(Another) Nameberry Accent Challenge!

Hello Berries! As someone who is highly interested in accents (in addition to names), I wanted to bring back the Nameberry Accent Challenge with new words! I made another SoundCloud account for Berries, because all the tracks seemed to have been removed from the first account when I first logged on.

Username: NB Berries
Login: nbnamefans(at)gmail(dot)com
Password: n@mesRc00l

[name_m]Just[/name_m] record yourself pronouncing the words in this list and upload it to the account! If you have other words that you’d like to add to it, feel free!

EDIT: I decided to create a “master” list from all the different addendums! I’ll update it accordingly if you guys think of more words. I didn’t add Harry because it’s in my Names Pronunciation Request List in the “Talk About Names” forum.

address
and
Antarctica
applicable
arrow
asthma
Australia
available
badminton
basil
been
butter
caramel
Caribbean
case
cash
character
crayon
data
downtown
[name_f]Earth[/name_f]
exactly
extraordinary
Florida
foyer
genre
hair
hand
her
herb
horror
horse
install
laboratory
library
leisure
margarine
military
new
parmesan
pass
Plato
realtor
reduce
south
squirrel
sword
syrup
today
tune
umbrella
W (the letter)
Z (the letter)

Not sure if this would be fun, but I found a list of words that Americans pronounce differently that piss the world off (from Buzzfeed).

Leisure
Australia
Data
Squirrel
Z (the letter)
Realtor
Exactly
[name_m]Harry[/name_m] (the name)
Foyer
[name_m]Basil[/name_m]
Badminton
Margarine
Genre
Parmesan
Horror
Sword
Asthma
[name_m]Herb[/name_m]
Library
Antarctica
[name_m]Plato[/name_m]
[name_f]Florida[/name_f]
Butter
Been
Caramel
Syrup

That would be fun! I think I’ll go post myself saying those words on the account! I have a separate one for names in a different forum and I put [name_m]Harry[/name_m] in it.

Yay! I uploaded something, hoping it works!

Yeah, that worked! I love your accent!

I just uploaded mine!! I hope correctly?? So interesting!!

I really love your accent, [name_f]Kristi[/name_f]!! Thank you for uploading!

And [name_u]Abby[/name_u] (@sparkleninja18), thank you for clarifying “been” - I’ve seen “bean” spelled that way and didn’t know which one it was! In that context I say “bin.”

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this! It’s so weird to hear everyones actual voices lol

Thank you! I added badminton to the list which I forgot.

If anyone is interested, you can record the names version (which includes Harry) if you want! That’s also on the SC account and on the Talk About Names forum.

I love these challenges! I agree it’s so interesting to hear everyone’s voices. Mine should be up there now :slight_smile:

@katinka: I don’t see yours. Did you perhaps put it as private instead of public?

Also I forgot margarine, so I added that one to the list!

Oops, yes! Should be fixed. And I say margarine “maah-juh-REEN”.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] your accent, [name_f]Emma[/name_f]! It’s so interesting how you guys say things differently than us - and that’s why I wanted to bring back the challenge!

Oh these are so fun!! I’ll upload both this and the names version!

ETA: both my clips should be up now!! :slight_smile:

@leafsgirl44: I don’t think you have much of a Canadian accent either, but I hear it a little bit. I love it! Thank you for uploading!