Anyone with PCOS?

Someone I know with PCOS (poly-cystic ovary syndrome) recently underwent their 2nd (but successful) cycle of IVF. I’ve always been concerned I have PCOS because of my severely infrequent periods, but I haven’t gotten tested yet (scheduled for [name]August[/name]).

I was just wondering if anyone here had experiences (positive or negative) with PCOS. What did you do about it? Could you get pregnant eventually? Did it get better/worse?

I’m only 23, but I want to start possible treatment early so when we’re ready to try for babies, it’s less stressful. I’m worried what it will cost us. Was that horrendous for anyone?

[name]Hi[/name]!

I’m also 23, and was diagnosed (officially) with PCOS when I was 20, but have been on birth control since I was 14 because of menstrual cycles from hell.

I can’t answer your questions about being able to get pregnant or the cost, etc, as that period of my life is far, far off. However, I know plenty of women who have been diagnosed and were subsequently able to have their own children. Some needed no assistance, others needed Clomid, IUI, or IVF. But I can tell you about my experience, etc.

I’ve always had incredibly heavy, painful, long, and irregular cycles. My first came when I was 12 and missed at least one day of school a month in 7th and 8th grade. In high school I’d still be bed-ridden and curled up in fetal position, but I couldn’t afford to miss as much. They put me on BC at the end of my freshman year of hs. [name]Junior[/name] year I was in bed for a 4 days because a cyst had ruptured.

Anyway, fast-forward to college. [name]Winter[/name] of freshman year I switched to Ortho [name]Tri[/name] Cyclen in the hopes of decreasing cramps. All this did was made me retain massive amounts of water and blow up like a puffer fish. Switched pills yet again (I’ve tried them all, no joke). Then I went to college [name]Hawaii[/name] for a semester and gained 15 pounds, even though I walked 4 miles a day and hardly ate. At that point, they realized there was obviously an underlying issue (they’d always suspected endometriosis).

My mother is an ob/gyn ultrasonographer, so she did an ultrasound and sure enough, both ovaries are completely lined with cysts. They ran blood tests and my insulin levels confirmed the PCOS diagnosis. At the time, they switched me to Yaz and put me on a low-carb/low sugar diet. Well, I did a horrible job of following the diet and from hs grad- college grad I gained 50 pounds. Last fall they rechecked all my levels and everything had sky-rocketed, including my glucose levels. They put me on 2000mg of Metformin, which I still take.

Since then, my glucose levels have gone down but my insulin levels increased, again. Honestly, the best treatment for PCOS is maintaining a healthy diet and weight. Being on birth control is also supposed to help regulate your period, which may take up to 6 months to do. If you never ovulate, the doc would most likely put you on Folistim or something along those lines to stimulate ovulation.

Being proactive about it now is a really smart decision. [name]Do[/name] you have any other symptoms, other than irregular periods? Recent studies indicate that 10% of females in the US have PCOS… God willing, you are not part of this statistic.

Best wishes,
[name]Marianne[/name]

I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 18 or so, and immediately put on BC pills. I soon switched to the patch for the sake of convenience. I got married at 21, and started TTC at around 24 or 25. My husband and I tried for 6 months with no fertility drugs, and were unsuccessful. Oddly enough, however, my periods were relatively consistent - every 4-6 weeks. I tried Clomid last fall for 3 months and it was also unsuccessful. Choosing not to delve further into the land of infertility treatments, we decided to start an adoption process. Then lo and behold in [name]March[/name] of this past year we discovered we were pregnant. No drugs or anything.

Our baby girl is due in [name]November[/name].

I know that every PCOS story is different, but that’s mine. I do remember a nice forum - soul cysters, I think. Google it. :slight_smile:

I’m 24 with PCOS, DH and I have been TTC for 6 months and have been unsuccessful. I have a fertility appointment in a few weeks to hopefully start Clomid. Not being able to conceive has been pretty hard on us, and me especially. I feel like my womanhood has been stripped from me I just feel defeated. Hopefully after the appointment I’ll have hope.

I’m so sorry to hear about your struggle. Knowing that my fertility is in question makes me feel like I’ve been stripped of my womanhood, too. I’ll be keeping you in my prayers. [name]Just[/name] curious, have you been on Metformin at all? Also, that soul cysters website the person above mentioned is a good site. I don’t visit it frequently… or really, ever, I’ve come across it doing google searches. But I’m thinking it might help keep you encouraged as I assume there are several women on their who have conceived after their diagnosis.

My mom got pregnant with twins using Clomid and I know two different women who conceived QUADS (gasp) after a couple rounds of Clomid. I hope it works for you, too :slight_smile:

Thank you for the kind words :] I’ve been to soulcysters (although not often) and i love the support. DH and I are in fact hoping for clomid twins, but obviously would be happy with a singleton :]

I came off the pill in Oct and after v. infrequent periods, went to the docs for blood tests, they sent me for a scan and sure enough its pcos. The put me on some tablets to try and regulate my periods and i had an appointment scheduled with the gyno. Well 2 weeks after i had been on the tablets i was reading the leaflet and it said do not take if pregnant. I hadn’t had a period for 7 weeks but that is nothing unusual, anyway, thought i better test just in case and low and behold i am now 11 weeks pregnant. I hope this gives you encouragement that it can happen and i really hope it happens for you soon