Anyone want to take a look at my boys list?

Good evening, everwaiting:)

[name]Daniel[/name]? I really, really like [name]Daniel[/name] and I would love it if it weren’t for it’s meaning. Now, I know it’s meaning is completely inoffensive and for some people wonderful but I’m buddhist so I try to stay away from names that have God in their meanings. I do adore the [name]Elton[/name] [name]John[/name] song ‘[name]Daniel[/name]’ too:)

Thanks for your suggestion (and revised opinion on [name]Dudley[/name])!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Charlie[/name],

[name]Ah[/name]! There was so much in there that I feel we’ve already covered, so I’ll go to new stuff.

Yeah! What’s wrong with you, [name]Ron[/name] [name]Howard[/name]? Giving your daughter a name like [name]Bryce[/name] [name]Dallas[/name] [name]Howard[/name], and setting her up for a lifetime of people not knowing her gender? Ha! But, actually, I think [name]Bryce[/name] [name]Dallas[/name] [name]Howard[/name] sounds really cool. I suppose they could have thrown in a [name]Rose[/name] - oh, boy! - right? [name]Bryce[/name] [name]Dallas[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Howard[/name]? Nope. Not the same effect…

Stroma? It has a cool look and sound, but why does it remind me of either pasta or mathematics? I must look it up! Um, it appears that stroma has many medical and biological meanings, in addition to being a place-name in [name]Scotland[/name]. But considering that “stroma of ovary” popped up when I looked the term up, I’m going to vote NO to Stroma! What a shame…

And, yes, I’m studying psychology. Well, actually cognitive neuroscience, but I want to do neuropsychology. So, it’s a little bit of both. That’s so cool that you want to do that, too!

Talk to you later! I have to run two subjects in the psych lab today, so I won’t be on until the afternoon - that’s in like, huh, six hours?

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Hey [name]Charlie[/name],

Since you live New Zealand (sorry I didn’t know), you can ignore some of my observations on names like [name]Rueben[/name] and others that I might have mentioned as being too popular (here in [name]Ireland[/name] or the UK and US).

I liked your explanations behind some of your choices, especially the [name]Ralph[/name] [name]Waldo[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] namesake. And if it doesn’t bother you that [name]Emerson[/name] is being used on girls (which it may be less so in NZ and Australia) then more power to you. Personally I would really love [name]Emerson[/name] on a little boy if it weren’t getting so much usage on the girls’ side. Maybe you would like some other literary names like [name]Edgar[/name] ([name]Allan[/name] [name]Poe[/name]), [name]Bram[/name] (Stoker), [name]Oscar[/name] (Wilde), [name]Friedrich[/name] (Nietzsche), and of course you already like [name]Walter[/name] which could also be a namesake for [name]Walt[/name] [name]Whitman[/name]. If you like [name]Parker[/name] for [name]Rosa[/name] [name]Parks[/name] you may also like [name]Martin[/name] for [name]Martin[/name] [name]Luther[/name] [name]King[/name]. (Sorry if I’m only making this more difficult by adding more names to your list).

Anyways I hope that helps and I’m glad you liked my (user) name =) I use it because my proper name doesn’t have any nice nicknames to go along with it (which explains my infatuation with nicknames).

Cheers![/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Ginger[/name]!

Yes, naming is quite different over here I think. From what I can tell (I don’t have any kids or younger siblings so I’m not a go to source on babies names in NZ) we are more conservative when I comes to naming. For example I don’t know any girl Haydens or Camerons, I know several of each but they are all boys. So I imagine [name]Emerson[/name] would be the same, it would be seen as a boys name by people here.

I love literary names! And you would never be making it harder by suggesting names, my lists are never concise:) I do really like [name]Edgar[/name] and [name]Alan[/name] actually, I’m not a fan of [name]Bram[/name] or [name]Abraham[/name] to be honest, I prefer [name]Wilder[/name] over [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Friedrich[/name] is very interesting. I find [name]Martin[/name] [name]Luther[/name] [name]King[/name] [name]Jr[/name]. inspirational but I don’t love his name. [name]Martin[/name] has a great sound and it looks handsome but I don’t like it’s meaning so it’s out for me, I’m afraid.

