Another way of spelling Madelyn?

Hello! :slight_smile:
While my husband and I are still ttc our first, we are looking for baby names we like.
He really likes the name [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f], nn [name_f]Maddie[/name_f].
It’s cute, but I was wondering if there is another way of spelling [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f].
Only reason being that SO many names have been adapted to end in -lyn. I came across Madelen somewhere.
I can’t find much info on it.
What do you think?
Would it work well, or does it seem odd?
What suggestions or comments do you have with [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]/Madelen?
Thank you!! :slight_smile:

I can see the appeal of [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f], but with the [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]/[name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Adelyn[/name_f] (and on and on and on) trend, I can also see the worry of the name being lost in the shuffle. For me, Madelen seems a bit incomplete-looking, but have you come across the [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] spelling? It’s the [name_m]French[/name_m] version of [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] (pronounced the same), and I absolutely love the way it looks; it’s like [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]'s sophisticated, grown-up sister. :slight_smile:

I love the classic [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] spelling.

In my country [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] is pronounce differently - line to rhyme with wine. I like this spelling only for this pronunciation. I’m not so keen on [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] or Madelen, but if you use one of those, then [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] is the most usual.

Thank you both very much for your replies :slight_smile:
I have seen [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], and actually suggested that to my husband BEFORE he said he liked [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f],.
However, he said it didn’t look like it was pronounced as [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]. I think it’s a wonderfully beautiful name! <3
I suppose it reads as Madeline, although I’ve read where people pronounce it as Madelyn. Either way, it’s a lovely name.
Thanks again! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is my favorite spelling. [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] would follow second, [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] third. With this name I don’t like to get creative with the spelling, I feel like it takes away from the name.

I did recently meet a [name_f]Madaline[/name_f].

I always favour the french spelling of [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I know several who use the spelling [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and pronounce it “lyn.” I have never heard this name pronounced “line” no matter how it is spelled. I am in the U.S.

There was another thread which listed the spelling variations:

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Madilyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Madelynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Madilynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Madalyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Madalynn[/name_f]
Maddilyn
Maddilynn
Madelyne
[name_f]Madaline[/name_f]
Madelynne
Madelin
Maddalyn
Maddelyn
[name_f]Madelaine[/name_f]
Maddalynn
Madalyn
Madeleyn
Madilynene
[name_f]Madolyn[/name_f]
Madalin
Maddalynne
Maddylin
Madlynn
[name_f]Madalyne[/name_f]
Madilyne
[name_f]Madlyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Madalene[/name_f]
Maddielynn
Madellyn
[name_f]Madelon[/name_f]
Maddelynn
Maddeline
[name_f]Madelene[/name_f]
Madalen
Madylan
Madeliene
Madielyn

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is my favourite but having [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] on the end will clear up any confusion with the ine ending pronunciation.

I prefer the [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] spelling! It seems more phonetic than [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] without being overly Americanized like [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f].

That said, [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] is a pretty common spelling (in the US it’s actually the most common), so it wouldn’t be odd at all if you used that spelling! I’ve never seen Madelen before, but since the name comes from [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f], I suppose it’s not too shocking.

To be frank, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people spell it [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and pronounce it with the -lyn ending. [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is also my preferred spelling, though I pronounce it ever so slightly different as mad-uh-len instead of mad-uh-lyn. If you like the -lyn pronunciation I would go with the [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] or [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] spelling (most people still pronounce it -lyn). Good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks, everyone! I think you’re right, midnightmama!
I loved the spelling of [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], but was unsure of how to pronounce it. But I would pronounce it ending with a “[name_m]Len[/name_m]”, too.
I’m going to bring it up to my husband again :smiley:
Thanks for the help, everyone!
And I cannot believe the different variations of the name [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]! :open_mouth: :smiley:
Thanks!!

While it’s technically pronounced differently, [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] is the spelling I run across the most frequently.

I knew one of my great-aunts as [name_f]Madalyn[/name_f]…but I didn’t realize that at birth she was given the name [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] & somewhere along the way it had been Americanized (like [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] became [name_f]May[/name_f] & [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] became [name_u]Jean[/name_u]). [name_f]IMO[/name_f], [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is the loveliest spelling & Mad-eh-len (w/the eh barely vocalized) is the nicest-sounding pronunciation. And [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] has the added sweetness of it being a cookie from [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f], in [name_f]France[/name_f], & what got [name_m]Proust[/name_m] going on his seven-novel series À la recherche du temps perdu, translated as either Remembrance of Things Past or In Search of Lost Time.

I love the majority of spelling variations for this name. For me, I pronounce [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f], [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] and [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] the same. My favourite is [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f].