Anyone else have this problem? And would it bother you?

My fiance’s nieces are named [name]Nora[/name] and [name]Nina[/name], they are [name]Samantha[/name]'s kids. His nephew is [name]Noah[/name], who is [name]Allison[/name]'s kid. Everyone kind of thinks [name]Allison[/name] copied [name]Samantha[/name] because [name]Samantha[/name] had [name]Nora[/name] before she had [name]Noah[/name]. So their names all start with N, which is why I am not using an N name.

Recently I fell in love with the name [name]Flora[/name], but unfortunately it rhymes with [name]Nora[/name]. So [name]Flora[/name] is going to end up being a pet name… same thing happened with [name]Mina[/name], I love [name]Mina[/name], but it rhymes with [name]Nina[/name].

We have our hearts set on [name]Lunette[/name] for a girl’s name though, which I love beyond the others, but I was just wondering if anyone else has run into a similar issue? Would it bother you if your kids name rhymed or was similar to a family member?

[name]Lunette[/name] is really sweet! I love [name]Mina[/name] and [name]Flora[/name], too–too bad they ended up being unusable to you!

I’m worried that this will happen to me. I’m the oldest in my family, so my siblings haven’t had children yet, and I don’t have a SO to worry about his family taking my favorite names yet, but every time one of my cousins or distant cousins get pregnant, I worry that they’ll steal my favorites! So far, they’ve used [name]Benjamin[/name] (which used to be my favorite boys’ name), [name]Brenna[/name] (which, thankfully, I don’t care for at all! Nice name but not something I’m interested in), [name]Emma[/name] ([name]Emmeline[/name] used to be my favorite girls’ name), [name]Lyla[/name] ([name]Lila[/name] used to be in my top 10; [name]Lillian[/name]/[name]Liliana[/name] now is), and [name]Alaina[/name] (I love [name]Helena[/name] and [name]Eleni[/name]… at least they’re more different from [name]Alaina[/name] than [name]Elena[/name] is!). I just keep crossing my fingers that no one will use [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], or [name]Olivia[/name], since I love [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], and [name]Avery[/name] so much. I suppose I’ll worry even more until I actually do use one of my favorite names–it’s just something we all deal with, I guess!

If the names had been used by family members that I see and talk to frequently, I’m pretty sure I would pick different names that didn’t rhyme or sound similar. There’s enough names that I love, so it wouldn’t be a problem for me to choose something else.

[name]Lunette[/name] is kind of cute.

I’d definitely consider the situation, but if I truly loved a name and knew it was “THE [name]ONE[/name]”, then I’d go ahead and use it anyway. If it was “well, I really like this name, but there are others I like as well…” then I’d opt for a different, non-rhyming name. And if anyone comments on how all the cousins’ names rhyme, just laugh and note how funny it is that things happened that way. No need to admit to purposefully naming them such if it’s not true.

If you love [name]Lunette[/name], then use that. Or, go with [name]Lunette[/name] [name]Flora[/name] (or [name]Mina[/name]) as the full fn/mn combo, then call her whatever you wish as a nickname.

[name]Don[/name]'t over-think it. :slight_smile:

Use [name]Flora[/name], or [name]Mina[/name] or whatever you want. It honestly doesn’t matter. The child might end up going by a nickname anyways, just make sure when calling her you pronounce her name clearly so [name]Nora[/name] or [name]Nina[/name] don’t get confused, or your daughter could get confused!

I have ruled things out for being too similar to other peoples names…my best friend’s daughter is [name]Violet[/name]…she’s 10, so it’s not like she’s in my newborn daughter’s age group, but I still gave up on [name]Lilac[/name], which I love…but it’s also a purple color & a purple flower just like [name]Violet[/name]! Despite the sound being so different, it just seemed weird to me so I let that one go!

I do think that as long as it isn’t the same name exactly it would be petty if someone ever brought it up. Like if [name]Norah[/name] mom confronted [name]Noah[/name]'s mom that would be way out of line. They are similar, but it’s not even something that everyone would notice. I’m sure [name]Violet[/name]'s mom wouldn’t think twice if I have a [name]Lilac[/name] or a [name]Lavender[/name]…but I didn’t feel right about it and that’s what it really comes down to.

My opinion…[name]Flora[/name] & [name]Mina[/name] are fine to use unless it bothers you!