Thank-you for your all your feedback and suggestions!

• [name]Charlie[/name][/quote]

Well I must say I envy you for not having thousands of little girls going about with names like [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]Elliott[/name], and [name]Ryan[/name]! I wish it were more that way over here. I believe I heard you say you Buddhist so I can see why [name]Abraham[/name]/[name]Bram[/name] or [name]Martin[/name] wouldn’t be names you would like. I’m not a religious person myself but I a lot of my top names have a religious meaning attached to them that does make me consider scratching them from my list. I guess I just try and take them less literally like [name]Liesl[/name] for instance which means “my god is a vow,” which God could represent your own convictions and personal beliefs without being about a specific belief. Or like [name]Matilda[/name] means “powerful battler,” which I see to translate to someone who is brave and stands up for what shes believes in. But that’s just me, and I suppose since my name has a pretty terrible meaning for a girl (“[name]Manly[/name], warrior; man”) I’ve never put too much weight on meanings. ([name]Ah[/name] sorry for the rant, I don’t mean to try and change you mind, I just thought I’d share.)

Anyways, I’m glad you liked [name]Friedrich[/name] (it’s a high contender for me), I think you’ll like it’s meaning; “peaceful ruler.” Oh and I probably should have included a pronunciation guide: ([name]FREE[/name] - drich).

Cheers!

[name]Oliver[/name]: I love the name [name]Oliver[/name] so much. I think it ages well, and it’s a great name.
[name]Owen[/name]: To me, this name is just alright. I’m not a huge fan of it, but I also don’t hate it. I like it on someone else’s kid, just not mine.
[name]Edmund[/name]: I’m not a fan of [name]Edmund[/name] at all, I get an image of a snobby prepster. I prefer [name]Edward[/name].
[name]Stephen[/name]: This name is okay. I like it, but there’s no wow factor to it.
[name]William[/name]: A classic name that you can’t really go wrong with. Personally I like the nickname [name]Liam[/name] for it.
[name]Anthony[/name]: For personal reasons, I’m not the biggest fan, but it’s still a great, classic name.
[name]Alexander[/name]: I love and adore the name [name]Alexander[/name] and desperately wish I could use it. I know it’s very popular right now, but it’s timeless. [name]Love[/name] it.
[name]Robert[/name]: Another great classic name that I really like. It ages really well and it’s a handsome name. I just despise the nicknames [name]Bob[/name] and [name]Bobby[/name].
[name]David[/name]: This is my dad’s name, so I love it. I think it’s another classic with versatility. It can fit any boy or man.
[name]Charles[/name]: This is such a great name. It really is. It will always be stylish and cool, and the nickname [name]Charlie[/name] is a great option.
[name]Andrew[/name]: Not the biggest fan of [name]Andrew[/name], although it is a nice name, but I love the nickname [name]Drew[/name].
[name]Benjamin[/name]: It’s classic, fits everyone, and overall a good choice.
[name]Nicholas[/name]: I think [name]Nicholas[/name] is a great name, and I love [name]Nic[/name] as a nickname.
[name]Henry[/name]: One of my favorite names, I simply adore it. It’s classic, ages well, cool, sophisticated… [name]Just[/name] perfection. Lol
[name]Julian[/name]: I tried really hard to like this name, but I just can’t. It’s way too girly for me, and I really dislike that it starts with the sound “jew”.
[name]Ashton[/name]: I think this is a great name. It’s cool and can be taken seriously.
[name]Patrick[/name]: Whenever I hear this name, I can’t help but picture [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Star[/name] from SpongeBob. Lol so this is a no from me.
[name]Simon[/name]: I really just don’t like the sound of this name. I’m not sure what it is, but I really don’t like it.
[name]Parker[/name]: While I like it on a little boy, I can’t picture an adult with this name.
[name]Reuben[/name]: The first thing my mind goes to is [name]Ben[/name] Stiller, from Along Came [name]Polly[/name]. I’m not a fan.
[name]Jeffrey[/name]: I love this name so much, mostly for personal reasons. But it also is just such a great name to me. Some say it’s dated, but I love it. Plus, every [name]Jeff[/name]/[name]Jeffrey[/name] I’ve known has been a great guy.

