Any possibility Elowen will stay uncommon in US?

I’ve been loving the name [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] lately. It seems like a name that should/will be super popular. I could just see it having mass appeal like [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. It’s number 520 on nameberry but it only ranks 5,306 in the US. Still a very rare name.

According to another site it’s had the following US (social security) rankings:
2008 it was 17,475
2011 it was 10,343
2012 it was 8,612
2013 it was 6,510
2014 it was 5,306

I know it’s impossible to predict popularity for certain, but that seems like a very steep climb up in a relatively short period. Have you noticed other names that climbed this quickly and if so did they become super popular? [name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering if any of you enthusiast have seen this pattern or have any predictions?

I think the odds are high that it will stay pretty uncommon. It’s a lovely name, and I can definitely see it continuing to rise, but I’d be surprised if it cracks the top 1000 without some major celebrity push or something like that. Most people are hesitant to branch out to unusual names (even those in the 500-1000 range, given some of the non-nameberry reactions I’ve gotten to [name_f]Leona[/name_f], haha), especially if they don’t have a long history of being used in the U.S.

I agree that it will stay uncommon - it’s still very unusual even here on the other side of the pond.

I wanted to revisit this thread since I have seen so many posts lately about [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], including mine. We are still trying to decide between [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]. So anymore opinions or predictions on the future popularity of [name_f]Elowen[/name_f].

I agree that it will stay pretty uncommon. I think it’s easy to forget that what seems common on Nameberry is often perceived very differently by people who don’t spend a lot of time thinking about names. [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is a great name. I’ve never met one or even known someone who has known one. I think naming a daughter [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] would be a safe bet for her to have a unique name. (That said, both my girls are out of the top 1000 and we met a [name_f]Zadie[/name_f] who lived a block away and a [name_f]Lula[/name_f] at the park recently…ha!)

I think it will climb higher, and probably crack the top 1000 eventually, but I don’t see it having the mass appeal of [name_f]Emma[/name_f] or [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. It’s lovely.

I love [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] but I don’t think it will ever become SUPER popular! I worry about popularity too but I forget that what we see on nameberry is far less popular in real life, even if nameberry predicts name trends prior to them happening.

I think it will stay uncommon. It may crack the top 1000 one day but I think it will stay a hidden gem!

I think it will stay uncommon as well. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it does rise I doubt American parents will be pronouncing it right i.e. [name_u]Meredith[/name_u].

Thanks for the feedback. I’d really be fine if [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] just stayed out of the top 100. Let’s hope no celebrity discovers it. I’m a [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] of the 80’s so my experience with popularity is the extreme and probably makes me over concerned.