Any hope for Olga?

I have been musing on [name_f]Olga[/name_f] recently after reading a book with a character named [name_f]Olga[/name_f]. With a little thought, I realized [name_f]Olga[/name_f] is among the great-grandma names (most popular in the 1880s-1920s) that have come back with such a vengeance the last few years. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think there is any hope for a researgance of [name_f]Olga[/name_f]? It is currently siting outside the top 1000 and has been for a few decades.

I know [name_f]Olga[/name_f] has a reputation as an ā€œuglyā€ name - but after thinking a bit I canā€™t see why! The sound is pleasing, the name looks good on paper, it is a nice highly international name that works in many languages.

I added it to my list, and I donā€™t know if I will ever be able to get my husband on board but I will try!

6 Likes

I actually quite like it! Itā€™s clunky but I feel like clunky names are in style now.

1 Like

I kind of like it :woman_shrugging: It gives me the vibes of [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Claudia[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f] and [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]. Maybe it could come back - plus, it gives fun unisex nn [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]

1 Like

i knew someone named olga as a child and she was very nice! i always liked her name; i think itā€™s gorgeous

1 Like

i think olga could definitely work! it isnā€™t my favourite sound but it definitely fits in with vintage, clunky names that are coming back eg edith, agnes, winifred x

2 Likes

Absolutely! [name_f]Olga[/name_f] is lovely. It feels so classic and quintessentially Slavic. Really sweet.

I like [name_f]Olga[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Olga[/name_f] is definitely due for a comeback!

Itā€™s one of the names that I feel fits my style, but isnā€™t quite a favorite. I love the ā€œvibeā€ā€”elegant, dramatic, so uncool itā€™s cool againā€”but the prominent ā€œgā€ sound isnā€™t quite pleasing to me.

I love the diminutive [name_f]Olya[/name_f] too.

I like [name_f]Olga[/name_f] in theory, however unfortunately I donā€™t like how it sounds in [name_f]English[/name_f]. I like how it sounds in Slavic and other Germanic languages - a lot softer.

Where I grew up itā€™s quite a popular name, not for babies being born now or even my generation but in ā€œolderā€ women itā€™s super common. There was a negative connotation because of a serial killer so maybe thatā€™s why people stopped naming their daughters that.

All in all, I donā€™t think itā€™s an ugly name but I prefer it in other languages than [name_f]English[/name_f] :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Not an attractive name AT ALL.

1 Like

I canā€™t really get board with the name [name_f]Olga[/name_f]. It doesnā€™t have a pleasant sound to me, and I canā€™t imagine anyone young with the name. I donā€™t think [name_f]Olga[/name_f] is ready for a comeback quite yet.

[name_u]An[/name_u] alternative I really like is [name_f]Olya[/name_f].

1 Like

I think of [name_f]Helga[/name_f] from Hey [name_m]Arnold[/name_m]. I do find [name_f]Orla[/name_f] pretty. I donā€™t love the ga sound.

Itā€™s not my favorite but I think it could definitely work. It reminds me of [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], and [name_f]Claudia[/name_f], which I love, I just personally donā€™t like the ā€˜gā€™ sound, at least in [name_f]English[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Olya[/name_f] and [name_f]Orla[/name_f]. But I think it could definitely make a comeback! :blush:

Its definitely not my thing but thereā€™s nothing inherently bad about it so I think it could work.

I really like it, Iā€™d be thrilled to meet a little [name_f]Olga[/name_f]. I imagine a really quirkily dressed little girl.
[name_f]Olga[/name_f] & [name_f]Maude[/name_f] would be so cute as siblings.

I donā€™t think Iā€™d use it but Iā€™d be so excited to meet a little [name_f]Olga[/name_f]! Definitely fits with the ā€˜clunky coolā€™ vibe like [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f] etc

I think so! I agree that it fits well with the clunky classic names like [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] and [name_f]Winifred[/name_f]. [name_f]Olga[/name_f] also has a very strong elegant air to me because of its frequent use as a royal name.

I definitely think it deserves more love/use.

Loving the name [name_f]Olga[/name_f]. :heart_eyes:

We had a lovely teacher named [name_f]Olga[/name_f] in grade school. Very professional and regal.
[name_f]Olga[/name_f] reminds me of royalty.

Definitely a mix of responses which is what I expected! I definitely see how it fits with names like [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] and the like. I had not heard [name_f]Olya[/name_f] as a diminutive but I imagine it is pretty.

I am actually coming at it from a slightly different perspective, because we need names that work in [name_f]English[/name_f] and Spanish, and believe it or not [name_f]Olga[/name_f] is a pretty well establish (if not particularly popular) name in Spanish too. But in my mind she would be paired with sisters named things like [name_u]Alma[/name_u], [name_f]Liana[/name_f], and [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. I recognize that all those other choices would likely be much more popular, but I could somehow still imagine [name_u]Alma[/name_u] and [name_f]Olga[/name_f] as sisters for example!

It sounds clunky in theory but I find once you get to know someone with the name it no longer registers that way. I knew a lovely [name_f]Olga[/name_f] in high school ! Likely in large part because of that positive association, I like the name - it would be unique / quirky name in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u], but wearable!