[name]Ambrose[/name]: It has the word [name]Rose[/name] in it. To me, that makes it off limits for a boy.
[name]Prosper[/name]: Sounds like a pilgrim name to me. I’m just not a fan of word names anyway.
[name]Stellan[/name]: I think this is a great name. Once again, it’s cool and stylish. It just exudes awesome to me. Lol.
[name]Jonah[/name]: and the whale. No. I’m not a fan.
[name]Walter[/name]: I really dislike [name]Walter[/name]. I just can’t see a little boy named [name]Walter[/name].
[name]Louis[/name]: Another one I’m not a fan of. I don’t really like names that start with the sound “lou”.
[name]Arthur[/name]: This name is starting to grow on me, and I like the nickname [name]Artie[/name].
[name]Holden[/name]: Being a literature buff, I love this name because of Catcher in the [name]Rye[/name]. Such a great book, and such a great name. [name]Love[/name] it.
[name]Ronald[/name]: [name]McDonald[/name]. That’s the first thing I think of, so it’s not my favorite.
[name]Augustine[/name]: Maybe it’s because I don’t like [name]St[/name]. [name]Augustine[/name], but I don’t think this is a good choice. [name]August[/name] would be better.
[name]Hugo[/name]: I can’t help but think of Lost, and then a lonely fat guy.
[name]Emerson[/name]: While I do like this name for a girl, I can also see the charm for a boy.
[name]Jasper[/name]: I really like this name, but would suggest that you avoid using it while in the midst of the Twilight craze.
[name]Leopold[/name]: This is way too nerdy to me, and not in a cool way. While I love nerds, I feel like this name just dooms a kid to nerd-dom. [name]Leo[/name] by itself is wonderful though.
[name]Auden[/name]: I first heard this as a girl’s name, but I think it works great for a boy or girl.
[name]Dudley[/name]: See [name]Leopold[/name]. And it has the word Dud in it, major no.
[name]Spencer[/name]: I like this name enough. Like [name]Stephen[/name], there’s no wow factor to me though.
[name]Gregory[/name]: Eh… You’ve chosen much better.
[name]Felix[/name]: I think this is a great name. It’s cool and unique without being really weird. I like it.
[name]Archibald[/name]: Not a fan of [name]Archibald[/name] at all. I’m guessing you like the nickname [name]Archie[/name]? Then I’d go with [name]Archer[/name].
[name]Fergus[/name]: Something about this name I just don’t like… I’m not sure what, but I feel like it’s missing something.
[name]Albert[/name]: Fat [name]Albert[/name]. No.
[name]Magnus[/name]: This name is cool. It’s hip and stylish, I really like it.
[name]Ernest[/name]: See [name]Leopold[/name]. And I think of [name]Bert[/name] and [name]Ernie[/name].
[name]Eric[/name]: In grade school I knew a kid named [name]Eric[/name], and he was just the All-American Boy. I think it’s a great name.
[name]Xavier[/name]: [name]Little[/name] by little this name is growing on me. It’s alright, and while I’m not a fan of X names, it’s morr substantial than [name]Xander[/name].
[name]Atticus[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it. It’s wonderful. It’s cool, handsome, and I picture a smart and funny, confident guy. [name]Love[/name] it.
[name]Hector[/name]: To me it sounds like you’re combining [name]Hannibal[/name] Lector. But I also just don’t like it.
[name]Tucker[/name]: For awhile I really loved this name, and I still like its surname feel. It’s a good name.
[name]Pierce[/name]: Not a fan. It’s too much of a verb than a name to be.
[name]Forrest[/name]: I really love this name! I have a friend named [name]Forrest[/name], who I call Jungle for some reason, and he’s a really cool kid. [name]Love[/name] it.
[name]Harvey[/name]: I want to like this name because it’s cool and different. It’s kind of like [name]Owen[/name], I like it on someone else’s kid.
[name]Bruno[/name]: No no no. While I love [name]Sacha[/name] Baren [name]Cohen[/name], after seeing the movie [name]Brun[/name]”, I could never see someone named [name]Bruno[/name] without thinking of the movie. Please no.
[name]Ralph[/name]: Once again, being a literary buff, I like this name from a book, [name]Lord[/name] of the Flies. I think it’s a nice name.
[name]Jett[/name]: [name]Love[/name] this name! I picture a cool cowboy, and I think it’s just great. If you watch the Amazing [name]Race[/name] you’ll see why I like it.
[name]Dexter[/name]: Unlike [name]Leopold[/name], this name is nerdy in a cool way. I love this name so much and adore the nickname [name]Dex[/name]. I picture a cute little kid with glasses. [name]Love[/name] it.
[name]Francis[/name]: No, not for me. It’s too girly, and I even don’t like it on a girl.
[name]Clyde[/name]: I think of the Clydestale horses, so it’s not my favorite. [name]Clark[/name] would be a cooler alternative.
[name]Sylvester[/name]: I immediately think of Looney Toons. I don’t like it.
[name]Wyatt[/name]: This name is slowly growing on me… It’s cool, but I think of a lightbulb.
[name]Gavin[/name]: I like this name because I think it’s different and cool.
[name]Bryce[/name]: I really like [name]Bryce[/name]. I’m not sure why it’s appealing, but it is. I like it.
[name]Gene[/name]: No way. I am a biology nerd and can’t imagine ever naming or seeing a kid [name]Gene[/name]. To me, it’s like naming them “Allele” or “Chromosome”. Lol.

