Anybody Need a Visual?

Something that really helps me when I’m trying to come up with a name for a character is to try and sketch them out, to get a better sense of what they look like and what name could easily fit with their appearance. I was wondering if that would help out anyone else, too. I’m happy to make sketches of characters to help people come up with names, and if anybody else wants to do this, they’re totally welcome to! I just think that this is a good way to find names that really match the character (I know the struggle of spending hours searching through names and not finding any that are quite right).

[name_m]Just[/name_m] as a warning, I am not very experienced with art and might not be able to do more than a simple sketch and possibly some color. [name_f]My[/name_f] style is very cartoony, and I’m hoping to keep things in the PG realm (basically meaning no blood and stuff).

I hope this helps!

8 Likes

Yes, please! [name_f]Lima[/name_f] [name_f]Jayde[/name_f] “LJ” hates loud noises & spends all of her free time outside. She is described with long, slick, brown-black hair that she wears up in a ponytail, & dark eyes.

1 Like

Here you go! It was a pretty quickish sketch; I hope she turned out okay.

8 Likes

This is so fun!! Could you draw what you would imagine a [name_f]Tesni[/name_f] Yarwood to look like? I’m just curious! :hearts:

(I’ll definitely come back to you if I’m having trouble naming a character! I’m just not currently naming any :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

Wow this is such a lovely idea. Thanks for taking the time to do it :white_heart:

I’m trying to find a name for a [name_f]Princess[/name_f] in my fantasy tale. She was originally called [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] but I decided against it.

She’s got Mousey brown, almost silvery hair, rosy pale skin, she’s short, with big grey eyes and wears a dusty pink gown. She’s moony and naive (yet determined) at the beginning of the story, but after a great adventure learns to see herself and the world in a different light. She falls in love with a disgraced palace guard after she convinces him to take her on a forbidden quest. Her kingdom is called Asteron :blush:

How do you see her?

1 Like

Can you do one for a character of mine. The story is set in medieval times. She has auburn hair tied back in a braid, hazel eyes, and freckles. She’s a bit above average height and has pale skin. She’s sympathetic and brave, but the brave usually leans more toward being reckless, she’s confident and gets into a lot of arguments over little things.

2 Likes

i really thank you so much for doing this!! it helps so much.
[name_u]Rory[/name_u] [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] is a young teen girl who was brought up in elegant and classy surroundings. she is disapproved of by her small town because she expresses herself by dressing in the street style clothing. she also absolutely loves astrology!

you’re so talented!

2 Likes

This is so fun! What a great idea to help inspire some creativity!

Could you do [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Adella[/name_f] (girl)?

1 Like

I decided to put them in summaries so they would take less space.

Tensi Yarwood

@winterara Tensi is such a great name! It’s definitely going on my list.

Summary

@alatari She sounds like such a cool character and she was so fun to draw! I hope she turned out okay.

Summary

@Amanda_Joy Here you go! I wasn’t completely sure what she’d be wearing so I just went with something that might be common in medieval times (It was based on a google search so who knows how accurate it is).

[name_u]Rory[/name_u] [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]

@canyonmoon28 First of all, thank you! <3 I had to do some research on street style clothes, so hopefully she turned out okay.

6 Likes

Yay thank you I love her

1 Like

I’m trying to decide what twins [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] might look like. They 100% have glasses (for reading, they read a LOT. Like me.), but that’s all I have fully decided, aside from the fact that they’re fraternal twins. If it’s too much to do twins, that’s fine.
Oh, and they’re about thirteen/fourteen if that’s important in any way.

1 Like

omg perfect! thank you again!

1 Like

She looks great!! The fact that you gave her blonde hair and blue eyes when those are two of the only things I know about her !! :two_hearts::two_hearts: thank you so much!

1 Like
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Adella[/name_f]

@AmyVermeersch Here you go!

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

@StormySkyz Here’s the twins! I am not very great at drawing glasses, so I apologize in advance.

(I imagine that [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is on the left and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is on the right, but you’re free to swap them if you want.)

3 Likes

They look great! Thank you so much! And don’t worry, the glasses are fine. I can’t judge, really, I’m much more a writer than an artist.

2 Likes

Oh my, she is perfect!! that’s just how I see her in my head! Thank you so much :white_heart:

1 Like

This is such a cool idea! I have a little girl in my story who I’m thinking of possibly calling Marigold ‘Goldie’ Elizabeth. I’m pretty sure I know what they look like in the story, but i’m just really curious to what you picture!

1 Like

I have two characters for you!

First there’s [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. She’s a princess, but the misfit of the family. She never gets anything quite right. She is very un-princess like. She’s an artist, but paints things in weird ways. Like if she were looking at a horse she would paint it like a skeleton horse. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] has strawberry blond hair and green eyes.

Then there’s [name_m]Orson[/name_m]. He’s an evil wizard/dark lord kind of guy. If you ask anybody, they’d say he’s really talented at the dark arts, but in reality he pales in comparison to his Mother. He’s just trying to live up to her expectations. [name_m]Orson[/name_m] has lavender skin, violet eyes and white hair.

1 Like

Since my way of doing things is start writing one thing, come up with another idea mid-way through and then write both at once, I’ve got a character who’s friends with a completely different set of twins in a completely different story that I’m not sure about the name of. I imagine her to have brown hair and greenish grey eyes. Her hair is straight and tied back into pigtails, and she’s got a birthmark near her left eye. She’s usually very quiet but she’s always willing to help her friends in whatever way they need it.

1 Like

Wow I love this! Thank you so much. It’s perfect.