Any mom's who are currently pregnant have your names chosen before conceiving?

We did because it took us 6 months to get pregnant so it helped us to discuss names while we waited not so patiently sometimes! We have had our boy and girl choice chosen for a long time now and while I’m happy to have it settled, part of me misses trying to decide! :slight_smile: I know, crazy, since deciding can be so stressful. I don’t feel like we will change our mind. I am 13 weeks and can already imagine calling this baby [name]Avery[/name] (boy) or [name]Claire[/name]! :slight_smile: We are struggling with whether to find out the gender or not though. Leaning towards not but I know I will want to find out when that 20 week ultrasound rolls around!?

If you have your names “chosen” do you see yourself as the type to see the baby and change your mind? I don’t feel like I will do that, but who knows!

We are 14 weeks pregnant and went through a couple of phases of having names set. Right before we found out we agreed on a girl name [name]Daphne[/name], we are both still set on it. Boy’s have been harder with us coming down to two names at 8 weeks although I think we have decided on [name]Nicolai[/name] hubby’s fav. Mine is [name]Sebastian[/name]…so as of now we are dead set on [name]Daphne[/name] and I can see her running around, less set for me at least on [name]Nicolai[/name] but I love saying [name]Nico[/name] and I can see that at least almost as clearly as a [name]Sebastian[/name].

I’ve had my boy name picked out since before I became pregnant! It just popped into my head one day that I adore the name [name]Zachary[/name]. 5 or so months later, I was pregnant and [name]Zach[/name] just clicked. So that’s settled. I always thought I had a girls name picked out ([name]Anya[/name]) as I’ve loved it since I was about 12 or 13 but now that I’m pregnant it doesn’t have the same click to it, so that may change. But yeah, I love names! But I do understand how you can miss picking them out now that you’re pregnant! At the moment it’s exciting because I don’t know what I’m having so I can still browse girls names, but if I find out this baby is a boy then I’ll definitely miss the excitement of searching for that perfect name (even though I already have it!) Naming babies is a complicated thing :wink:

My husband and I had ours names picked a pretty much a year before I got pregnant. I’m 6 months pregnant now. I’ve had [name]Damien[/name] picked out since I was 14 and it’s still the name I have picked for a boy. I won’t change my mind in the least, and we’re already calling her [name]Persephone[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Don[/name]'t find out! It was the BEST surprise of my life and always will be. What I most like about it is that as the mother I get to go thru 9-10 months experiencing the baby while it grows inside me, while dads can sometimes feel a little helpless and lost, not to mention during delivery. Waiting till the birth to find out really allowed us to have something in that moment to experience together (aside from the actual birth obviously). But I went thru labor but WE found out the gender TOGETHER. Obviously you can find it out together at an ultrasound but to have something to share at the birth was wonderful. And then for him to be able to go out to the waiting room after that and announce to the family what it was, was so special too. I got to have the baby and he got to announce it, and was so proud doing so. Now he insists we don’t find out for any of our babies. I really wouldn’t mind if we did but I think for at least one people should not find out, if it works for their circumstances. And if you can do it for your first even better. Put it thus way, I work with new moms in my job and I’ve yet to meet anyone who has regretted not finding out. I totally respect those that do and their reasons why they chose to, just for me it was a great experience. And least of all don’t find out what it is so people can get you gifts! Other peoples needs should not become before you in this situation. And that way they end up getting you what you NEED versus a bunch of blue or pink outfits. Good luck! And Congrats!

[name]Don[/name]'t find out! It was the BEST surprise of my life and always will be. What I most like about it is that as the mother I get to go thru 9-10 months experiencing the baby while it grows inside me, while dads can sometimes feel a little helpless and lost, not to mention during delivery. Waiting till the birth to find out really allowed us to have something in that moment to experience together (aside from the actual birth obviously). But I went thru labor but WE found out the gender TOGETHER. Obviously you can find it out together at an ultrasound but to have something to share at the birth was wonderful. And then for him to be able to go out to the waiting room after that and announce to the family what it was, was so special too. I got to have the baby and he got to announce it, and was so proud doing so. Now he insists we don’t find out for any of our babies. I really wouldn’t mind if we did but I think for at least one people should not find out, if it works for their circumstances. And if you can do it for your first even better. Put it thus way, I work with new moms in my job and I’ve yet to meet anyone who has regretted not finding out. I totally respect those that do and their reasons why they chose to, just for me it was a great experience. And least of all don’t find out what it is so people can get you gifts! Other peoples needs should not become before you in this situation. And that way they end up getting you what you NEED versus a bunch of blue or pink outfits. Good luck! And Congrats!

Oh, but even if you don’t find out gender you can still pick your names, just have one picked for each sex. We didn’t have ours officially picked before conceiving but I already had a list and we ended up going with what was at the top of my list, I had loved that name for years and liked double initials in the fn ln positions and that name just so happened to begin with the same letter as our last name. It was meant to be!

My girl choices have stayed the same since before conceiving. I started out with three- [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Willow[/name].
[name]Charlotte[/name]- My husband’s name is [name]Charles[/name] and he didn’t want a [name]JR[/name] but that is tradition in my family so I asked if the girl form would be ok and he liked it. [name]Charlotte[/name]'s [name]Web[/name] was also my absolute favorite book when I was young.
[name]Genevieve[/name]- My great grandma’s name, she was a well loved matriarch from my father’s side.
[name]Willow[/name]- My grandfather, father, brother are all named [name]William[/name]. I it unlikely that my brother will have children so I wanted to keep the namesake line going. It’s also my favorite tree, I love the image and symbolic meaning.
The boys name has been sooooooooo hard. We did have two picked out from the beginning. They were [name]Aaron[/name] and [name]Nolan[/name]. I would still use [name]Nolan[/name] in a heart beat. It’s a third gen middle name on my fathers side but it has never been a first name.
Husband only likes [name]Aaron[/name] but I have my reasons for not wanting to use it. So we have returned to the drawing board for boy names. We find out the gender it 10 hours… soooo excited!! I am secretly hoping for a girl so I can stop obsessing over names, at least until the next time.