Well, I realize I’m very strongly opinionated, but I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

PS: I read the few comments about Stroma as a name, and it’s also a biology term. Lol. It’s in the chloroplast, which is where photosynthesis occurs in plants, and is basically jelly that everything sits in. Hah, I think it’s kind of funny that you have two kind of biology related names.

Woo-hoo!!! Giant name list!!!

Popular / Not uncommon or unusual (wasn’t really sure how to describe this one) :
[name]Oliver[/name]: [name]Love[/name]!
[name]Owen[/name]: I think it’s really handsome…
[name]Edmund[/name]: So cool!
[name]Stephen[/name]: I like some of the others more, but I do think it’s handsome…
[name]William[/name]: I love it!
[name]Anthony[/name]: I think it’s a solid name…
[name]Alexander[/name]: Ditto…
[name]Robert[/name]: Ditto…
[name]David[/name]: I think it’s great!
[name]Charles[/name]: I luh-luh-luh-love [name]Charles[/name]!
[name]Andrew[/name]: I think it’s great!
[name]Benjamin[/name]: So handsome!
[name]Nicholas[/name]: I think it’s very handsome…
[name]Henry[/name]: I love it! Go, [name]Henry[/name]!
[name]Julian[/name]: I think it’s great!
[name]Ashton[/name]: I like some of the others more…
[name]Patrick[/name]: I like it a lot…
[name]Simon[/name]: Oooh…I love [name]Simon[/name]!
[name]Parker[/name]: I like some of the others more…
[name]Reuben[/name]: I think it’s great. I’ve never met a little [name]Reuben[/name].
[name]Jeffrey[/name]: I think it’s handsome, but at the same time, some of the other names are more timeless to me.

