Arden or Arwen?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]!

I can’t decide wether my character should be named [name_u]Arden[/name_u] or [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], maybe you can help me out?

A little about her:
16, redhead, freckles, tall and pale. She’s friendly and sweet. She has a great sense of humor and is a bit of a goofball. She’s into superheroes and politics.

So what do you think? Is she an [name_u]Arden[/name_u] or an [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]?

thx!

What genre is your story? What’s the setting (I’m assuming modern-day)? What tone does it have? For example, if you’re writing a romance, is it a screwball-ish rom-com or a gothic supernatural romance? I’m asking this because some names just don’t go with the setting and the genre. In the case of the supernatural romance, for example, a heroine named Cookie just brings the reader out of the story (unless, of course, you’re making some point with the name).

What are her parents like (or the people who gave her her name)? Would they go for [name_u]Arden[/name_u] or [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]? What do you want to convey to the reader with the name?

If you’re going with [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], by the way, you’ll be making people think of [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] Undomiel from Tolkien.

I think [name_u]Arden[/name_u]. Plus, to expand on what namenerdery said, people could associate it with Tolkien’s [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]. You can actually read up on that phenomenon of not using iconic names on other fictional characters here. That said, [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] probably isn’t as iconic as, say, Galadriel, so you could get away with it.

I love [name_u]Arden[/name_u], it’s quite romantic and elegant as a bit of a contrast to her goofy , quirky persona.

[name_u]Arden[/name_u] is my favorite.

Go for [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], it seems quirky and cute;) Maybe you could combine it like [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] Or [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u]. Either ay it’s an awesome name!!!

[name_u]Arden[/name_u] is my favorite option. Whenever I hear [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], I immediately jump to Tolkien. But that’s just my opinion. :slight_smile: