Appropriate use of Carly as a nn

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Carly[/name_f] can be a nickname for any girl’s name starting with the syllable Car, or should it only be used for [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]? For example, could a chick named [name_f]Carys[/name_f] or [name_u]Carsen[/name_u] appropriately be nicknamed “[name_f]Carly[/name_f]”? For some reason I’d want to call [name_f]Carys[/name_f] “[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]” and [name_u]Carsen[/name_u] “[name_f]Carly[/name_f]” for short when saying either of them in an American accent, but I think it would really depend on the pronunciation.

Personally, I’d only use [name_f]Carly[/name_f] as a nickname for names that are feminizations of [name_m]Charles[/name_m]. Most of the [name_f]Carly[/name_f]'s I know who aren’t just named [name_f]Carly[/name_f] to begin with are actually short for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. So besides [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] etc., I’d add [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Carlotta[/name_f].

However it’s totally up to you! [name_f]Carly[/name_f] is an adorable name and one of my guilty pleasures :slight_smile:

I don’t think I would use [name_f]Carly[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Carys[/name_f], just because there’s really not “car” sound in the name. It’s Cah-ris, not Car-is. (But [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] seems fine as a [name_f]Carys[/name_f] nickname.) As for [name_u]Carsen[/name_u], if her full name was something like [name_u]Carsen[/name_u] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u], then [name_f]Carly[/name_f] would definitely work, but I’m not sure about just [name_u]Carsen[/name_u] on its own…

Otherwise, I agree with isaberry that [name_f]Carly[/name_f] works best as a nickname for feminizations of [name_m]Charles[/name_m], although I also like it as a nickname for [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f].

[name_f]Carly[/name_f] could totally be a nickname for [name_u]Carsen[/name_u]. [name_f]Carys[/name_f] is more of a stretch.