ANY DANES OUT THERE?

Are there any Danes or other Scandinavians out there who might know the answer to this please? I have just read on one of the posts that [name]Ailsa[/name] is a DANISH VERSION OF [name]ELIZABETH[/name] - is this true? I have never heard this before! I always thought it was simply Scottish Gaelic, so would be very interested if anyone can throw any light on this. Maybe Dearest might have a view on this? (I know you are Norwegian, but the odds are that you are well-versed about Scandinavian names in general).

Thanks in advance!

[name]Ailsa[/name]

scours through sea of clothes in bedroom to find ancient fallen-apart name book also known as the Almighty

She’s not there… I have [name]Alise[/name], which is [name]Alice[/name] only sad ah-[name]LEE[/name]-seh, and [name]Ailin[/name] which is [name]Eileen[/name] which tells me that [name]Ailsa[/name] might be a Danish version of [name]Elizabeth[/name] (because of the Ai beginning), but I’m no [name]Dane[/name] so I wouldn’t know ^^

In the E section, I find Ellisiv which is a Norse form of [name]Elisabeth[/name], and [name]Elisa[/name], which is [name]Eliza[/name] only said like [name]Elise[/name] with a at the end…

None of them are [name]Ailsa[/name], but they’re the closest I can find… I googled and some other looking around, but didn’t find anything trustworthy… I’ll try to find a site that lists ALL Danish names, but I’m not sure I’ll find it… I can read Danish perfectly, so it’s easier for me than it is for you [name]Ailsa[/name] ^^ And I have to add that I have always liked [name]Ailsa[/name] as a name, but she fell from my thoughts as I got caught up with all the new discoveries, so it’s thanks to you that she’s safely placed on my list where she belongs, which I’m very happy about!

hopes there are Danes here

I’m Swedish, but according to Danmarks statistik (Denmark’s statistics, www.dst.dk), there are just 4 [name]Ailsa[/name] in Denmark, so I don’t think it is a Danish name. The Danish [name]Elizabeth[/name] versions [name]Else[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name] are pretty close to [name]Ailsa[/name] though, could that be what was meant?

I just found that! ^^
I also found a site listing all “approved” Danish names and [name]Ailsa[/name] was not on it…
It’s here–> Tilladte navne i Danmark
(Pigenavne = Girls’ names, Drengenavne = Boys’ names)

Thank you ladies! I knew that some of you would come to my rescue! I will go back to my original thinking - i.e. [name]Ailsa[/name] is Scottish Gaelic, from [name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Craig[/name], possibly from the gaelic for [name]Elizabeth[/name] or possibly meaning “elf island”

[name]Glad[/name] to see you are still out there Dearest!