Uncommon:
[name]Ambrose[/name]: I think it’s a great name. I really love it as a middle.
[name]Prosper[/name]: But what if he doesn’t prosper? I think it’s cool in theory, though.
[name]Stellan[/name]: So handsome!
[name]Jonah[/name]: I love it!
[name]Walter[/name]: You know, [name]Walter[/name] is really growing on me. (Whenever I phrase it that way, it seems like I’m talking about a fungus.) :slight_smile:
[name]Louis[/name]: I really like [name]Louis[/name]…
[name]Arthur[/name]: [name]LOVE[/name]!
[name]Holden[/name]: I’m working on liking [name]Holden[/name]. (I’ll get back to you.) :slight_smile:
[name]Ronald[/name]: I need to work on separating [name]Ronald[/name] from the almighty [name]McDonald[/name].
[name]Augustine[/name]: I love [name]August[/name], but I’m wondering if [name]Augustine[/name] is too feminine?
[name]Hugo[/name]: I love it!
[name]Emerson[/name]: I think it’s handsome, and I love [name]Ralph[/name] [name]Waldo[/name] [name]Emerson[/name].
[name]Jasper[/name]: I love it!
[name]Leopold[/name]: So cool!
[name]Auden[/name]: I think it’s great, but I’ve been wondering if [name]Auden[/name] is going to the girls because of its similarity to [name]Audrey[/name]. Hmm…
[name]Dudley[/name]: I like some of the others more…
[name]Spencer[/name]: I like it a lot…
[name]Gregory[/name]: I love [name]Gregory[/name] Peck, so I think it’s great.
[name]Felix[/name]: I love it!
[name]Archibald[/name]: I love [name]Archie[/name]!
[name]Fergus[/name]: So cool…
[name]Albert[/name]: I like it a lot…
[name]Magnus[/name]: I really love [name]Magnus[/name]!
[name]Ernest[/name]: I like some of the others more…
[name]Eric[/name]: Ditto…
[name]Xavier[/name]: I really like it a lot! I think it’s really handsome!
[name]Atticus[/name]: [name]LOVE[/name]!
[name]Hector[/name]: I like some of the others more…
[name]Tucker[/name]: I want to like [name]Tucker[/name], so I’ll get back to you…
[name]Pierce[/name]: I think it’s really handsome!
[name]Forrest[/name]: Gump! (I used to love [name]Forrest[/name], but now I sadly can’t hear the name without thinking, “Ruh-uuun, Faw-riiiist, Ruuuuh–uhhn!” I bet if I knew a little [name]Forrest[/name], that would change.)
[name]Harvey[/name]: It’s really growing on me…
[name]Bruno[/name]: I’m working on it…
[name]Ralph[/name]: Ditto…
[name]Jett[/name]: I like some of the others more…
[name]Dexter[/name]: I love [name]Dexter[/name]!
[name]Francis[/name]: I like it a lot!
[name]Clyde[/name]: So cool!
[name]Sylvester[/name]: Working on it…
[name]Wyatt[/name]: I like it a lot…
[name]Gavin[/name]: I think it’s a nice name…
[name]Bryce[/name]: I like some of the others more…
[name]Gene[/name]: Ditto…

Sorry for repeats!

[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Calder[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name] (reminds me of [name]Ralph[/name], with [name]Ambrose[/name]'s feel)
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]

Great list, [name]Charlie[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] again!

Sorry for the (extremely) late response, busy again. First, thanks so much to Rachelmarie and [name]Jill[/name] for your responses, I love reading everyone’s opinions! Thanks again to [name]Ginger[/name] and [name]Lemon[/name], your feedback has been invaluable:)

It seems Stroma has been officially denied, I did really like it but after reading about the things in relation to it I’ve decided it wouldn’t be appropriate as a name.

[name]Jill[/name], thank-you for your suggestions! I’ve come to the realization that I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] so it’s headed straight for the top of the list:) I also really like [name]Leo[/name] (as a nn for [name]Leopold[/name]), [name]Julius[/name] (but prefer [name]Julian[/name]) and [name]Solomon[/name] which is actually on my list of more unusual boys names.

Thanks again everyone:)

• [name]Charlie[/name]