Another undecided for girly no.3!

I posted a bit ago about our trouble deciding on a name for our 3rd daughter due in 5 weeks. We’ve not got much further to be honest, though there is a favourite name in the lead, I’m having trouble because I feel it doesn’t match the other 2 girls as well as I would like! I must have some mild form of ocd as I like things to match, to go well together, and the girls names are really important as far as this is concerned. All will have 2 middle names (I had one middle while my sister had two and it’s bothered me right into adulthood haha!)

Our older girls are [name]Alyssa[/name] [name]Jenna[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Francesca[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. Part of me would prefer the name to be 3 syllables and end in ‘a’ and therefore ‘go with’ the others, and none will end up feeling left out etc. My sister recently mentioned that she sometimes felt she was ‘only’ [name]Emma[/name] compared to my [name]Rebecca[/name] and our brother [name]Dominic[/name]. [name]Silly[/name]? Well it’s about on the same level as me being annoyed that she got 2 middles and I only got 1. It never occurred to me that her first name was shorter so maybe it evened it out a bit?

Anyway our favourite for baby 3 is currently [name]Thea[/name]. It’s been on our lists since no.2 so I at least feel it’s not just been conjured up, we’ve liked it for a couple of years. BUT I’m having trouble definitively deciding on it because I’m not sure it fits in with my idea of ‘matching’ the other 2 girls.

I really like it, but it seems very simple and short compared to the others, though only one syllable less? Really this name would be more sensible (if this was just about sensibility!) as we have a double-barrelled name! But I just can’t shake the feeling that if this bothers me now, it’s always going to bother me.

While I love the name [name]Alyssa[/name] (though rare here in the UK it gets alot of mis-spelling and mis-pronunciation etc) I’m not as in love with the name [name]Francesca[/name], though lovely, I sometimes feel that DH loved it more and it was nice to be able to agree on a name when we didn’t agree on many! She’s nearly 2 now and thankfully I don’t dislike her name, but I don’t want to be left with similar possibly bigger feelings on no.3’s name.

Soooo what to do?

[name]Do[/name] we try and find a 3 syllable name we like as much? Also worth mentioning that my dh doesn’t agree with me, thinks the syllable number issue is silly and that we have enough trouble limiting the search to names ending in a!

I’m also looking at a longer name which you can get [name]Thea[/name]/[name]Thia[/name] from? It’s a shame there are so few of these!

So far I like

[name]Bethia[/name] - BUT the emphasis in this name is [name]Beth[/name] not [name]Thia[/name] and she’d get called [name]Beth[/name], which while nice is too popular for me
[name]Elthia[/name]
[name]Elethia[/name] - but would prefer 3 syllables not 4 lol
[name]Alethea[/name] - but really too close to [name]Alyssa[/name] to use

Such a shame that names which emphasize the [name]Thea[/name] sound more aren’t that attractive - don’t like [name]Theodora[/name]/[name]Dorothea[/name] etc

Any 3 syllable names suggestions ending in a would be appreciated, I might find another I like as much as [name]Thea[/name]

Other names we liked were [name]Lana[/name] and [name]Cora[/name] but they have the same problem [name]Thea[/name] does really? Dh has vetoed loads of names which I like - [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Matilda[/name]…

For middle names I really want to use [name]Faith[/name] as the 3rd name as loved it for years and not been able to use yet. Other middle would like to end in a too…like Lilana, [name]Rebecca[/name], [name]Sabrina[/name] etc

Thankyou for reading! Any ideas?

Have you considered [name]Thalia[/name] or [name]Talia[/name]? They resemble [name]Thea[/name] to me without seeming like a nn with no good proper name option (seems to be where you’re stuck with [name]Thea[/name]). [name]Talia[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] [name]Faith[/name] or [name]Talia[/name] [name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Faith[/name] sound lovely to me. [name]Alyssa[/name], [name]Francesca[/name], [name]Talia[/name]. I prefer without the h as I prefer [name]TAHL[/name]-ya not THAL-ya and I wouldn’t want to have to correct people.

