Any suggestions (Sorry, it's a long post)

So, Hubby and I are planning on TTC towards the end of this year. It will be our first child. We are both very excited as we have had quite the journey in our individual lives before reaching this point, and now it seems like something we both thought may never happen is not far away. We have a few things to sort with life circumstances and whatnot before we can start so that’s why we’re aiming for towards the end of the year.
Anyway, I decided to post because we’ve been talking names and it seems we have differing tastes. I thought I’d post here for some suggestions to see if we can come across anything we both love, or at least get some fresh inspiration.

My criteria: I don’t want anything super-popular but I don’t want ridiculous made up names either. ie: I don’t want a [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/[name_f]Ava[/name_f] or [name_f]Emily[/name_f] since it seems like every second girl you come across has one of those names currently. My husband likes [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], I don’t dislike it as such, I just find it boring. I feel like you might as well just name your daughter - girl. It just doesn’t do anything for me. He also likes [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], and again, I have nothing against this name (there are certainly far worse names out there) I just can’t bring myself to consider it. It sounds too cartoon-ish to me. Neither of us want stupid spellings or unheard of abstract names. Surname is 2 syllables starting with D. We don’t care too much about honour names, syllables, patterns etc, although we may take meaning into consideration.

We’ve thrown around a bunch of suggestions but can only ever come up with the response ‘yeah I don’t mind that’ but never found anything we both love.

I strongly dislike any names with the suffixes ‘ara’ or '[name_f]Belle[/name_f]/[name_f]Bella[/name_f]" ie: [name_f]Lara[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Tara[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] etc, etc. I quite like names starting with [name_f]El[/name_f] ([name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is a current favourite and I love the significance of the meaning, but again, he’s not sold on it).

I do like pretty, feminine sounding names for girls (the frilly ones get me every time, but I’m not a fan of classics so much). I like a boys name to be strong, but not out dated or unisex in any way.

The names on my NOT [name_u]EVER[/name_u] IN A MILLION YEARS LIST are ‘[name_m]David[/name_m], [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]’. I also dislike the popular trend of names from the 80’s like [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f] and [name_f]Crystal[/name_f] as to me they sound kinda cheap and trashy.

The problem I have is the names I really like, are already taken either in our close circle of friends or in family. To give you an idea those are names such as [name_m]Brendan[/name_m], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] etc.

We’ve both agreed we ‘don’t mind’ the following names but aren’t sold on any of them!

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Marissa[/name_f]/[name_f]Melissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] (I personally find this a bit boring for a first name)
[name_f]Yvette[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f] (Although he prefers the spelling [name_f]Alyce[/name_f] which I hate)
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]

[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]/[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_u]Cameron[/name_u]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] (but this is his brothers name so it’s not useable)
[name_m]Damien[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u]

Can anybody help us with suggestions on names that might work for us. I feel like we need to get a headstart on the name thing now so it’s not an impossible task when the time comes. Apologies for my extra long post and thank you for reading.

PS. - what does the acronym DH stand for in these posts (I feel stupid even asking).

DH means Darling/Dear Husband.

Of your girl names I like [name_f]Yvette[/name_f] & [name_f]Elise[/name_f] best, and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f].
Of your boy names I like [name_m]Lucas[/name_m], [name_m]Nathan[/name_m]/[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_m]Damien[/name_m] & [name_m]Julian[/name_m].

I actually think you have a nice little list already. You might find that if you start to play with combos one or two favourites will pop out at you.

I’m sorry I can’t help much. I don’t have much to add because I can’t really find a ‘type’ for you, all the names you listed are a little scattered stylistically so I can’t be like “oh she likes ___ then maybe I should suggest ___”. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though you mentioned you don’t like 80’s names I actually think a few of your names really do rock that 80’s/90’s vibe ([name_f]Rachel[/name_f] & [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] & [name_u]Jesse[/name_u] especially). I know you wanted to stay away from trendy names… [name_f]El[/name_f] names are really popular right now - definitely as popular as [name_u]Ara[/name_u] & [name_f]Belle[/name_f] names (just something to think about), but I think [name_f]Elise[/name_f] walks that line pretty well. Not super common, but recognizable. [name_f]Alyce[/name_f] just looks silly to me - like hybrid of [name_f]Elise[/name_f] & [name_f]Alice[/name_f], with a trendy y thrown in for good measure. Leh!

