Any thoughts on the name...

[name]Isla[/name]?
(pronounced eye-la)
We think we’ve decided on [name]Isla[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]. Last name starts with K. My husband loves it, I can’t commit! [name]Baby[/name] due next week!
Some concerns…
mispronounciation?
Cute girl name but is it also a respectable adult name?
Initials IK?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Where do you live? In [name]Britain[/name] [name]Isla[/name] is very popular already and in the US it’s poised to make a big leap. It’s a lovely name, but it has the markings of a popularity-boom.

Also, the etymology of [name]Isla[/name] is ‘large-flanked, protruding mound’ which isn’t the best meaning in the world.

That said, it is a name with a nice history to it and has a sweet ‘Scottish darling’ sound to it.

Also, I live in [name]Britain[/name] and so I know lots of Islas of all ages. There are quite a few news presenters called [name]Isla[/name], for example, so I don’t have any problem picturing it on an adult.

I think [name]Isla[/name] is a beautiful name! It was on our list but ultimately got bumped (mostly because we live on an island and thought it may be too much). With [name]Sophia[/name] as a middle name, you can always choose to call her something else should you decide [name]Isla[/name] doesn’t fit.

[name]Isla[/name] will be the next [name]Ava[/name], isabella and sophia. If that doesn’t bother you then go for it. I considered [name]Isla[/name] for my daughter but her father is Mexican and [name]Isla[/name] is island in spanish so he didn’t really like it.

[name]Isla[/name] will probably get very popular, but if you love it, go for it! [name]Isla[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] is beautiful!

Thanks! We live in [name]California[/name] and as far as I know, [name]Isla[/name] is not too popular here (yet!)…
My husband loves the meaning (Island), since he’s big into surfing, the ocean, etc.

I also found [name]Ayla[/name] (which I think is pronounced the same as [name]Isla[/name]), which means “halo, moonlight” …which I will run by him too!

It’s pretty but v popular here (UK) and will probably become more so in the US.

Im glad ur hubby like [name]Isla[/name] spanish for island its a beautiful meaning. i have a friend names [name]Ayla[/name] its pronounced a little differently with a hard A while [name]Isla[/name] is like Eye la. I like [name]Isla[/name] way more than [name]Ayla[/name]. I live in [name]California[/name] too and now a few [name]Isla[/name]'s, mostly with UK parents. Are you super set on sophie?? I think [name]Isla[/name] would look better with a longer middle like [name]Genevieve[/name] or [name]Violetta[/name]. [name]Just[/name] a suggestion.

[name]Don[/name]'t agree to naming your child [name]Isla[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] just because your husband really loves it! It’s something you both have to agree on!! You should tell him you’re not certain and discuss alternatives together… It’s not fair on you if he gets his way and you’ll never be able to truly love your daughter’s name… I just had to say that first!

Like others I also think the only real problem with [name]Isla[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] is the popularity… [name]Isla[/name] will only grow and [name]Sophia[/name] is already in the top ten! Perhaps if you chose a less popular middle name to create balance?
There’s a thread in the baby name games section of the forum where you can suggest alternatives to the top ten names, so here are the alternatives provided for [name]Sophia[/name]:
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] (beware of the [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection, in [name]Hamlet[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name] killed herself)
[name]Zoe[/name] (also rather popular…)
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Effie[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Sonja[/name]/[name]Sonya[/name]
[name]Salome[/name] (sah-loh-[name]MAY[/name])
Oph”lie (French version of [name]Ophelia[/name])
[name]Fiona[/name]

My brain is down today, so I couldn’t come up with any good suggestions myself…
I really like [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Sonya[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Sylvie[/name], [name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Salome[/name] with [name]Isla[/name]… Especially [name]Fiona[/name] ^^ Good luck to you!

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] is ADORABLE! Nothing bad to say about it, and great flow too! Good [name]Luck[/name]!