[name]Alyssa[/name], [name]Francesca[/name] and sister…

[name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Susanna[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Jerusha[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Davina[/name]
[name]Kerensa[/name]
[name]Catriona[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name]
[name]Theodosia[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Carlotta[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Violetta[/name]
[name]Sapphira[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Corinna[/name]
[name]Gabriella[/name]
[name]Eugenia[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Justina[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Marcella[/name]
[name]Ginevra[/name]
[name]Daniela[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Eudora[/name]
[name]Geneva[/name]
[name]Cornelia[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Rowena[/name]
[name]Sybilla[/name]
[name]Roxanna[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name] / [name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Cassandra[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Tatiana[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Chiara[/name]
[name]Mattea[/name]
[name]Thalia[/name]

I don’t think it would be a problem if you used just [name]Thea[/name]. It’s a really pretty name, and I doubt anyone would notice that it’s “only” two syllables. I like gwensmom’s suggestion of [name]Talia[/name], too.

Good luck!

Geez, sounds like you have the same problem as me trying to name my third daughter. Thought we’d chosen a name, [name]Giselle[/name], but not happy that it really matches our other daughters’ names. I have a bit of OCD too. Regret giving one of my girls a 5 letter name when everyone else has 6 letters. Now don’t know how many letters to go with for daughter number 3. Want to also find a name that ends in a but can’t find something that I love. My girls are [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Milla[/name] [name]Rose[/name], so we like some of the same names. Not to mention the fact that my name is [name]Sophia[/name]. What about the name [name]Saskia[/name] for you…it can be shortened to [name]Kia[/name] which sounds a bit like [name]Thea[/name]. It also matches well with [name]Francesca[/name] I think and not too common here in UK. ??? Anyway, just a thought. Some others: [name]Estella[/name], [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Cassia[/name], [name]Kiara[/name], [name]Camilla[/name], [name]India[/name], [name]Edwina[/name], [name]Isolda[/name], [name]Gloria[/name], [name]Calista[/name]??? Wanted to also say I can relate to your problems and hope you find something perfect.

I think I have to agree with your husband that narrowing down your options to fit with a ‘theme’ is very limiting. I’ve noticed on her that people from the us are obsessed with mathing ‘sibsets’. I have to say I don’t understand it. Although your sister thought her name was short and you were upset about only having one middle name has it really affected your life? I’d suggest not so whilst your daughter may give a fleeting though to why her sisters names have there syllable whilst she has two it’s fairly easy to explain - you gave then names you loved and it just so happened that one had two syllables. Personally I’d go for the shorter one very time, especially with two mns and a double-barrel surname - that’s a lot of name (no offence meant).
Basically if you love [name]Thea[/name] then go with it.
[name]Remember[/name] that your kids will only live together for a short time in their lives then they will prob live separately and be known separately - not as a group

Oh!!! [name]Just[/name] thought of another one which could be perfect…[name]Xanthia[/name] nn [name]Thia[/name] (or you could change the spelling to Xanthea nn [name]Thea[/name]), which is a Greek name that means yellow. I really like this name and you get your nn [name]Thia[/name]/[name]Thea[/name].

gwensmom thanks! We considered [name]Thalia[/name]/[name]Talia[/name] but I’m not a big fan really, we would pronounce it [name]Tah[/name]-lee-a or [name]Tal[/name]-ee-a but it’s a bit too trendy here now unfortunately which is one of the reasons I’m not keen. We know of a few girls with the name now.

Ooo thanks, some lovely suggestions. I agree it’s not an ideal situation and logically rationally speaking it is daft to fixate on the number of syllables and names which end the same. But I am who I am and if it’s worrying me now, it may bother me forever. The children are all individuals and deserve names which are different but I still like the idea that they are different but still ‘connected’?

Otherwise yes [name]Thea[/name] is lovely, not common and not trendy and should be fine. hmmmm

Of suggestions I really like

[name]Cassia[/name]
[name]India[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Gabriella[/name]
[name]Sapphira[/name] - dh liked this but does sound a bit like a car called zafira?