Anyway, good luck :slight_smile:

OOOH DH… that totally makes sense. Thank you for answering.

I know I’m a bit tricky. I’m not really sure what I like. Perhaps it’s easier if I list of what I don’t like instead haha.

However, you have helped me immensely, nonetheless. I didn’t realise the popularity of [name_f]El[/name_f] names and you’re totally right about the 80’s names on my list. Thanks again, you’ve given me much to think about.

[name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Yvette[/name_f] all have a strong v sound. You could look at more Vs such as:
[name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Nova[/name_f], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] & [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] remind me of;
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

[name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] maybe you would like:
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Ariana[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f]

I do agree that [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], [name_u]Jesse[/name_u], [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] even [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] are a bit dated. As well as [name_m]Damien[/name_m], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_u]Cameron[/name_u]

[name_m]Lucas[/name_m], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] and [name_m]Julian[/name_m], would you like:
[name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_m]Lemuel[/name_m], [name_m]Rafael[/name_m], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_u]Elias[/name_u]

[name_m]Damien[/name_m]. [name_u]Cameron[/name_u], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] and [name_m]Julian[/name_m] all have a strong N sound so you could look there.

Another really helpful reply, thank you.

I’m starting to get some clarity on this now. Very much appreciated. Time to start the official list-making process I think.

I would have assumed [name_f]Alyce[/name_f] was supposed to be pronounced like [name_f]Alice[/name_f], if that makes any difference.

Also, there are couple of lovely-but-dated names in here - [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] and [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] stick out as having been quite popular for what is now the Mom Generation, and [name_u]Jesse[/name_u] to a lesser extent - to kids today, they would probably sound like [name_f]Debbie[/name_f] and [name_f]Linda[/name_f] did to our generation.

Other than those, I really like the names you’ve got! My favourites are [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Johanna[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], and [name_m]Julian[/name_m]. I’ll try to come up with some more that you might like…

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Serena[/name_f] (some sounds in common with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] but way less boring!)
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] or [name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Calista[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] or [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f] (usually this is pronounced like ZAR-uh, with ZAR rhyming with “car”, rather than like [name_m]ZAIR[/name_m]-uh, which would rhyme with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f])
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_f]Anja[/name_f] or [name_f]Anya[/name_f] or [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] with that as a nickname
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f]
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f] (maybe too weird, but you like frilly names and this is my favourite of those!)
ETA Cosima

[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_u]Reid[/name_u]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u] (though I should say that people are starting to use this on girls - to me it’s still super masculine, but others may disagree)
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Callum[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u] or [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] or just [name_m]Keir[/name_m]

You’ve got some nice names going already, I think a more unexpected biblical choice would be right up your street for boys, maybe something like [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m], [name_m]Amos[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Amias[/name_m], [name_u]Asa[/name_u], [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] or [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]

So far I like:
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Marissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]

[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_m]Damien[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u]

My favourites for each gender so far are [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] & [name_f]Verity[/name_f]

Some other suggestions
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Emiliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] or [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]

And I agree that [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] and [name_f]Vera[/name_f] are lovely

[name_m]Marcus[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Simeon[/name_m]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Adrian[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Dawson[/name_m]
[name_m]Harris[/name_m] or [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]

You could use the nickname [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] to make [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] a bit less boring

Popularity. Everyone doesn’t want a popular name but one that is familiar but I wouldn’t worry about the popularity rating a name has. It’s basically a game that is really hard to play and you’ll drive yourself crazy trying to find that probably nonexistent name that you love + not popular + not unknown + not used in your immediate circle. I’d sit down with your husband and rate your priorities. [name_m]Even[/name_m] the number one name these days isn’t actually used all that much. It comes down around 1% of babies for the top two girl names and drops to below 1/2 % starting with number 10. In 1985 the top four names are 2 something %, it’s 1 something % to #11 and it doesn’t drop to below a 1/2 % until #36. In other words, popular names just aren’t as popular as they were when we were young. Statistically the chances that your child will be first name last initial in school are very low. And if it does happen it won’t happen very often. I think honestly that means it’s just not something to worry over.

What names do get you excited? What names does your husband get excited about? It’ll be easier for us to help starting with that point. Another trick, thinking positively about names can be more helpful than being negative. List all the reasons for a name rather then against it.

