Another mother is FURIOUS at me....wow!

One of my coworkers asked what i was considering naming my baby girl and I said we hadn’t decided but were considering the name [name]Camryn[/name]. Out of the blue she got irate with me… She then proceed to tell me that it was “mothers like me” that were ruining boys names by feminizing them. Her son is named [name]Cameron[/name] and she didnt appreciate me naming my daugher that. She said that it was people like me giving girls names that belongs to boys, were making boys insecure to see a girl with a masculine name. She said that my child would be teased her whole life and why dont i just give her a girly name and by done with it. She then was kind enough to offer me some names to name my daughter- [name]Amy[/name], [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Olivia[/name]?

Is it me or did she over react?

I read that [name]Camryn[/name] is popularity #214 on the girls list as of 2007, and I think the nickname [name]Cami[/name] is very cute. I definitely don’t think your daughter will be teased with that name. I don’t think it was very nice of your coworker to to say those things to you at all! Many girls have unisex names now, and if she is having issues with that, then she should’ve named her son a non-unisex name. That’s my opinion, hope it helps!

Wow, that’s…odd. I think she’s definitely overreacting. I don’t like [name]Camryn[/name] for a girl or boy’s names on girls in general, but I wouldn’t go yelling at anybody for it. It’s your kid- you can name her [name]Olivia[/name] or [name]Camryn[/name] or Butthead. Other people may not like your choice of name, but it’s YOUR choice.

I completely agree with her sentiment on boy’s names on girls, but I think it was definitely rude the way she decided to blow up at you, unless you were very close (which doesn’t seem to be the case). That’s just not a mature way to act. I don’t think a girl named Cameryn would be teased, but I do agree with her on everything else…

I think if someone is considering naming their child Butthead, the “it’s your child, name it whatever you want” idea should not apply, for the sake of the child. :wink:

Personally I think she should have kept her opinion to herself regarding my choice in names. People can be sooo rude regarding stuff like that. I just think i’t soo inappropriate. We all have differnt opinions on what names are cute or preferred for our children and if you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything. Some of the names --non-unisex ,feminine names people choose for their kids on the site are absolutley hideous in my opinoin, but i wouldn’t say that because its rude. One of my co-workers who is also expecting announced last week that she was naming her son [name]Caden[/name]. I wanted to scream. I am sooo sick of the Hayeden, [name]Brayden[/name], Canyden, [name]Ayden[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], trend I could just throw up, BUT i congralutated her on her new baby and left it at that, because that’s the polite thing to do.

Uhh… sorry if HER son is feeling insecure because he has a unisex name. Some names are just unisex now… yes, they may have been traditionally male or female, but they often hold a unisex place for a while and then settle on one side of the fence (or not!) So yes, it was very rude of her to say that to you, unless you are friends or you asked her opinion about your name choice. I don’t know how old her son is, but when she chose his name, she had to have an idea that it was a somewhat unisex name.

People are never, ver going to agree on baby names… A few of my own co-workers are expecting… one is having a girl, she wants to name [name]Neveah[/name]… this made me throw up a little in my mouth, but I smiled politely… another is thinking of [name]Gabrielle[/name] if she has a girl, definately not as bad, but not my style, but again, to each their own… I think your co-worker was extremely rude by “yelling at you” and giving you some names she thinks is nice?? so, so tacky!
Personally, I see [name]Cameron[/name]/[name]Camryn[/name] as VERY unisex… not at all a “boy” name… It works so nice with either gender, its a beautiful name.
Also, I [name]LOVE[/name] “boy for girls names” so she would really be irate if I told her my top 3 girl names are [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]Finley[/name] & [name]Lennox[/name]! haha

No matter what name you choose someone will dislike it, so make sure YOU like it… and thats all that really matters! :slight_smile:

Does your co-worker know of [name]Cameron[/name] [name]Diaz[/name]? For one, she is a woman, and for two, she is super-famous and I can’t think of any famous men with the same name off hand. I am positive her son is not nearly as old as [name]Cameron[/name] [name]Diaz[/name], so she must have know what she or her son was getting into when she named him that.
I used to just smile and nod when rude people like that shared their opinions in a non-polite manner, but now I have no tolerance for it, especially regarding baby names. Naming your child is one of the only things in life you have complete control over.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions…i was really upset by her comments. I am so excited about having my first baby girl and to have someone make a comment like frankly let the air out of my balloon. I really let her get to me and i hate that i did. Frankly, i dont 'know why some people get so upset over teh concept of unisex names. Unisex names are here to stay and those mothers that dont like them need to get over themselves and accept that we all have varying opinions on naming our precious children.

