Anyone else feels like they are going round in circles??

I have read a few posts lately from M2B having a hard time finding a name for BB2 and am one of them…

I think its even harder when DD number one has an unusual name…

I love mythology, uncommon classic/ regal names and DD is called “[name]Apolline[/name]” as it is a very uncommon classic french name and combines my love of mythology but i am aware ppl think harry potter before [name]Apollo[/name]…

[name]Harry[/name] potter reference doesnt really worry me and by the time they go to school, it will have long died down imo but i cant obviously be sure of that?!

We have 3 names that we keep going round in circles with:

[name]Emmeline[/name] (DH loves it but next to [name]Apolline[/name], the last 4 letters are the same…not sure if its right?)

[name]Heloise[/name] ( i like classic names and girly girl names…thinking [name]Heloise[/name] might be a bit dated and prononciation similar to louise which i dont like…)

[name]Hermione[/name] ( It fits with my love of mythology names and great stories behind the name…helen of troy’s daughter etc… but ppl will think of [name]Harry[/name] potter again)

We are really stuck…one minute i decide [name]Emmeline[/name] is too close to [name]Apolline[/name] and a bit baby-ish so change to [name]Hermione[/name] but then [name]Harry[/name] potter comes along so i change to heloise but all i can hear is louise…

Which one fits best with [name]Apolline[/name]? would fit with both french/english families? and has that timeless elegance i am after?

Any thoughts or suggestions maybe

I really like [name]Heloise[/name] best with [name]Apolline[/name]. It is easy in French and English, as well as timelessly elegant. I do think [name]Hermione[/name] screams HP and probably will for a few years still to come.

Have you considered: [name]Portia[/name], [name]Ariadne[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Clio[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Eudora[/name]? [name]Do[/name] any of those strike you as the same style you’re looking for, just not the right name?

I think [name]Heloise[/name] would be your best choice with [name]Apolline[/name]. [name]Emmeline[/name] does rhyme a tad too much with [name]Apolline[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name] is beginning to get pretty popular (not just on NB, I’ve seen it a lot on other sites as well), which doesn’t make it a good pair. I know nothing about [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] but I’ve heard many times that [name]Hermione[/name] is associated with the series and if [name]Apolline[/name] is as well then that may not be a good sib-set either. So my vote goes to [name]Heloise[/name], which I would never think of as dated and after explaining the pronunciation a few times it should stick.

Definitely [name]Heloise[/name]! Beautiful, unusual and literary.

I adore [name]Apolline[/name] - it is on our list, actually, as a way to get to the nn [name]Polly[/name]. I didn’t know that it was in [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]?

I love [name]Heloise[/name]! So different and yet perfect with [name]Apolline[/name]. I think [name]Emmeline[/name] is too close in ending and [name]Hermione[/name] is very strongly associated with [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] ([name]Apolline[/name] much less so) so I’d stay away from that name unless you absolutely love it. Some other names that might go:

[name]Ariadne[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Artemis[/name], [name]Persephone[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Damaris[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Gwendolyn[/name], [name]Coralie[/name], [name]Mathilde[/name], [name]Giselle[/name], [name]Bianca[/name], [name]Melisande[/name], [name]Guinevere[/name], [name]Celeste[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Colette[/name], [name]Estelle[/name], [name]Henrietta[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name], [name]Iolanthe[/name], [name]Xanthe[/name], [name]Evangelina[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Athena[/name], [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Leanore[/name], [name]Claudette[/name].

Without question; [name]Heloise[/name]
You could get away with the one name being a reference to [name]Potter[/name], but two? Unless you Want the association, i would stay away from the second reference.

[name]Heloise[/name] and [name]Apolline[/name]. Very nice.

Whichever way i look at it, there is association with HP…

[name]Emmeline[/name], hermione and [name]Eloise[/name] (same as heloise really) are in it!

Any thoughts on [name]Arabella[/name]…even though it is an “A” theme with [name]Apolline[/name], i like the fact thats its an old uncommon name but imo it also has the fashionable ending in “bella” “ella” “a” reminds me of isabella.

[name]Arabella[/name] is also in HP but like [name]Apolline[/name], i reckon most ppl wont make the connection as much as with [name]Hermione[/name] (real shame…i love it!)

Honestly, when it comes to [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], it’s a very long series with a ridiculous number of characters. The smaller characters, including [name]Apolline[/name], [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name] are most likely unknown to most people, and I even had to google them and I’ve read all the books and seen the movies. [name]Arabella[/name] is a name that’s rising in popularity and I don’t think most people would associate it first with [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. They are all lovely names and I wouldn’t let HP interfere with how you choose a name.

