Any thoughts on Aoife?

[name]Aoife[/name] is a consistently popular & traditional name in [name]Ireland[/name] - it’s pronounced EE-fa, so I suppose the English equivalent is [name]Eva[/name]. Any thoughts on giving a girl who would grow up in the US the Irish name, complete with difficult spelling?

I think it’s a lovely name, but you and later she will have to explain the spelling and/or pronounciation.
If you can face that, then it’s a great choice.
A bit of diversity never comes amiss and beautiful names deserve to be spread.

I love this name!! But I am in Australia, not the US, so not sure if my opinion really counts on this one. I agree with the previous poster that you will be explaining all the time. Such a shame!! It’s such a beautiful name. But if you don’t mind doing that, then USE IT!! :slight_smile:

I think if you don’t mind explaining it go for it! It’s a lovely name, though here in the US it will be mispronounced more often then not

I think if you don’t mind explaining it go for it! It’s a lovely name, though here in the US it will be mispronounced more often then not

This is one of the (few) names on my list that I just don’t “get” if you will, essp. for parents living in the USA.

BTW, I’m allowed to give the following advice, I am Irish-

I would say if you are Irish and living in the USA, either pick an easily pronounced irish fn ([name]Ciara[/name] as an ex.) and/or keep this stashed away as a unique and personal mn choice.

I am from [name]Ireland[/name], and up until a few years ago I didn’t know how to pronounce this name although I think that it is a beautiful name. People are always pronouncing my name ([name]Michaela[/name]) wrong - Ma-[name]Kay[/name]-la instead of Ma-[name]KAI[/name]-la- So I won’t be put off choosing this name. If you like it just go for it!