She’s completely wrong and rude. It’s your child, and so it’s your business what you name her. She must have known that girls are also named [name]Cameron[/name]/[name]Camryn[/name] when she named her son, and if it bothered her so much she could have named him [name]William[/name]. [name]How[/name] rude of her to attack your name choice!

That’s exactly why I don’t tell people what names we are considering for our daughter anymore. When people used to ask, I would tell them, and everyone would express their opinions- positive and negative. People would say- oh don’t name her that. It gets annoying. Now, when people ask I just say - we don’t know yet.

That lady sounds like a total nut job. :lol: Honestly I wouldn’t give it another thought.

She can always change HER kids name since it’s been bothering her so much.

I’d have to echo everyone here, this mother getting so riled up about your babies name is completely ridiculous. Its your choice, and its not as though you’re saddling the baby with fn Butthead (as per pp). I think there’s plenty of room these days for both little boy and girl [name]Cameron[/name]/Camryns.

Oh, she’s a hoot!! :lol:

[name]Don[/name]'t be upset, this is hilarious. She thinks her boy is going to be tramatized by having a name shared by girls. But um, [name]Cameron[/name] [name]Diaz[/name] has been around for what 15 years?

All mom’s worried about their boys delicate self esteem possibly sharing a name with a girl. [name]Do[/name] yourself a favor and name your kid [name]Bob[/name].

I want to let you know that every [name]Cameron[/name] I have ever met has been a girl. While yes, [name]Cameron[/name] can certainly be considered a unisex name, it’s definitely not a boy’s name anymore in my eyes… it’s way too feminine. This woman was definitely out of turn and extremely rude! [name]Don[/name]'t worry about her, you have your own baby to think about!

Wow, shes got alot of nerve to lay into you about what you should or shouldnt name your child! I think you should direct her to this website, tell her you were so disturbed by her reaction that you needed to ask about the situation. She will then read and see that she was out of line, to even think she had a say in what your going to name your baby!

There is NOTHING wrong with you using a unisex name and [name]Camryn[/name]/[name]Cami[/name] as a nn is adorable! I personally love unisex names on girls. If someone names their boy a unisex name, then they need to realize that there will also be girls sharing the name, and if they cant cope with that, then THEY shouldnt use the name. Its just what it is.

If she dares to bring the topic up again, I would cut her off and and say in a very firm tone: “I am not going to discuss names with you, you were way out line before and what I name my baby is not of your concern, I dont want your opinions…period.”

people really need to learn to shut their mouths.This lady needs an intervention or something, and everyone else who don’t like names like [name]Camryn[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]Auden[/name], [name]Taylor[/name] ect. on girls. :smiley:

Thank God for you guys!! You have all made me feel so much better. Normally I’m not the kind of person who let’s people get to me, but she really hurt my feelings. [name]Glad[/name] to know that you berries have my back!! Thanks :slight_smile:

UGH yet another reason to NOT share names with people. I think I am going to come up with fake “safe” names to tell people. Ohhh we are thinking about [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Jacob[/name], isn’t that lovely? And then smack them with [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Balthazar[/name]!

[name]Hi[/name]!

Oh, wow, I’m sorry that you had to deal with that! Yes, I think this woman overreacted and definitely was out of line in the way she accused you and pointed you out, specifically, for ruining boys’ names by feminizing them. I wouldn’t take it too personally, even though she did make it personal. At the end of the day, it is your choice to use a unisex name - [name]Cameron[/name] and its variants are unisex, not distinctly masculine or feminine, in this day and age! - for your daughter, just like she made a conscious choice to use [name]Cameron[/name] for her son, whether or not she knew it was unisex at the time. That’s her burden to bear, not yours.

I mean, personally, I still think [name]Cameron[/name] sounds masculine and strong, so I don’t think her son has anything to worry about in terms of being seen as a light-weight, or whatever she’s worried about. But, at the same time, if [name]Cameron[/name] [name]Diaz[/name] proves anything, [name]Cameron[/name] can be subtly feminine and beautiful on a woman, too. The only reason I think “boy” when I hear [name]Cameron[/name] now is because my roommate has an ex-boyfriend named [name]Cameron[/name]…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

PS That was really nice of her to suggest [name]Amy[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] to you when you were obviously interested in [name]Camryn[/name]. The least she could have done was suggest [name]Camille[/name], a distinctly feminine name that shares many aspects of [name]Camryn[/name]! I think she might just be unnerved by the fact that someone is using her son’s name, regardless of whether or not it’s for a boy or girl.