Apollonia or Etelka?

These are two names i’m trying to decide over, which are non-negotiable now,
as it took me long enough to decide upon them…

The first one is [name]Apollonia[/name] - Latinized Greek name from ‘[name]Apollo[/name]’ respectively, probably will be shortened to [name]Lola[/name].
The second one is Etelka - Hungarian girls name feminization of ‘[name]Attila[/name]’, but i may shorten to [name]Elka[/name].

So, i’m just wondering, which would be a better name… as the foreign sound doesn’t
bother me personally, but what do others think is the better name to choose?
Thanks heaps :slight_smile:

[name]Apollonia[/name] with the great nn of [name]Polly[/name] for sure!!

rollo

[name]Apollonia[/name] / [name]Lola[/name] for sure! Very cute!

[name]Apollonia[/name] called [name]Polly[/name] or [name]Apple[/name] :slight_smile:

I think I like [name]Apollonia[/name] better as well. [name]Lola[/name] and [name]Polly[/name] are both cute nickname choices, or even [name]Nia[/name] (actress [name]Nia[/name] Vardalos from “Big Fat Greek Wedding” comes to mind). I automatically know how to pronounce [name]Apollonia[/name], and I think I’d know how to spell it if I heard it, since it was a well-known city in Ancient Greece and well-represented in history and art books. I’m not sure I’d be confident about how to spell or pronounce Etelka, and it has a slightly harsher sound to me for some reason. [name]Just[/name] my opinion, though!

Thanks for the suggestion, [name]Rollo[/name] :slight_smile:
By the way, her sisters name is [name]Matilda[/name]…

Thanks everyone, its looking like [name]Apollonia[/name] so far…
I guess the reason why i considered Etelka is because it is more uncommon, has a similar sound and because
[name]Attila[/name] would of been chosen in the case of a boy, but it seems my grandma has been the only one against [name]Apollonia[/name] so far :stuck_out_tongue:

I like both names, but [name]Apollonia[/name] gets my vote! :slight_smile: [name]Lola[/name] is an adorable nickname, as is [name]Elka[/name].

Appollnia gets my vote just for the [name]Prince[/name] reference lol!

Yeah, all I can think about is the [name]Prince[/name] reference.

I’m sorry I’m being honest and not trying to sound mean. The only [name]Apollonia[/name] I have ever met was a stripper. I think the name itself is interesting, but it is now ruined for me. I like Etelke or [name]Elke[/name] better.

I went to high school with a girl named [name]Apollonia[/name], she went by [name]Abby[/name].

[name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Polly[/name] sound like a match made in heaven - gorgeous!

Best wishes,

rollo