Any big Hemingway fans out there?

I’ve always been a big fan of classic literature, but I’m hoping to branch out from my [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u]/[name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]/[name_m]French[/name_m] revolution classics (A Tale of Two Cities, The [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] Pimpernel, [name_u]Les[/name_u] Miserables, etc.) that I generally seem to be so fond of. I’m already planning on reading some Tolstoy this year, but I thought [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] might be another great author to check out.

Are any of you Berries out there big [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] fans? Are there any titles in particular that you’d suggest someone read?

I haven’t read any [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] except The Old [name_m]Man[/name_m] and the Sea. I absolutely hated it the first time, but after re-reading it, I think it’s pretty good.

I’ve only read A Farewell to Arms and personally I was not a fan (I agree with the guy in [name_u]Silver[/name_u] Linings Playbook!) I feel like [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] is a very hit or miss kind of writer; you either love his stuff or loathe it. It’s definitely worth checking out of course, though. He’s bleak in a Spartan way while Tolstoy is bleak in an elegant way. It’ll be an interesting contrast if you read them back to back.

[name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] isn’t my all-time favorite writer, but I adore A Moveable Feast. It’s a collection of short stories, all of them are recollections of his [name_u]Paris[/name_u] years. The book is not very long, and I’d say it fits with the descriptions of “for light reading” due to it’s elegant flavour. It’s somewhat funny, somewhat thought-provoking and definitely not boring.
I’ve also read The Old [name_m]Man[/name_m] and the Sea and some of his short stories, but I didn’t like them as much as A Moveable Feast, they aren’t cheerful but philosophical. My sister readA Farewell to Arms and she didn’t like it, so I wouldn’t recommend it.
And I am definitely not a fan of Tolstoy. I am still halfway through War and [name_u]Peace[/name_u] and not excited. It doesn’t help that I dislike the way he portrays women.

I have been thinking about A Farewell to Arms or For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll the most. I’ve always sort of expected [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] to be rather like [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] [name_m]Crane[/name_m]'s The [name_u]Red[/name_u] Badge of Courage, but I’ve never read a full novel of his, so I certainly wouldn’t know. :slight_smile: I’ve read a few excerpts here and there for literature courses, but I’m interested to at least see what he’s like.

@handsallover - ha, yeah, I’ve heard he’s not light reading. I’ve wanted to read [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Karenina ever since I discovered [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls, though, so I told my self I’d actually attempt it this year. I’ve also been thinking about some [name_m]Alexandre[/name_m] [name_m]Dumas[/name_m] and [name_m]Victor[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. :slight_smile: I have way too many books on my reading list; I know I’ll never get through them this year, lol. Especially since it takes me forever to get through classics, unfortunately.

Cannot recommend [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Karenina enough- seriously one of the best books I’ve ever read

I’ve not tried War and [name_u]Peace[/name_u] yet, I’m afraid I’ll be discouraged as it just sounds so heavy

The only [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] novel I’ve read is the sun also rises, it was good but didn’t really knock me out- personally I think JD [name_m]Salinger[/name_m] does a similar thing but infinitely better, I know a lot of people dislike [name_m]Holden[/name_m] Caulfield and then give up on [name_m]Salinger[/name_m] completely but you have really got to read his other stuff

I’d recommend reading them in this order to get into them and understand the connections between them and stuff
The Catcher in the [name_m]Rye[/name_m]
For [name_f]Esme[/name_f] with [name_u]Love[/name_u] and Squalor (I think this is called five stories in the US)
Raise High the Roof Beam Carpenters and [name_m]Seymour[/name_m] an Introduction
[name_f]Franny[/name_f] and [name_u]Zooey[/name_u] (my favourite)