Not sure on [name]Saskia[/name] as would probably get shortened to Sas/Sassy rather than [name]Kia[/name]? But then [name]Kia[/name] is also a car isn’t it

Dh has vetoed a few of those mentioned already, and while is willing to discuss names further finds it hard as he’s been imagining the baby is already called [name]Thea[/name] - which I’ve also been trying to do, but this issue is still bothering me

Oh and I REALLY like [name]Xanthia[/name]/Zanthia but I know someone with a daughter called [name]Xanthe[/name] and while only going to bump into this person once a year if that it doesn’t feel as original to us? [name]Will[/name] definitely give it a think.

bancios - thankyou, nice to know I’m not alone! Your girls names are lovely, I understand how difficult it is to find a name that you’re happy with, especially hard when you’ve used such lovely ones already! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Thea[/name] would fit perfectly! I wouldn’t worry about the syllables.

What about [name]Matthea[/name] nn [name]Thea[/name]? I also like [name]Althea[/name] if your oldest is not [name]Alyssa[/name], and [name]Thalia[/name] is very pretty.

Thankyou, really liking Corinthia, [name]Theola[/name] and [name]Theresa[/name]. [name]Matthea[/name] is interesting but I would pronounce it mat-tay-a which sounds prettier than math-e-a but sounds a lot less like [name]Thea[/name]!

Had a little discussion with husband last night and though he feels it’s a bit silly he listened to me at least and opened up nameberry.com to have a lookie!

[name]Xanthia[/name]/Xanthea/Zanthia/Zanthea seems to be in the lead at the moment - if I can just get over that it’s not completely original to us (that we know someone who has a daughter called [name]Xanthe[/name], however infrequently we will bump into them) then it’d be great, just as long as noone tries to called her [name]Zan[/name]/Zanny haha

Still like [name]Thea[/name] by itself but am fairly sure that a child called [name]Thea[/name] who has sisters with more elaborate names is going to feel a bit miffed - no it probably wouldn’t affect her life but may be one of those niggles that bothers her, even if it’s on an occasional trivial basis.

Now also got another issue with the name [name]Thea[/name] - my mother doesn’t feel that it’s a very appropriate [name]Christian[/name] name when it means ‘goddess’ and in Greek mythology the mother of the sun, moon and dawn. and that it’s the equivalent of naming a child God or [name]Jesus[/name]. I don’t completely agree with her, afterall name meanings don’t make as big an impact on people as the actual name does. But it brings up an interesting question. Is naming her [name]Thea[/name] slightly blasphemous due to the fact it prefers to gods/goddesses and not infact God?

You could go with [name]Dorthea[/name] or [name]Theodora[/name] with the nn [name]Thea[/name]. [name]Both[/name] of these mean “gift of God” and this might have a better meaning for your family.

What do you think of L(a)etitia (meaning joy) ?

[name]How[/name] about [name]Annthea[/name]/[name]Anthea[/name]? Three syllables, nickname [name]Thea[/name] and a very pretty name which ([name]IMO[/name]) compliments [name]Francesca[/name] and [name]Alyssa[/name] nicely :slight_smile:

Really wish I liked [name]Dorothea[/name] and [name]Theodora[/name] more - lovely meanings but somehow a bit clunky and less feminine than the other 2 girls?
[name]Laetitia[/name] probably wouldn’t work as our surnames begin L - M
[name]Anthea[/name] is a really good one! But it’s very much the reason I had trouble getting my husband to even like the name [name]Thea[/name] as [name]Anthea[/name] reminded him of an 80’s tv presenter haha Good idea though…

Others I found whilst reading today

[name]Theora[/name]
Ethena (I like [name]Athena[/name] but trying to stay away from A and F names just to make them that bit more different from each other considering other similarities - a shame because I [name]LOVE[/name] so many A names)
Thettia
Theana

but not sure any of them are the one. I liked [name]Elthea[/name] but dh said no…

Sooo something as good as Xanthea or better maybe? Seems to be the front runner at the moment but still unsure

what about [name]Althea[/name], like the grateful dead song?

Thankyou! [name]Althea[/name] is pretty…but our with our eldest girl called [name]Alyssa[/name] it’s a bit too similar, trying to avoid names beginning with A and F for that reason. Think I’ve set myself a huge challenge here, not many pretty girly names seem to lend themselves to the nn [name]Thea[/name]

Xathena? Zathea? Zethia?