[name]Apolline[/name] is lovely! I agree with you and Freckles that most people would not connect names like [name]Arabella[/name] and [name]Apolline[/name] with [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] (I am a casual HP fan but don’t remember either of those characters!), but unfortunately [name]Hermione[/name] is a different story. I’m afraid [name]Emmeline[/name] may be too similar to [name]Apolline[/name], but [name]Heloise[/name] goes nicely. [name]Arabella[/name] is very pretty and could work even though, to me, it sounds more mainstream than [name]Apolline[/name]. You may also like:

[name]Althea[/name]*
[name]Arlette[/name] (NB associates this with [name]Arlene[/name], but I think it sounds French and pretty)
[name]Calandra[/name]/[name]Calantha[/name]
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name]*
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Dido[/name] (too associated with the singer? I love it though)
[name]Elodie[/name]*
[name]Evadne[/name]
[name]Melora[/name]/Meloria*
[name]Romilly[/name]*
[name]Thisbe[/name]*
[name]Xanthe[/name]

My favorite with [name]Apolline[/name] would probably be [name]Melora[/name]! Good luck!

Thanks for your suggestions
Unfortunately [name]Melora[/name]/ [name]Arlette[/name]/[name]Elodie[/name] are all taken by family members…DH doesnt like [name]Romilly[/name]

I did think of [name]Adelaide[/name] but thats taken too hence [name]Arabella[/name] popped up

I have been going in circles so long, we are past the registrar’s deadline for naming. Yes, our daughter is here.

It’s almost impossible. One name forward, two names back.

I vote [name]Hermione[/name]!

I do sympathise! I was really excited at first but now its getting quite stressful and a real struggle…Takes the fun out of it!

What is your top list of names?
[name]Hope[/name] you find one soon…

[name]Apolline[/name]? [name]How[/name] beautiful! Yes, it reminds me of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], since that was where I first heard it, but it first and foremost makes me think of elegance. Good choice. (:

[name]Emmeline[/name] – Beautiful name, but waaaay too close to [name]Apolline[/name]. Consider [name]Gemma[/name].

[name]Heloise[/name] – I really like [name]Heloise[/name], although I find [name]Eloise[/name] preferable, as it sounds less harsh to me.

[name]Hermione[/name] – I’d probably save it as a mn for that reason. I almost said to go with [name]Hermina[/name], but with [name]Apolline[/name]… I do love [name]Hermione[/name], though. [name]Just[/name] maybe not with [name]Apolline[/name]. [name]Harriet[/name] has a similar sound/style to my ears, but that might just be me.

Suggestions:
[name]Cressida[/name] – when I hear [name]Apolline[/name], this name just seems like a good sister for her.
[name]Florence[/name] – [name]Both[/name] are a mix of soft and strong.
[name]Ophelia[/name] – I like how these have some of the same letters, but not noticeably, like in the same places or same order. It just makes them look and sound compatible.
[name]Melisande[/name] – exotic enough to not get run down by [name]Apolline[/name]. Also has the same “mel” like in [name]Emmeline[/name].

Good luck! NameGoddess

[name]Hermione[/name]- I would not use another [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] name. Using one is okay, infact I wasnt even aware that Appolline was a [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] character. I am aware that [name]Hermione[/name] is and so is the rest of the world.

[name]Emmeline[/name]- I agree, I dont like the double line ending. But dont you pronounce [name]Appoline[/name] Appa-LEEN and [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Emma[/name]-[name]LINE[/name]? They dont sound too similar that way. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Emelina[/name]?

[name]Heloise[/name]- Honestly, I just dont like this name. The Hel part at the begining of [name]Heloise[/name] stands out to me way to much. It looks a little evil imo. I dont know, maybe I’m pronouncing it wrong and putting to much emphasis on the Hel part. I love [name]Eloise[/name] though.

Some other suggestions:
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Francine[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josette[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Laurette[/name]
[name]Lisette[/name]
[name]Lucienne[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Maeva[/name]
[name]Margaux[/name] or [name]Margo[/name]
[name]Mariette[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Murielle[/name]
[name]Nicolette[/name]
[name]Noella[/name]
[name]Pascaline[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Roselle[/name]
[name]Seraphine[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Suzette[/name]
[name]Valentine[/name]
[name]Zephyrine[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you like any of those? Good luck!

I like [name]Heloise[/name]. I think it sounds classic and fits well with Apeline. It also reminds me of the many “old lady” names that are coming back.

I love the name [name]Apolline[/name]!

From your list, I would use [name]Heloise[/name]. Though [name]Eloise[/name] is a HP character, [name]Heloise[/name] is not. Also, I think [name]Eloise[/name] was only mentioned and never actually had an important role. [name]Apolline[/name] was a minor character, too. I think that most people would associate [name]Heloise[/name] with [name]Peter[/name] [name]Abelard[/name]'s wife and Household Hints. [name]Emmeline[/name] had a larger role, but she only appeared in one of the books and was mentioned in the next one after her death. However, I agree that [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Apolline[/name] are too close. If you pronounce the -ine sounds differently (like EYE-n and EEN), it may not be an issue, but I personally pronounce them both like EEN.

Sorry about all of that, I used to be a huge HP fanatic.