Anouk, Beline, and Eulalie?

In addition to my very favorite name, [name]Delphine[/name], I’ve been drawn to these three French beauties lately”[name]Anouk[/name], [name]Beline[/name], and [name]Eulalie[/name]. What do you think? Are they too odd for American ears?

I like [name]Anouk[/name]. I’ve never heard of [name]Beline[/name] before - how is it pronounced? [name]Eulalie[/name] sounds kind of fusty to me; I have a hard time imagining it on a child.

I like [name]Beline[/name], I think it’s really pretty. [name]Eulalie[/name] is different but Lalie could be a cute nickname. I don’t care for [name]Anouk[/name].

They are all nice and all are usable.

[name]Anouk[/name] and [name]Beline[/name] seem a little bolder than the floatier [name]Eulalie[/name] and [name]Delphine[/name]. If they were colours [name]Anouk[/name] and [name]Beline[/name] would be darker, richer colours like [name]Scarlett[/name] or [name]Royal[/name] [name]Blue[/name], whereas [name]Eulalie[/name] and [name]Delphine[/name] would be pastels.

[name]Delphine[/name] and [name]Eulalie[/name] would be my preference as I prefer their softer edges.

I think they are all absolutely stunning! [name]Eulalie[/name], especially, is a favorite of mine; [name]Beline[/name] is equally gorgeous. [name]Anouk[/name] is pretty and spunky. I love all three!

I pronounce it “Beh-leen” or “Ba-leen”. [name]Love[/name] the idea of Lalie as a nn for [name]Eulalie[/name]! And elea, your color associations are brilliant. I agree that [name]Anouk[/name] and [name]Beline[/name] seem a bit more mysterious, whereas [name]Delphine[/name] and [name]Eulalie[/name] are more girly and upbeat.

Thanks for the opinions! Sometimes I can’t tell if I’m getting in too deep with this naming thing. As I’m sure you all know, the more you talk about names the more some of the unusual ones start to sound more acceptable. [name]Glad[/name] to know none of these are too weird!

[name]Anouk[/name] is terrific. Fiesty, smoking long cigarettes in an aubergine hat but it works for a little girl, too. And [name]Delphine[/name] is lovely. Honestly, [name]Beline[/name] makes me think of baleen- whale teeth. No matter where I put the accent it comes out so. Apologies!

Oh wow, that is a bit close isn’t it!? I’d thought it was similar to ballena, the Spanish word for whale, but baleen is much closer. Bummer!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Eulalie[/name] and [name]Delphine[/name].

[name]Ever[/name] since I first heard the name [name]Anouk[/name] in the movie Chocolat (she is [name]Juliette[/name] Binoche’s daughter) I fell in love with it especially as a way to show my dutch/belgian heritage but I also wonder if it would be too strange in the states. Personally if it’s your taste and you have the style go for it…[name]Beline[/name] is very pretty but makes me think of the drink (bellini) , which may not be a bad thing champagne and fresh juice! [name]Eulalie[/name] is very sweet also.

I think [name]Anouk[/name] stands out the most because the other two are clearly more feminine sounding, but that’s why I love [name]Anouk[/name] so much, it has that certain je ne sais quois…

I really love [name]Delphine[/name] and think [name]Eulalie[/name] is perfect with it. With [name]Anouk[/name], I’m wondering if non-French speakers will see it and pronounce it like “A nuke,” like a nuclear weapon. Hmm…

I hope [name]Luca[/name] is doing well! :slight_smile:

[name]Delphine[/name] is just lovely!
[name]Anouk[/name] - very cute, but would age well too.
[name]Beline[/name] - not my personal favourite, but still lovely. You would probably get a lot of beh-line pronunciations instead of bell-een, though.
[name]Eulalie[/name] - not that I’ve ever been to [name]America[/name], but I do think a lot of Americans might have problems initially with the pronunciation, as it is somewhat tongue-twister-like, but I absolutely adore it! It has a very musical sound.

[name]Love[/name] them all!

[name]EULALIE[/name]: I’d already added this one to my “Girls’ Names” list.
[name]ANOUK[/name]: very cute, spunky, quirky. [name]ANOUSH[/name] is also great
[name]BELINE[/name]: beautiful - I’ve never heard it before.

A couple other French Name ideas: [name]ELODIE[/name], [name]MIGNON[/name], [name]SALOME[/name] (not strictly French, but has that feel), [name]ESME[/name], [name]ANAIS[/name], [name]LILOU[/name], [name]MANON[/name].

Erzulie, I have always loved [name]Mignon[/name] and [name]Manon[/name]. I also have a big weakness for [name]Capucine[/name], but the coffee reference sort of ruins it completely.

My favourite from the list is [name]Eulalie[/name]. [name]Anouk[/name] is growing on me, though. I think I am just not sure of the hard k sound, but it does sound spunky and feminine at the same time.

My partner only really seems to like unisex girls’ names ([name]Riley[/name] being his favourite), so when we come to choosing baby names one day, I don’t suppose any of these lovely French names will get a look in… Sigh.

I love [name]Delphine[/name] too! I also love [name]Beline[/name]! [name]Eulalie[/name] isn’t my taste, and I think [name]Anouck[/name] is wonderful in quirky way, though I would never name a child that… I think [name]Delphine[/name] is my favorite. Other French names I love are [name]Satine[/name], [name]Sabine[/name], [name]Mireille[/name] and Martinique.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Sabine[/name] and [name]Manon[/name] too! I just realized that [name]Eulalie[/name] probably wouldn’t be a good match with my son [name]Luca[/name]. Let’s say people call her Lalie as a nn…[name]Luca[/name] and Lalie! Ha! [name]How[/name] did I miss that?

[name]Just[/name] a warning against [name]Mignon[/name] - first, it’s a little strange. [name]Imagine[/name] a meeting a french person who had named their daughter Cute, and you get the idea.
Secondly, it should be [name]Mignonne[/name] for a girl, otherwise it is incorrect …

I have a very special place for international names that are not well known in the U.S. I have known people who are foreign born or with immigrant parents and they have worn their names very well, even if it sounds “weird” in [name]America[/name]. If it is close to your heritage, that is fantastic. I did not know baleen were whale teeth, so I suspect most Americans of similar ignorance, lol! I think of [name]Delphine[/name], unfortunately with the surname of a bad doctor I had, but it will make an interesting name for a young girl and a grown girl. [name]Anouk[/name], I have not seen the movie, Chocolat, that everyone says this is her daughter’s name - I suspect this is how “weird” names tend to grow on people, they are characters and you hear the name and hear the love expressed from the mother when she says that name. To me, it is still kind of awkward, but I would love to meet an [name]Anouk[/name]! If she made friends at school with that name, those kids have never seen the movie either and don’t know what’s “weird,” they only learn their friend’s name and that she is likeable. [name]Eulalie[/name] to me goes - ukulele - and that is not a bad reference. I think this is the most spirited of the names. I have written of my feelings for the name [name]Amber[/name] several times, and it is so sunny and warm and carefree to ME (despite a generation of heavy use and unfortunate disposal which I do not think about) - [name]Eulalie[/name] is a sunny and warm and carefree name also. [name]Eulalie[/name] is the name of these 3 in the title I feel closest to choosing myself. [name]Delphine[/name] would also, except for that I really didn’t like that Dr. [name]Delphin[/name].