. However, living in the US, do you think this spelling is troublesome? I know the [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] spelling might be more familiar, but I like it less and also pronounce them slightly differently ([name_f]Ann[/name_f]-ah vs. [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-eh).

EDIT: I am aware that the traditional German pronunciation is Annaleezah. I am going for Annehlees. I know that may effect the opinion on this one. Annelies would likely be how I could get to the pronunciation I want, but I worry even more about how people in the US would pronounce it.

1. Does the nickname [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] make sense? I think it is adorable, but want to make sure it actually works.

2. I am having trouble coming up with combinations for it. I like two middle names, and you can get a sense of the style I like in my signature. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I think the [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] spelling may make people pronounce it [name_f]ANN[/name_f]- [name_f]LEESE[/name_f] or even [name_f]ANNIE[/name_f] - [name_f]LEESE[/name_f] so I would go with the more traditional spelling.
It a pretty name, and the nickname does work but I think the whole name is much prettier.
For middle names I think you would have to choose a one or max. two syllable name
maybe [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] or [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u], [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]?

1. Not in the least. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is the traditional spelling and that’s the way I’d spell it in [name_m]German[/name_m] or English.

2. If you pronounced it ‘lees’l’ (like the ‘liese’ part with an ‘l’ attached) then sure. But not if you’re saying 'leez’l.

3. I suck at combos, sorry.

[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is so pretty but it might be added complexity. [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] is my favorite alternate (like a smoosh of [name_f]Ann[/name_f] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] since that’s how I pronouce it anyway). I don’t care for [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] or the others. [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] is cute but I prefer [name_f]Annie[/name_f].

[name_f]Annelise[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] [name_f]Jayne[/name_f]
[name_f]Annelise[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Annelise[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is a gorgeous name. I think that spelling is lovely and delicate. However, the nickname [name_f]Lisel[/name_f] ruins it for me. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is so gorgeous and feminine, and [name_f]Lisel[/name_f] is like an old lady name to me. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_f]Lise[/name_f], or [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]? As for combinations, I’d suggest:
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Jayne[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]

: )

@renrose Thanks for the pronunciation reassurance. And yes, “lies’l” NOT “leez’l” (I actually rather dislike the second one).

@gwensmom I think [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] would be my second choice on spelling. And I just love [name_f]Liesel[/name_f], but I know I can’t control what others call her, and I am fine with [name_f]Annie[/name_f] if she ended up being called that, too. I really like both [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], and [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] for suggestions - thanks :slight_smile:

@carlasworld I can see how [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] might seem old fashioned. My love for it spurs from The Book Thief, and while she is a little girl in the book, it being set during WWII does make it an older name. I just find it sweet and ready for a comeback. But, then again, many of the names I like could be considered “old lady” names.

[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is beautiful, with this spelling I pronounce it [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-eh-Leez or [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-eh-lees. Leisel would make a cute nn!

[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Corinne[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Nicolette[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]

[name_f]Annalise[/name_f] is beautiful however you want to spell it! It’s on our list too!

This was our top girl name for my son before we found out we were having a boy, so I thought about all of these issues a lot!

1. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is the traditional spelling and is pronounced (at least in the US) just how you want: Annehlees. We also thought about [name_f]Annelise[/name_f]. I can never get behind the [name_f]Analise[/name_f] or [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] b/c even with the two ‘n’s’ all I see is ‘anal’. What about hyphenating? Would you consider [name_f]Anne[/name_f]-[name_f]Elise[/name_f]?

2. [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] is a really cute nickname. I think it works. (I also loved the Book Thief)

3. Two middles seems like a lot with this long name. I think I’d go with something short and sweet like [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] or [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u].
    [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
    [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f]
    [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_u]Kay[/name_u]
    [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
    [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]
    [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]

[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] nn [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] IS adorable, I love both of these names. And, YES, PLEASE use [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] spelling! So much better/more authentic!

1. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is my favorite spelling, too. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name. But, you do have to realize that there are a lot of spellings for this name, and there isn’t a spelling that is used much more than the others, so people will often spell her name wrong/ask her how to spell it. But if that doesn’t bother you, go for it! [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name.

2. [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] is very cute! I’d probably spell it [name_f]Liesl[/name_f], though.

3. Combos:
    [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_u]Clare[/name_u]
    [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Indira[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
    [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Mamie[/name_f] [name_f]Vianne[/name_f]
    [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_u]Day[/name_u]

@miche My best friend has had it on her list for all three of her girls, but it never seemed right, so we’ve talked a lot about this, too! I never noticed the “anal” thing but O.O Thanks for pointing it out! I will stick with [name_f]Anne[/name_f]- no matter what! The two middle names thing is a family thing, but I try not to go too bonkers with a lot of syllables. I really like your suggestion of [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], and while I don’t particularly care for [name_u]Kay[/name_u], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is very nice :slight_smile: Thanks!

@mermuse Thank you! I am so glad so many people agree.

@dewdropsandroses I do realize that. As a Hollyann who is constantly spelling her name, I am not bothered by it. I think we are entering an age where it will be quite normal to have to spell your name out. And really, even names you would think are intuitive get spelled wrong all the time. As far as [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] vs [name_f]Liesl[/name_f], I have considered that spelling, but as the ending of [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] has the e, I think I would leave it on for the nn. I really like [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_u]Clare[/name_u] of your suggestions - that is even my preferred spelling for [name_u]Clare[/name_u] :slight_smile:

1. I love the name [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] too, and I don’t think it will cause many problems. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it does, who cares? Correct them and move on. It won’t be a big issue. [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] is okay but it looks so americanized and inauthentic…
  2. [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] does make sense. I mean, if [name_f]Meg[/name_f] is a nick name for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]…

Since Annelies is a bit of a mumsy name here I always find it a pity that whenever I see people discuss [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] here that they’ll stick with the ‘lease’ type of pronunciation and not the [name_m]German[/name_m] original with the added syllable which gives it so much more flair, elegance and youth, [name_f]IMO[/name_f]. Also because [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] in my head will never be Annehleez, I do not mind ‘spelling variations’ and I would for example like to see [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] because to me that looks more [name_m]French[/name_m] and then the American pronunciation is more or less spot on. Regardless of who found it first, it’s a compound name and it’s quite obvious of which names, in [name_f]Italy[/name_f] for example there’s famous singer called [name_f]Annalisa[/name_f], so to me it’s all a variation on the same name and I don’t see [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] as the authentic version. But you can totally ignore this because if [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is the most used version in the US I can see how that’s the most practical version of a name you love, regardless of what I have to say about it. Over here [name_f]Lisanne[/name_f] has been a big thing for ages and it’s still top 200 here, so there must be something about those names together I guess. Because of said Annelies association it’s not exactly my top favourite but it’s a respectable name and will age well, especially if you have nn option [name_f]Liesel[/name_f]/[name_f]Liesl[/name_f].

One thing I’d do for the middle would be to break the [name_m]German[/name_m] theme, especially with nickname [name_f]Liesl[/name_f]/[name_f]Liesel[/name_f] you might try to find something which can balance things a little, also because it’s a longer name I would go for some of the many short and cool typically Anglophone names out there. I for example thought the suggestion of [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] was perfect.

I love the name [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], spelled like that.
Combo suggestions:
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Giselle[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] [name_f]Therese[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_f]Margo[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]

I tend to go for classic spellings, so I would vote for [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. However, I love [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] as well.

I’d use the most traditional spelling, [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. I know someone very well with the name and regardless she will be constantly spelling it out for people. My friend is constantly doing it. If that bothers you, avoid this name altogether.