I like [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. Others you may like are

[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f]
[name_f]Corrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Autumn[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]
[name_f]Demetria[/name_f]
[name_f]Mallory[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Jordana[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Layla[/name_f]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]

Oh my word! Some wonderful suggestions there. Thank you all so much.

I’m going to go through this with DH and create a revised list, then hopefully we have something to work with!

Thank you all again. There are some gorgeous names on those lists…

Oh, and I just thought of [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Julienne[/name_f]/[name_u]Julianne[/name_u] as possible options

I like [name_u]Jesse[/name_u], [name_m]Lucas[/name_m], and [name_f]Marissa[/name_f] a lot, and here some others you may like:

Girls:
[name_f]Zosia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Elle[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]/[name_f]Roxanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Jolie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]

Boys:
[name_m]Elian[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Paul[/name_m]
[name_m]Liam[/name_m]

My favorites from your list are [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_m]Julian[/name_m], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], and [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m].

Instead of:
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] - [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], [name_u]Felice[/name_u], [name_f]Felicia[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]/[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Theodora[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Noemi[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] - [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Camille[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Cynthia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marissa[/name_f]/[name_f]Melissa[/name_f] - [name_f]Melisande[/name_f], [name_f]Marina[/name_f], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Moira[/name_f], [name_f]Miranda[/name_f], [name_f]Annalise[/name_f], [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f] - [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], [name_u]Joan[/name_u], [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], [name_f]Judith[/name_f], [name_f]Juliana[/name_f], [name_f]Joscelyn[/name_f],
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] - [name_f]Raquel[/name_f], [name_f]Roxanne[/name_f], [name_f]Roxana[/name_f], [name_f]Rowena[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvette[/name_f] - [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Ysabel[/name_f], [name_f]Yolanda[/name_f], [name_f]Yvonne[/name_f], [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]/[name_f]Alyce[/name_f] - [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Liza[/name_f], [name_f]Enid[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Hester[/name_f], [name_u]Vesper[/name_u], [name_f]Adele[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] - [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f] - [name_f]Viveca[/name_f], [name_f]Victorine[/name_f], [name_f]Valerie[/name_f], [name_f]Veronica[/name_f], [name_f]Charity[/name_f], [name_f]Amity[/name_f]

[name_m]Lucas[/name_m] - [name_m]Luke[/name_m], [name_m]Lucian[/name_m], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], [name_f]Lowry[/name_f], [name_m]Lowell[/name_m], [name_m]Marcus[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]/[name_m]Nathan[/name_m] - [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_u]Neal[/name_u], [name_m]Nolan[/name_m], [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_u]Cameron[/name_u] - [name_m]Connor[/name_m], [name_m]Graham[/name_m], [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m], [name_m]Frazier[/name_m], [name_u]Reid[/name_u], [name_m]Russell[/name_m], [name_m]Callum[/name_m], [name_u]Camden[/name_u], [name_m]Christian[/name_m], [name_u]Carson[/name_u]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] - [name_u]Drew[/name_u], [name_m]Ward[/name_m], [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_m]Abram[/name_m], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_m]Damien[/name_m] - [name_m]Dominic[/name_m], [name_m]Duncan[/name_m], [name_m]David[/name_m], [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], [name_m]Desmond[/name_m], [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], [name_m]Darwin[/name_m], [name_m]Dwight[/name_m], [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m] - [name_m]Julius[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_m]Philip[/name_m], [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_m]Ian[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], [name_m]Ruben[/name_m]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u] - [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Joel[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_m]Paul[/name_m], [name_u]Asa[/name_u], [name_m]Zane[/name_m], [name_m]Issac[/name_m], [name_u]Seth[/name_u]

Wow, so many great suggestions.

I think I’m going to add [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] to our list at this point. Still so many names to shuffle through though. I’m loving the suggestions!! Thanks so much. I feel like I’m pretty sold on [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], at this point it’s my current favourite.

I was going to suggest [name_f]Elise[/name_f] but you already have it on your list.
Others you might like:
Girls
[name_f]Yvonne[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Trinity[/name_f]

Boys
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m]

Sorry there aren’t very many, you have very precise requirements! I hope some of these fit your tastes.