Any native Mandarin speakers?

I need help selecting Mandarin names for a few characters in a short writing project. I’d like the help of a native speaker, or at least someone very familiar with the Mandarin language and Chinese culture. I thought this would be a good place to start my search for a helper. Thanks!

This has me so excited!

Quick disclaimer: Not a native Mandarin Speaker, I am a secondary school student who takes Mandarin as my language, but I’m very, very, into it. I don’t know what you’re looking for, I figure you were just looking for somebody to help you, but I’ll thow out some suggestions just as a start.

If you want some common surnames, here are some surnames off the top of my head with the English/[name_m]Roman[/name_m] spelling, characters and pronunciation (as best as I could adapt it):
Wang 王 (WAHNG)
Tian 田 (TYAN, with a short a)
Li ” ([name_u]LEE[/name_u])
Zhang 张 (JAHNG)
[name_m]Chen[/name_m] 陈 ([name_m]CHEN[/name_m])
Yang ” (YAHNG)
Most words in Mandarin are surnames or first names as well.

In Chinese tradition, parents name their children traits they would like to see in their child, so you will see a lot of names with important meanings.
[name_m]Just[/name_m] so you’re aware, in Chinese, each word is only one syllable. Chinese is tonal so that one word can have multiple meaning based on changing tone. So for example, the character you see above for Wang means king, but if you hear Wang in the Chinese language, it can have lots of different meanings (depending on the tone).

If you are looking for names for Chinese-American characters, I would choose American names you are familiar with for those characters’ first names. They could have Chinese middle names if it comes up in the story.
Here are some Chinese given names. They’re all pretty much ambiguous, to my knowledge.
Chinese given names are usually one to two characters/syllables.
[name_m]Ming[/name_m] [name_f]Xia[/name_f]/Mingxia 明霞 “bright halo” ([name_m]MING[/name_m] SHYUH)
Jiao Jie/Jiaojie 交接 kind of like, “to link”, “to have friendly relations with”, “communication”, that kind of thing. (JYOW JYEH)
Xiu Ying/Xiuying 秀英 “[name_m]Bravery[/name_m], Elegance, Beauty” (SHYOO YEENG)
[name_u]Min[/name_u] ” “Quick, clever” (MEEN)
[name_m]Gui[/name_m] Ying/Guiying 桂英 “[name_f]Laurel[/name_f], Beautiful, Brave” (GWIH YEENG)

This is fun, thanks. Anyway, if you need more information, I’m absolutely down. Sorry for the length of this post. Also, sorry for any false info. Like I said I’m not a native speaker.